Home Forums Movies 2014 in Sci-Fi movies

2014 in Sci-Fi movies

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
KyleBailey
babypook
BrokenFan
  • Manuel Colon
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh boy, what a great year for Science Fiction in film! We usually get a ton of bad sci-fi movies every year but this year we all have been surprised by the quality of work.

We have Captain America: TWS, X-Men: DOFP, DOTPOTA, Edge Of Tomorrow and now Guardians Of The Galaxy (Which i thought was going to be a horrible film but ended up gaining some acclaim). With Interstellar and THG: Mockingjay.1 coming later this year we could have two more great sci-fi movies.

Give me your opinion on this great year for science fiction!

BrokenFan
    Topics:

I’ve seen all of those except the last two, Edge of Tomorrow, I missed in theatres :/  and Guardian of the Galaxy, which looks like a lot of fun. 

I’m actually very surprised at how strong this year’s been, in both blockbusters and non-blockbusters. I just hope this continues with the awards tinged movies. 

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t forget about Lucy! While it wasn’t quite as good as I thought it could be, I enjoyed it. Certainly a worthy effort and worth seeing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Manuel Colon
    Participant
    Topics:

Godzilla can be added too, not a critical darling but at least it wasn’t like the 98 one…. 

ReplyCopy URL
    ActingDude17
    Participant
    Topics:

This is a very fair observation. I’d also add Snowpiercer to the list. I’ve seen X-Men: Days of Future Past and Edge of Tomorrow and while neither wowed me, I appreciated their efforts. The hype around Guardians of the Galaxy has this non-Marvel, non-SciFi enthusiast curious enough to see the film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

Edge of Tomorrow, Lucy, Godzilla.  They’re the top 3 so far.  I’m still not sold on the campiness of GotG. And this fall we’ve got Mockingjay 1 (Hunger Games) and Interstellar,  So 2014 won’t be a total washout for good sci-fi!

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

What a wonderful thread. So (comforting) seeing other Sci-Fi fans.

I’d make a case for The Lego Movie being somewhat sci-fi.

Under the Skin

Let’s give a shout-out to Transformers shall we? And the marginal ‘failure’, Transcendence.

If I place Noah in here which could transfer into Fantasy as well, will this anger anyone?

Coming soon:

Jupiter Ascending….

Earth to Echo

The Giver

The Rocket

Snowpiercer and Edge of Tomorrow are two of the better films I’ve seen this year.

When a Sci fi with the smarts and calibre of a film like, 2001 A Space Odyssey, or the egregiously overlooked Cloud Atlas, is cited with awards,  then I’ll be happy.

One can hope. Lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

^Jupiter Ascending is coming out next year. It got postponed for unspeciied reasons. (Probably because it screened badly with the studio)

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

I am a very tough critic with sci-fi, as it is one of my genres.  For all the recent sci-fi movies (they generally make bank, big effects model = money), I really can’t go out of my way to praise any of them except for box office failure Cloud Atlas, which was sorely overlooked for Oscar nominations.  It was as if the critics killed it, the ones that didn’t get it.  That music score, the production value, the sound, heck even the actors–I would kill for a role like that, playing six different people at six different times.  Maybe casting Halle Berry was the problem; she seems to be bad luck these days–and Tom Hanks was kind of over-and-done before Captain Phillips.  To be honest, most comic book movies aren’t real science fiction (I’d count V for Vendetta)…they are simply action movies, following the trajectory of past films like Aliens more than the superior, sure-fire top 10 of the sci-fi genre: Alien.  When I think science fiction, I always look to Blade Runner, which is amazing for me and means a great deal.  So many aspects of that film are just perfect; the production design, the direction, the performances (everyone always underestimates what Harrison Ford does in everything; it’s a lot harder than it looks), Vangelis’ work (blows his Oscar winning Chariots of Fire music out of the water, with jazz, piano, electronics, blues), the sound design.  I find my reaction to it so emotional that I’m crying through certain scenes, it’s that powerful and primal.  How I wish to see a film in the genre reach that level again.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Under the Skin

Let’s give a shout-out to Transformers shall we? And the marginal ‘failure’, Transcendence.

If I place Noah in here which could transfer into Fantasy as well, will this anger anyone?

Coming soon:

Jupiter Ascending….

Earth to Echo

The Giver

The Rocket

Snowpiercer and Edge of Tomorrow are two of the better films I’ve seen this year.

When a Sci fi with the smarts and calibre of a film like, 2001 A Space Odyssey, or the egregiously overlooked Cloud Atlas, is cited with awards,  then I’ll be happy.

One can hope. Lol.

I would consider Noah more of an epic or an adventure film than fantasy. Yes there were big giant rock things but it is a biblical story so I think fantasy is pushing it. Earth to Echo already came out and the consensus was that it was a giant rip off of E.T. Terry Gilliam has a new movie coming out The Zero Therom with Christoph Waltz which I’m sure will be excellent. We also had Robocop which was a meh movie but not a horrible one.  

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”babypook”]

Under the Skin

Coming soon:

Jupiter Ascending….

Earth to Echo

The Giver

The Rocket

One can hope. Lol.

I would consider Noah more of an epic or an adventure film than fantasy. Yes there were big giant rock things but it is a biblical story so I think fantasy is pushing it. Earth to Echo already came out and the consensus was that it was a giant rip off of E.T. Terry Gilliam has a new movie coming out The Zero Therom with Christoph Waltz which I’m sure will be excellent. We also had Robocop which was a meh movie but not a horrible one.  [/quote]

I agree with you somewhat here, although I look at it as a political document more than anything else, and one heckofa story.

Thanks for the head’s up on Earth to Echo. I completely missed that.

I expect Zero Therom to be very very interesting.

I have no problem with a sci-fi trend, even if they’re like the campy fatalistic and paranoid ones that dominated the ’50’s, just as I have very little aversion to the Biblical and religious ones coming out now. These trends rise and fall and the Western Bible has never become obsolete.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

All i’m saying is Noah is far from being science fiction if that is what we are including on this thread. I would put it in the same boat (no pun intended) with Exodus coming out later this year just as biblical epics. I’m not a die hard Christian but calling it fantasy is a bit too far I think 

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

And Earth to Echo was burried at the box office by Tammy and Transformers so I’m not suprised you missed it 

ReplyCopy URL
    Manuel Colon
    Participant
    Topics:

Babypook i always love your comments! I totally forgot about Snowpiercer, and The Lego Movie deserves to be in any list about great films haha

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

lol I would call Noah science fiction except there wasn’t any trace of science in it, however fictional it may be. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
Reply To: 2014 in Sci-Fi movies

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.