2014: Who finished runner-up?

Home // Forums // Movies // 2014: Who finished runner-up?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

Preparing for the Oscar nominations, I would like to start a new type of conversation ‘game’ where every time I would ask the same question: who finished runner-up and why?

The Categories
    BEST PICTURE
    BEST DIRECTOR
    BEST ACTOR
    BEST ACTRESS
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
    BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

So I would like to hear your thoughts and speculations on the 2014’s race first. Who do you think finished runner-up and why? Remember it’s not about your personal preference, it’s more like a good guessing  type of fun.

Anonymous
    Topics:

BEST PICTURE – “Boyhood”. No contest here.
    BEST DIRECTOR – Richard Linklater. No contest here 2.0.
    BEST ACTOR – I’m very skeptical about Michael Keaton as “Spotlight” proved to be strong whitout him in the race, so what if “Birdman” made it that far also by itself. Maybe the success didn’t exactly mean that Keaton was runner-up. I would say, Bradley Cooper.
    BEST ACTRESS – I think when all the voters have seen (so not just the passionate ones who made her a nominee) Marion Cotillard‘s performance in “Two Days, One Night”, there is no way they didn’t rank her in Top 2 & 3.
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR – Edward Norton. But Mark Ruffalo was a strong third.
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS – Probably Emma Stone. There was no other alternative.
    BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY – “Whiplash”. I think most people expected that to win.
    BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY- “The Grand Budapest Hotel”. Shame it lost.

ReplyCopy URL
    Deniz Sisman
    Participant
    Topics:

-Boyhood(obv.)
    -Richard Linklater
    -Michael Keaton
    -Felicity Jones(By a large margin, though)
    -Edward Norton
    -Emma Stone
    -The Theory of Everything
    -The Grand Budapest Hotel 

ReplyCopy URL
    Tom
    Participant
    Topics:

I think this has been discussed before but possibly only for acting categories. I will join as I enjoy reading other opinions.

BEST PICTURE – Boyhood as mentioned above. Although I think The Grand Budapest Hotel or Whiplash (depite no Director nomination) could have pulled a surprise here.

BEST DIRECTOR – again Richard Linklater was the competition here.

BEST ACTOR – I don’t think Michael Keaton placed second, I believe it was Bradley Cooper

BEST ACTRESS – I would like to think Rosamund Pike placed second but there was no love outside of her nomination for the film (even though many of us predicted it to do well). IMO this was a good category and I would not have been surprised if Reese Witherspoon placed second.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR – Edward Norton was the best acting performance in his film so I assume it was him. If not then Mark Ruffalo may have been there.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS – Keira Knightley should have been second by a landlside. Her performance was good and the film performed well in the nomination tally.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY – I think American Sniper placed second. Similarly to how I think Captain Phillips placed second the year before.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY – no competition here, it had to be The Grand Budapest Hotel.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

BEST PICTURE: Probably Boyhood, although Budapest might have done better given the consensus-system.
    BEST DIRECTOR: It’s easier to say Linklater, here. I think even if not everyone got the fuss over Boyhood it was still pretty easy to root for the guy. 
    BEST ACTOR: Michael Keaton, by some distance, although I think he was a distant second himself. 
    BEST ACTRESS: Felicity Jones, judging from her film’s broader support.
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Edward Norton. 
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: I’m tempted to say Keira Knightley. 
    BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: I’m pretty sure it was Whiplash. 
    BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Certainly Anderson. It’s disappointing that the Academy didn’t do a Picture/Director/Screenplay split with Birdman/Linklater/Anderson, to give each film its due (I’m not a Birdman fan but if that was voters’ favorite then so be it, but why all three?!). 

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

There is no way Cotillard came 2nd. I doubt most voters even saw the film. Jones or Pike came 2nd. I’d be shocked if Marion was anything but 5th.

Keaton was an easy 2nd. I suspect Cooper was 4th with Carell last.

Norton and Stone seem pretty obvious runners up.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

There is no way Cotillard came 2nd. I doubt most voters even saw the film. Jones or Pike came 2nd. I’d be shocked if Marion was anything but 5th.

Keaton was an easy 2nd. I suspect Cooper was 4th with Carell last.

Norton and Stone seem pretty obvious runners up.

I think for the nomination, Cotillard made the cut based on her strong and passionate fan base’s votes. For the second round, as a nominee, her film was seen by most members, and she was an easy runner-up to Moore. I think Rosamund Pike was a clear 5th in both rounds. It’s an amazing performance, but “Gone Girl” underperformed. Yes, “Two Days and One Night” as well, in a way, but a day before the Oscars “Gone Girl” was a sure bet for many categories, while “Two Days….” wasn’t. So I would consider as a sign.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture: Boyhood, though Grand Budapest was probably third. 
    Director: Linklater
    Actor: Keaton(no way Cooper was 2nd)
    Actress: Tricky, but I’d say Cotillard as well.  (no way Jones was second! For that performance? Give me a break!)
    Supporting Actor:  Norton
    Supporting Actress:  Stone
    Original Screeplay: Grand Budapest
    Adapted Screeplay:   Whiplash 

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

BEST PICTURE: Probably Boyhood, although Budapest might have done better given the consensus-system.
    BEST DIRECTOR: It’s easier to say Linklater, here. I think even if not everyone got the fuss over Boyhood it was still pretty easy to root for the guy. 
    BEST ACTOR: Michael Keaton, by some distance, although I think he was a distant second himself. 
    BEST ACTRESS: Felicity Jones, judging from her film’s broader support.
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Edward Norton. 
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: I’m tempted to say Keira Knightley. 
    BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: I’m pretty sure it was Whiplash. 
    BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Certainly Anderson. It’s disappointing that the Academy didn’t do a Picture/Director/Screenplay split with Birdman/Linklater/Anderson, to give each film its due (I’m not a Birdman fan but if that was voters’ favorite then so be it, but why all three?!). 

I remember being very surprised by Birdman’s victory that night over Budapest for Screenplay-  I agree with you, you’d think they’d spread the wealth and give the much overdue Anderson an award, especially for a film they seemed to love .  That was probably REALLY, REALLY close! 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I’m extremely sad of the “Birdman” ORIGINAL Screenplay win. Worst winner of the night. It was anything, but original. I’m not saying that they stole other people’s idea, but they weren’t incredibly original with the theatre/burn-out actor/young-old actors fighting type of topics either.

“The Grand Budapest Hotel” should have won Picture, Director, Screenplay, and most of the creative categories as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mladen Vukcevic
    Participant
    Topics:

Boyhood, Linklater, Keaton (given all the love for the movie), Jones (perhaps Cotillard, but the 2nd place here was closer to 5th than to 1st), Norton and Stone.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Picture: Boyhood
    Director: Linklater
    Actor: Keaton (do we actually know that Cooper was all that strong in the race? Ultimately he might not have ranked that much higher than Cumberbatch.)
    Actress: The signs indicate Witherspoon. If it wasn’t for Still Alice, she’d probably be a 2-time Oscar winner now. Gone Girl underperformed in noms, most of the attention for TofE was geared towards Redmayne at the winning stage, and many voters probably didn’t watch 2 Days 1 Night. Plus that Laura Dern nod was a good sign.
    Supporting Actor: Norton, obviously 
    Supporting Actress: Stone probably, due to that shouting scene, though there’s a chance it might have been Knightley
    Original Screenplay: Grand Budapest of course. This was so disappointing – I’d been predicting Budapest and then a split second before the announcement I thought “it’s Birdman isn’t it.” 
    Adapted Screenplay. Inherent Vice – I wish! Anderson double-whammy! Nah, Whiplash. But that was such an underwhelming category on the whole. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

I think for the nomination, Cotillard made the cut based on her strong and passionate fan base’s votes. For the second round, as a nominee, her film was seen by most members, and she was an easy runner-up to Moore. I think Rosamund Pike was a clear 5th in both rounds. It’s an amazing performance, but “Gone Girl” underperformed. Yes, “Two Days and One Night” as well, in a way, but a day before the Oscars “Gone Girl” was a sure bet for many categories, while “Two Days….” wasn’t. So I would consider as a sign.

I get your point. I suspect Moore got around 80% so whover came 2nd did so with very few votes and passion for Cotillard may have boosted her showing. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Monty
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture: Boyhood
    Best Director: Richard Linklater
    Best Actor: Michael Keaton (he is the central character of the Best Picture and he won a myriad of precursors and critics awards)
    Best Actress: Marion Cotillard (it could easily be Reese Witherspoon, really very difficult to say)
    Best Supporting Actor: Edward Norton (simply because he won all the awards that Simmons didn’t win)
    Best Supporting Actress: Emma Stone
    Best Original Screenplay: The Grand Budapest Hotel (easy pick)
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Whiplash (easy pick)

ReplyCopy URL
    Xtina
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture: Boyhood
    Best Director: Richard Linklater
    Best Actor: Michael Keaton
    Best Actress: Felicity Jones
    Best Supporting Actor: Mark Ruffalo
    Best Supporting Actress: Laura Dern

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: 2014: Who finished runner-up?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.