Home Forums Movies 2015 boxing films — most anticipated?

2015 boxing films — most anticipated?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • 24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

2015 is the year of the boxing film. So, on the day of a very pimped real boxing match which of these four movies are you most looking forward to watching?

Bleed for This

The inspirational story of World Champion Boxer Vinny Pazienza, who after a near fatal car crash, which left him not knowing if he’d ever walk again, made one of sports most incredible comebacks.

director — Ben Younger

cast — Miles Teller, Katey Sagal, Aaron Eckhart, and Ciarán Hinds

release date — TBD

distributor — Open Road

Creed

Adonis Creed, Apollo Creed’s son, travels to Philadelphia, where he meets Rocky Balboa and requests that the elder boxer train him.

director — Ryan Coogler

cast — Michael B. Jordan, Sylvester Stallone, Tessa Thompson, Tony Bellew, and Phylicia Rashād

release date — November 25

distributor — Warner Bros.

Hands of Stone

The movie follows the life of Roberto Duran, who made his professional debut in 1968 as a 16-year-old and retired in 2002 at age 50. In June 1980, he defeated Sugar Ray Leonard to capture the WBC welterweight title but shocked the boxing world by returning to his corner in the November rematch, saying ‘no más’ (no more).

director — Jonathan Jakubowicz

cast — Édgar Ramírez, Robert De Niro, Usher, Ellen Barkin, Rubén Blades, John Turturro, and Ana de Armas

release date — October 30

distributor — The Weinstein Company

Southpaw

A boxer fights his way to the top, only to find his life falling apart around him.

director — Antoine Fuqua

cast — Jake Gyllenhaal, Forest Whitaker, and Rachel McAdams

release date — July 24

distributor — The Weinstein Company

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Roberto Duran; one of the greatest fighters to ever enter the ring. The guy who took down his opponents with  bullet-fast kidney punches.

Plus, I love this cast.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Bleed For This and Southpaw 

ReplyCopy URL
    DominicCobb
    Participant
    Topics:

You know, from the premise, Creed sounds terrible. But it also stars Michael B. Jordan and is directed by Ryan Coogler so it might actually be great? Who knows.

ReplyCopy URL
    Nessie
    Topics:

I hate boxing movies… and there are going to be four of them?? Oh, no…

ReplyCopy URL
    Malick
    Topics:

So hard to choose, I always root for Antoine Fuqua, but Ryan Coogler’s project has the potential to be fantastic because of the cast and the quality of his last film.

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Creed. MBJ looks oh so good. 

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

Even despite having a terrible trailer, I’m still most excited for Southpaw. After Gyllenhaal’s fantastic year last year, I’m on board with anything he does. Bleed for This looks fantastic too, so it will be a good year for boxing movies no matter what.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I hate boxing movies… and there are going to be four of them?? Oh, no…

Lol Nessie!!!!! I certainly dont ‘hate’ them, although I was no particular fan of the MTV film, “Ali”. You didnt care for Raging Bull, Somebody Up There Likes Me, Rocky, The Fighter, M$B, Requiem For a Heavyweight, The Champ (1931), The Great White Hope, Body and Soul, The Boxer, Cinderella Man, The Hurricane, Kid Galahad, When We Were Kings, The Legend of Drunken Master, The Karate Kid, and of course, Bloodsport, and so many others.

C’mon Nessie.

On the other hand, I dont like conventional medical films, hero CDC/WHO/FTC/AVRA/FDA scripts, use animals for war movies, and FBI/CIA/DHS/NSA “arentweterrificsmartandbetterthaneveryoneelse” type movies.

I still watch them, however. Wait. I take it back. Dont care for “boxing” films? You’re in tough this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

I didn’t even know that Creed film existed and the premise is crazy as hell. How did I not know Rocky Balboa would be in a film in 2015?

I’m rooting for Southpaw and Hands of Stone. It looks like Edgar Ramirez is going to have another great year. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

I didn’t even know that Creed film existed and the premise is crazy as hell. How did I not know Rocky Balboa would be in a film in 2015?

I’m rooting for Southpaw and Hands of Stone. It looks like Edgar Ramirez is going to have another great year. 

Supposedly the ‘Creed’ footage that screened at CinemaCon went over extremely well and it even started getting some Oscar buzz for Michael B. Jordan.

The ‘Southpaw’ trailer is IMHO too revealing and too cliche, but Gyllenhaal looks fantastic and I’m still really anticipating it.

I can’t wait to see ‘Bleed For This’, it’s my most anticipated of the bunch.

‘Hands of Stone’ I have been anticipating since back when Gael Garcia Bernal and Al Pacino were attached.  

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.