Home Forums Movies 2014 Oscars Ceremony Reactions & Comments 2

2014 Oscars Ceremony Reactions & Comments 2

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
TomHardys
24Emmy
rstang00
  • babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Please continue….

TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

Fashionably late to the party.
    The best thing about these Oscars was without a doubt Lady Gaga’s performance (imo). And when a musical performance outshines the rest that happened in an awards show about MOVIES you can tell the quality of the ceremony itself. NPH was awful (at least he wasn’t offensive like MacFarlane but still an awful presenter like I sensed he would be – give him some rest Hollywood). Graham Moore’s speech was very beautiful and I cheered with Patricia Arquette’s equal rights rant. Amazing. 

I’m disappointed that Keaton didn’t win but at least Boyhood didn’t win the awards that it didn’t deserve. The good thing about Redmayne winning is that Leonardo DiCaprio/Jake Gyllenhaal/Bryan Cranston just lost one major contender for the Best Actor prize next year.

Between Boyhood and Birdman and since Whiplash would never win it, I’m glad the awards went to the better film. Birdman is an outstanding, revolutionary film and I’m glad a groundbreaking artsy film got the top prize, for a change.

ReplyCopy URL
    Troy
    Topics:

Fashionably late to the party.
    The best thing about these Oscars was without a doubt Lady Gaga’s performance (imo). And when a musical performance outshines the rest that happened in an awards show about MOVIES you can tell the quality of the ceremony itself. 

I agree.  Someone in the last thread asked  “Did we really need the Lady Gaga performance?” since the show was already running late.  The answer is YES, YES we did.  She was easily a highlight of the entire show and I would have much rather seen her perform that all the minutes NPH wasted on that stupid “locked prediction ballot box” gag. 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree.  Someone in the last thread asked  “Did we really need the Lady Gaga performance?” since the show was already running late.  The answer is YES, YES we did.  She was easily a highlight of the entire show and I would have much rather seen her perform that all the minutes NPH wasted on that stupid “locked prediction ballot box” gag. [/quote]

I am still quite surprised that people didnt think she can sing, or that there’s this perception that she cant. LOLOL! Why is that I wonder? Because of the way she dresses on stage? The arrangements? WTF?

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree Pook. I always said she was a marvelous singer even though I’m not the biggest fan of her pop music. I mean look at her song called Speechless. It’s a power rock-y ballad and it’s AMAZING. Her performance at the Oscars was unbelievable.

ReplyCopy URL
    seabel
    Participant
    Topics:

Terrible ceremony.

Lame presenters choices.

Awful, sad host.

Nice (but not enthusiastic) winners.

ReplyCopy URL
    Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m disappointed that Keaton didn’t win but at least Boyhood didn’t win the awards that it didn’t deserve. The good thing about Redmayne winning is that Leonardo DiCaprio/Jake Gyllenhaal/Bryan Cranston just lost one major contender for the Best Actor prize next year.

I’m so terrified to break this to you Tom…people are already starting the “Eddie Redmayne will Tom Hanks next year” talk 

I’m so here for Jake Gyllenhaal (his film has apparently been described as very American Beauty-esque) and of course Leonardo DiCaprio. I am with you in holding out hope for Bryan Cranston to get his third piece of the EGOT

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”tomhardys”]

I’m so terrified to break this to you Tom…people are already starting the “Eddie Redmayne will Tom Hanks next year” talk 

I’m so here for Jake Gyllenhaal (his film has apparently been described as very American Beauty-esque) and of course Leonardo DiCaprio. I am with you in holding out hope for Bryan Cranston to get his third piece of the EGOT

[/quote]

The same people that ALSO have the nerve to call him this generation’s Daniel Day-Lewis? LMAO.

Where did you get that info regarding Demolition? 

ReplyCopy URL
    Etchie
    Topics:

LATE but anyone posted this STREEP HIJACKED ARQUETTE’S SPEECH from Rush Limbaugh ???

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2015/02/23/patricia_arquette_is_right_about_women_in_hollywood_and_on_hillary_clinton_s_staff

You know Hillary, when she was a senator, the women on Hillary’s staff did indeed make 72 cents for every dollar that a man made.  So here’s the relevant sound bite from Patricia Arquette.  It goes by in 20 seconds.  She’s yelling and screaming out there and if you didn’t see this, this whole sound bite has been hijacked by Meryl Streep.  ‘Cause what happened, did you see it, Dawn?  Did you watch it?  Did you see it, Brian?  Ah, you’ve got a kid.  No way.  So she says what she says, yells and screams, not quite Hillary screeching, but she got close.  And she read it, she had it all typed out and written, she put her glasses on and read the thing and was nervous and out of breath.

But when she got to the pay off, the camera cut to Meryl Streep, who is always in the front row — did you know what?  I was shocked when I found out Meryl Streep’s only won three Oscars.  I thought she won 73.  I thought Meryl Streep got an Oscar every year, sometimes five.  I was shocked she only has three.  Three?  She’s up there every year it seems like. 

Anyway, as soon as Patricia Arquette delivered the money line, Meryl Streep just popped up like she was a jack-in-the-box, started applauding and high-fiving and fist bumping, and as far as the low-information voters today are concerned it’s Meryl Streep who said it.  Patricia Arquette’s comments have been totally hijacked, if you saw it, by Meryl Streep.  Here’s the sound bite.

ARQUETTE:  To every woman who gave birth, to every taxpayer and citizen of this nation, we have fought for everybody else’s equal rights.  It’s our time to have wage equality once and for all, and equal rights for women in the United States of America.

RUSH:  Bam.  Cut to Meryl Streep, she is outta her chair. Jennifer Lopez is right next to her going nuts, but Streep took over the screen at that point and just starts fist bumping and high-fiving and shouting, and everybody forgot about Patricia Arquette.  By the way, that voice, that’s not her professional voice. I mean, I complimented her voice, it’s unique.  That, she was just shouting, and you heard her out of breath.  I’m out of breath listening to that.  (breathing hard)  Man, gotta take a breath here. (interruption) What were you gonna say, Snerdley?  What was it? 

Oh, it had everything in the world to do with — you remember Amy Pascal who got canned at Sony? (interruption) Well, yeah, but she found out that she was making much less than her co-CEO, and there was some other in those e-mails, in that hack, who was it?  Some other female actress, I can’t remember who it was, but it was also documented that the women, at least being paid by Sony, are being paid much less than the men. 

Patricia Arquette was really talking about women in Hollywood and women on Hillary Clinton’s staff, as I found out.  In the rest of the culture and society, I don’t think it’s as big a problem as it used to be, equal pay, but this felt like a throwback.  This is something I felt like I could have heard in the seventies, and here it is 2015.

This is in the Washington Free Beacon: “Hillary Clinton portrays herself as a champion of women in the workforce, but women working for her in the U.S. Senate were paid 72 cents for each dollar paid to men, according to a Washington Free Beacon analysis of her Senate years’ salary data. During those years, the median annual salary for a woman working in Clinton’s office was $15,708.38 less than the median salary for a man, according to the analysis of data compiled from official Senate expenditure reports. The analysis compiled the annual salaries paid to staffers –” 

See, this is what I love.  It’s always the left’s up there standing up, yelling, whining, moaning, bellyaching, and when you find out who it is they’re mad at, it’s themselves.  Sony was underpaying women.  Now here’s Hillary underpaying women.  But there’s Patricia Arquette, the poor woman got her whole moment hijacked by Meryl Streep.  It was amazing.

Look, Meryl Streep’s in the front row.  She knows a camera when she sees it, obviously.  She knows when the red light on the camera is on.  She knows it.  There’s a body watch camera on Meryl Streep.  She knows this.  I mean, she popped up at the right moment, and the director cut right to her reaction.  In the movie business, that is called stealing focus.  There is an actual term for it.  Stealing focus.  And it’s taboo.  It’s considered bush league.  Now, you won’t hear that said about Meryl Streep because Meryl Streep has won 73 Oscars and speaks 115 languages with 1,400 different accents, not to mention the dialects, so you just don’t attack her.

So why don’t they take the lead?  Now that we know that women are underpaid in Hollywood, at least as compared to men, why don’t these sensitive, aware, devoted-to-equality male actors take the lead on this?  Patricia Arquette showed the way. Meryl Streep popped up and shouted her agreement.  Male stars need to actively say to the studios and producers, “I’m not gonna do this unless my female co-star earns as much as I do.  And if I have to give back 20% of what you’ve offered me so that my female co-star could make as much as I do in this movie, then that’s what I will do.” 

ReplyCopy URL
    keithw
    Topics:

I thought Lady Gaga’s performance was also the best thing about the show (as well as Patriica Arquette winning) and it allowed for that great surprise introduction for Julie Andrews…..the best moment of the show!

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

All this outrage about Joan Rivers’ omission in the In Memoriam tribute. What about Academy Award nominee Joan Lorring?

ReplyCopy URL
    Gone_Guy
    Topics:

Highlight of the night:
    Lady GaGa’s tribute to The Sound of Music, followed by the surprise appearance of Julie Andrews. Truly an Oscar moment that will be talked about for years and years.

Favorite win of the night:
    Julianne Moore, Still Alice. It’s been a looong time coming. How thrilling for her to win in front of so many colleagues over the years. Including, but not limited to, her leading ladies from The Hours, Meryl Streep and Nicole Kidman. Her writer/director from Boogie Nights, Paul Thomas Anderson. Her costar that she suggested be hired for Savage Grace, Eddie Redmayne. Her recent Non-Stop costars, Liam Neeson and Lupita Nyong’o. Her daughter from Carrie, Choe Grace Moretz. Her costar from both The Kids Are All Right and The Hunger Games, Josh Hutcherson. Her costars from Crazy, Stupid, Love, Steve Carell and Emma Stone. And those are just mainly actors. Plenty of crew in the audience as well (shout-out to her Children of Men cinematographer, taking a second Oscar in a row!). 

Honorable mentions:
    – Jennifer Hudson singing the In Memorium. Truly a shame the Academy left Joan Rivers out. She contributed so heavily to making the Oscars the ‘event’ of the year that it is today.

– John Legend and Common. It was their moment and they took it. Twice. That is, performing it and winning for it, delivering a great speech in the process.

– Any and everyone that continued talking through the time-is-up music. Good for them for taking their moment, one of the highest points in many of their careers, and saying exactly what they want to say.

– Patricia Arquette. Loved the win, loved what she said, but it would have been so much more affective had she not brought that damn paper. 

– All of the performances, really. I enjoyed the Original Song performances, and I enjoyed the special performances. I am surprised at this.

– Most of the wins. Love that the wealth was spread across all eight Best Picture nominees, plus two other films (Still Alice in Lead Actress, Interstellar in Visual Effects). That’s 10 feature films honored with an Oscar. Very nice.

Everything else? Meh. Some things that could be helped, some that couldn’t (i.e. they were planned). Including, but not limited to:

– Sean Penn’s “joke.” I get that Inarriti and he are friends, that Inarritu thought it was funny, that they worked together on 21 Grams, etc. etc. etc. But it still wasn’t funny. And a really poor time to make a joke anyway. It’s not about you and your jokes, Sean Penn. You’ve literally just opened the envelope. It’s about saying who/what is in the envelope. I hate when presenters do this. The worst is Barbra Streisand. For Million Dollar Baby, it was “Clint, I’m so glad to give this to you again. Million Dollar Baby!” For Kathryn Bigelow, it was “The time has come….. Kathryn Bigelow!” But Penn will by far remain the worst. 

– NPH. Outside of Lopez and Anderson-Lopez, the team of writers NPH was given completely failed him. He’s hosted the Tonys four times and nailed it. He’s hosted the Primetime Emmys twice and nailed it. But his stab at hosting the Oscars? Just not that good. “So cute you could eat her with a spoon”? “Edward Snowden isn’t here for some treason”? The joke he tricked David Oyelowo into? No, no, no. I didn’t mind the “It takes a lot of balls to wear a dress like that” jab, but the timing was terrible, considering the nature of her speech.

– Some of the wins. I truly think Birdman was the Best Picture of the year. But I think Boyhood was the best directed film of the year. And certainly, The Grand Budapest Hotel was certainly the most original screenplay of the year (with Birdman right under it). That is considering Whiplash is in Adapted. 

– Thrilled for Whiplash and its three wins, but it really should have won Adapted Screenplay. This category was just mucked up all season, considering Gillian Flynn wasn’t even nominated for Gone GIrl

It sounds like a lot of criticism, and I suppose it is, but I didn’t hate the Oscars this year. I think it was saved by the performances, and seeing three actors win Oscars that I never thought get them.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Participant
    Topics:

Those who received Lego oscar were the real winners.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Good, Worthy 
    – Lady Gaga’s performance
    – Jennifer Hudson’s performance 
    – Eddie Redmayne’s win
    – Julianne Moore’s win

Bad; Annoying
    – Birdman’s Oscars for Directing and Writing
    – The Grand Budapest Hotel snubbed for the big prizes
    – Michael Keaton fanboys’ reacting on the ceremony 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

[quote=”EmmyFan123″][quote=”tomhardys”]

[/quote]

The same people that ALSO have the nerve to call him this generation’s Daniel Day-Lewis? LMAO.

Where did you get that info regarding Demolition? [/quote]

I love how some of you are so judgemental with a young actor. He can pretty much be the next DDL. He’s still young, had a nice career so far, just won an Oscar, and starring one of the baitiest projects next year. Let’s just wait with the skeptical comments a bit.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Reply To: 2014 Oscars Ceremony Reactions & Comments 2

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.