2013: Who finished second?

Home // Forums // Movies // 2013: Who finished second?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +6 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

Preparing for the Oscar nominations, I would like to start a new type of
    conversation ‘game’ where every time I would ask the same question: who
    finished runner-up and why?

Previous Results
    2014: “Boyhood” â–ŒRichard Linklater â–ŒMichael Keaton â–ŒMarion Cotillard â–ŒEmma Stone â–ŒEdward Norton â–ŒWhiplash â–ŒThe Grand Budapest Hotel

The Categories
    BEST PICTURE
    BEST DIRECTOR
    BEST ACTOR
    BEST ACTRESS
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
    BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

So
    I would like to hear your thoughts and speculations on the 2013’s race this time. Who do you think finished runner-up and why? Remember it’s not
    about your personal preference, it’s more like a good guessing  type of
    fun.

Anonymous
    Topics:

BEST PICTURE – “Gravity”. No contest here.
    BEST DIRECTOR – Steve McQueen was runner-up.
    BEST ACTOR – Chiwetel Ejiofor or Leo DiCaprio. Probably the former.
    BEST ACTRESS – I’m that close to say Amy Adams, because she was a multiple, overdue nominee next to her four Oscar-winning fellow nominees, but it was indeed Sandra Bullock.
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR – Hopefully the wonderful Barkhad Abdi.
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS – Oprah Winfrey. Kidding. JLaw of course.
    BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY – It’s a wild idea, but what if it was “Before Midnight”?
    BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY – “American Hustle”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

Still cant believe Lupita won this year over Lawrence. She was a no name, it was her first film…

ReplyCopy URL
    MrGoodWood
    Participant
    Topics:

Picture: Gravity
    Director: McQueen
    Actor: Dicaprio
    Actress: Dench – the passion votes went to her, everything else to Blanchett. I felt like Sandra was forgotten by then.
    Supporting actor: Abdi
    Supporting actress: Lawrence, but with Sally Hawkins in a close third
    Adapted screenplay: Philomena
    Original screenplay: American Hustle

This was my first year here. I’ll never forget when Lupita won SAG, and everyone thought she had it, but then Lawrence won BAFTA and everyone was like OH SHIT. Yup, those were the days.

Keep doing these, Vincelette, it’s so much fun!

ReplyCopy URL
    Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

It was super close. Lupita won by few votes imho

ReplyCopy URL
    Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

Btw i just dont understand why Oscars and others awards shows do not reveal full results or at least who was runner up.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ryan Lapierre
    Participant
    Topics:

Gravity
    Mcqueen
    Hmmm Ejiofor I guess
    Dench
    Another hard one I’ll say Fassbender actually 
    Lawrence
    Philomina
    American Hustle 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Shocking on the Dench mentions. I honestly think she was easily 4th. 🙂 But I loved her so much in “Philomena” for sure!

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

[quote=”DamianPietrzak”]

Still cant believe Lupita won this year over Lawrence. She was a no name, it was her first film…

What the fuck? So her being in her first film shouldn’t have won her an Oscar but Lawrence should’ve won for an uneven and amateur performance? Stop it. And Lupita was the frontrunner anyway.
    [/quote]

I predicted Lupita, but it was a close race. I think what Damian meant was that it’s rare that a no name in her first film wins over a current ‘it’ girl, which is true. Lawrence was much better out of the two, but neither of them deserved the gold. Sally Hawkins should have won as I find Squibb one-note, Roberts category fraud, Lawrence average and Lupita terribly overrated in their roles.

So what is your list?

ReplyCopy URL
    Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

You are hating hard on Larwence, but this doesnt change fact that she is one of all time greats

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

You are hating hard on Larwence, but this doesnt change fact that she is one of all time greats

I hardly find Lawrence one of the all time greats, though. She is a promising young actress. That’s all so far. Just like Saoirse Ronan, Brie Larson and so on. They are too young to be called as all time greats.

ReplyCopy URL
    Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

Haters gonna hate!!! You are hating her in every thread

ReplyCopy URL
    Mladen Vukcevic
    Participant
    Topics:

I hardly find Lawrence one of the all time greats, though. She is a promising young actress. That’s all so far. Just like Saoirse Ronan, Brie Larson and so on. They are too young to be called as all time greats.

So far, Lawrence had done nothing to be in conversation of “all time greats”. Like, seriously nothing. There is fanboyism which I can understand but we should really draw some lines between objective reality and fantasies. Again, up until now, she did nothing to even mention her in that context.

As for second places in 2013:

* Gravity for Motion picture
    * McQueen as director
    * DiCaprio… Although it was 12YAS year, even then many spoke about DiCaprio being Oscarless
    * Bullock. This one was very clear – 5 absolutely amazing performances, all 5 women at their best (if Streep hadn’t won for TIL or Sandra for TBS, it would have been bloodbath)
    * Roberts – just for the sake of her being my favorite, even though it was category fraud through and through. Lawrence may had more votes and most likely was 2nd, but Julia was infinetly better than Lawrence’s role in AH.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture: Gravity, clearly. 
    Best Director: McQueen. I remember thinking with Poitter presenting and his pausing when the envelope was opened meant that he  WAS  going to win, but Cuaron won as expected.  
    Best Actor:   Ejiofor, he probably would have won if Dallas Buyers Club hadn’t come out. 
    Best Actress:  Blanchett won by a large majority I imagine, but I think Adams was second due to her 4 previous nominations.  Dench  was probably third. Bullock had lost a lot of buzz by post Oscar nominations season.   Streep was fifth for sure. 
    Best  Supporting Actor:  Abdi, although if there’s any justice in the world it would be Fassbender for his amazing performance. 
    Best Supporting Actress: Lawrence,  I thought she would be able to pull it off but Lupita was clearly very popular(That triumphant standing ovation? Wow! Still remember the Liza hug, ha ha)
    Best Original Screenlay: Precursor logic points to American Hustle, but since it went 0 for 11, did it come in second? I still think it did. I think this is the category where voters wanted to honor it, but the Her support was too strong.  Dallas Buyers Club was most likely third.  Nebraska had no buzz and  given the controversy surrounding Woody at the time, there way no way they were going to give him an Oscar for Blue Jasmine. 
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Philomena, they often like sentimental heart tugging stories(The Pianist, Precious).  If 12 Years was going to win Director or Best Actor, they could have passed it over and honored Philomena instead, but they needed to give 12 Years another Oscar win.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Picture: Gravity
    Director: McQueen

Actor: Could’ve been anyone but Bale really. DiCaprio was the showiest and was considered overdue, but how well liked was WoWS by the Academy at large except for those passion votes which got it the nominations? Controversial and divisive films like this rarely get the concensus support to win lead acting awards. Bruce Dern was highly respected and probably got more votes from this group than any other, due to the higher age average, but it was also a very quiet performance and I’m not sure he got that much support from most of the tech branches. Ejiofor probably would’ve been the likeliest winner sans DBC, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he came in second with McConaughey in play. He might have, though. He had a lot of the Brit support too. Put a gun to my head, I’ll go with him.

Actress: It’s another all-but-one situation, that ‘one’ being Streep this time. Something tells me Bullock might not have been that well appreciated by some who saw it as more of a “visual” film than an “actor’s” film, particularly as she doesn’t engage in that much histrionics. Even Dench might have got more votes than her – remember Philomena shocked most when it was announced as a Best Picture nominee, and many considered Dench overdue for a lead win. But Adams hadn’t won at all, was on her fifth nomination and was sexy and the emotional centre of American Hustle. Her role was more dramatic than many make it out to be, and I doubt that SAG snub meant shit by February. Without Blanchett I really think Best Actress would’ve been the one category AH was a safe frontrunner in.

Supporting Actor: Barkhad Abdi. In some ways he was the male counterpart to Lupita Nyong’o, a young African in a prestigious film debut. And unlike Lupita, his role was big – some even considered him a co-lead. He also “spoiled” Michael Fassbender for the BAFTA.

Supporting Actress: JLaw probably, but June Squibb might’ve been closer to her than she was to Lupita.

Original Screenplay: American Hustle of course.

Adapted Screenplay: Despite the WGA win, I don’t think Captain Phillips was very strong in this race. It’s just not the sort of film that wins writing Oscars. I think Philomena had the most passionate support out of the four.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
Reply To: 2013: Who finished second?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.