2014 SAG Nominations Reactions Film

Home // Forums // Movies // 2014 SAG Nominations Reactions Film

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Amanda Spears
    Topics:

BEST ENSEMBLE
    Birdman
    Boyhood
    The Grand Budapest Hotel
    The Imitation Game
    “The Theory of Everything”

BEST ACTOR
    Steve Carell, “Foxcatcher”
    Benedict Cumberbatch, “The Imitation Game#”
    Jake Gyllenhaal, “Nightcrawler”
    Michael Keaton, “Birdman”
    Eddie Redmayne, “The Theory of Everything

BEST ACTRESS
    Jennifer Aniston, “Cake”
    Felicity Jones, “The Theory of Everything”
    Julianne Moore, “Still Alice
    Rosamund Pike, “Gone Girl
    Reese Witherspoon, “Wild

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Robert Duvall, “The Judge
    Ethan Hawke, “Boyhood” 
    Edward Norton, “Birdman”
    Mark Ruffalo, “Foxcatcher”
    J.K. Simmons, “Whiplash” 

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Patricia Arquette, “Boyhood”
    Keira Knightley, “The Imitation Game”
    Emma Stone, “Birdman”
    Meryl Streep, “Into the Wood”
    Naomi Watts, “St. Vincent”

Amanda Spears
    Topics:

Ensemble: Didn’t see Immitation Game or The Theory of Everything coming. Would be happy to see Birdman or The Grand Budapest Hotel win they are true ensemble pieces.

Actress: I predicted Jennifer Anniston so I feel pretty good about this! On the other hand I bumped Felicity Jones and SAG bumped Adams which could spell trouble for the latter.

Actor: Gyllenhaal gets the fifth spot…will he get a globe nomination. Also can anyone tell me of the last incident at the Oscars in the Best Actor category where three or four of the nominees were British (and for argument sake lets include Day Lewis since he was knighted afterall) I know it did happen in 1997 on the ladies side when Helen Hunt claimed the trophy. I could not find one in the past 20 years which should improve his odds of this being a repeat at the Oscars.

Supporting: 
    Went pretty much as planned. The fifth slot seems to be open and I’m not confident Duvall can pull this one out. As for Watts if this were for Birdman I would almost be willing to change my Oscar predictions. 

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

1 was 20 for 25 – I had 2 nominations (ensemble and David Oyelowo) for Selma; was it ineligible? The only category i got all five was Supporting Actor – 4 for 5 in Actor, Actress, and Supporting Actress, and 3 for 5 in Ensemble (didn’t think The Imitation Game or The Theory Of Everything had strong enough ensemble casts).

The biggest shock for me was The Theory Of Everything and Naomi Watts for St. Vincent – didn’t see either of them as even a remote possibility! But SAG always has some unusual choices.

I am looking forward to seeing Cake – it sounds wonderful and a very different role for Ms. Aniston. This is the problem with nominations coming out before you can get a chance to see the actual performances.

Biggest happy surprise: JAKE GYLLENHAAL!!!!!! (: Yeah!

My picks:
    Actress: Julianne Moore, Still Alice (haven’t seen Jennifer Aniston, though)
    Actor: Eddie Redmayne, The Theory Of Everything
    Supporting Actor: Ethan Hawke, Boyhood
    Supporting Actress: Patricia Arquette, Boyhood
    Ensemble: The Grand Budapest Hotel

Their picks:
    Actress: Julianne Moore, Still Alice
    Actor: Michael Keaton, Birdman
    Supporting Actor: J.K. Simmons, Whiplash
    Supporting Actress: Patricia Arquette, Boyhood
    Ensemble: Birdman

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

Big boosts for The Grand Budapest Hotel after an already strong week, and it just confirms what I suspect about the warm love for The Theory of Everything. It’s hard to read into the weird acting nominations because Oscars haven’t gone along with SAG’s weird choices in recent years (also the lack of Selma, which we know wasn’t able to send out screeners to the voting commitee in time). It depends a lot on how Gyllenhaal, Aniston, Duvall and Watts (I mean…) capitalize on whatever cachet this gives them in the later season. It’s still so early, but they’ll look a lot better if the Globes go for them as well. If it helps anyone the most I imagine it’s Carell, who had been completely absent from the precursors so far (aside from “honorary,” aka consolation, ensemble prizes).

As far as the wins go, it’d be hard to imagine Birdman doesn’t win Ensemble. But if something like The Imitation Game or Boyhood picks this up, look out for them for the BP win. I think it’s also a must-win for Keaton, who would have a much harder path to the Oscar if he loses this to Benedict or Eddie (especially if they go on to win the BAFTA). I think Arquette and Simmons (especially) are solid bets. 

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Other than Watts, I am happy with the nominees. Nothing against Watts but not really sure what made her performance so great in that film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Pretty good selections throughout. I just have small problems with Aniston and Watts getting nominated, and how is Get on Up “Stunt Ensemble”? I mean seriously.

ReplyCopy URL
    Stardust
    Participant
    Topics:

Anniston’s hard work off-screen sure paid off. 

Glad Budapest got a major nod. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Ryan2012
    Participant
    Topics:

How can you have a “problem” with performaces you haven’t even seen yet?

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Ugh why the hell is Naomi Watts here? Happy to see Gyllenhaal and Budapest Hotel in 

ReplyCopy URL
    Lionel Fox
    Participant
    Topics:

I expected that Foxcatcher and Into the Woods would made it to Best Ensemble. I was shocked when Marion Cotillard was snubbed for Aniston. 

ReplyCopy URL
    anarchy
    Participant
    Topics:

The biggest shock must be Get On Up for stunt. And it got in over Interstellar, the only category it has a chance in. 🙁

Very happy for Gyllenhaal. Anniston and Watts were shocking, so were Theory of Everything and perhaps Imitation Game. Expected Foxcatcher and Into the Woods. 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Ugh why the hell is Naomi Watts here? Happy to see Gyllenhaal and Budapest Hotel in 

She’s not a great choice imo. Why is she here? Lol. Wtfks. Must have been that thick, unconvincing accent. And I generally love her work.

At least Aniston worked hard for her nom. Kudos to her. If either of them show up on that final ballot….well, would we be as surprised by then? Lol

ReplyCopy URL
    nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

SAG likes to go for their veterns in showy roles so I personally don’t expect Duvall or Watts (I guess she’s a veteran) to repeat. Watts reminds me a lot of Kidman for the Paperboy. Baity role on paper in a movie that no one’s really talking about. And Duvall seems very much like a Garner in The Notebook or even James Gandolfini in Enough Said. I don’t think he’ll get through. Aniston however I think this is a very good sign for. If she gets in at globes too I think I might switch Blunt out for her. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Zayner
    Participant
    Topics:

Would have preferred Rene Russo (Nightcrawler) over Naomi Watts (St Vincent)

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmys2011
    Participant
    Topics:

– I haven´t seen St. Vincent, but its always great to see Watts recognized for anything. If she had to be nominated though, Birdman would´ve been nice.

– Gyllenhaal was the best nominee. Period. He is probably in for  globe and broadcast critis nominations. Oscar might slip away, but he is officially a threat!

– Jennifer Aniston was a nice surprise, and probably a lock for globe nomination at this point. No oscar for her though…

– Someone please tell me that Chastains snub was because they had little time to watch the screeners and not because she cancelled herself out.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
Reply To: 2014 SAG Nominations Reactions Film

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.