Home Forums Movies 2015 Documentary Oscar contenders.

2015 Documentary Oscar contenders.

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Richard R
    Participant
    Topics:

Which documentaries are leading contenders for Oscar.

Richard R
    Participant
    Topics:

Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief could be the most polarizing film of the year. It certainly will be polarizing within the industry. It paints an unflattering picture of the church and it  will be interesting to see if it can get nominated amid all the controversy.It is from acclaimed documentarian Alex Gibney and is airing on HBO. Unfortunately I don’t have HBO so I’ll have to wait and see if it comes out on Netflix or Amazon. The reviews seem to be really good and airing in HBO gives it a big boost. Docs like this can stir up debate and often achieve things that fiction can’t. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Richard R
    Participant
    Topics:

Kirby Dick has a doc about campus rape from Radius/TWC that will air on CNN and will be a leading contender. He has done great work previously with the doc Outrage.

ReplyCopy URL
    Richard R
    Participant
    Topics:

I forgot to mention the name of the Kirby Dick doc. It is called The Hunting Ground

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

I would rename this to 2015 Documentary Oscar Contenders to get action on this forum 

Going Clear
    The Hunting Ground
    The Wrecking Crew
    Seymour: An Introduction

Those are the big four as of now.  

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Going Clear eligiable for Oscars? Did it play in theaters before HBO? 

ReplyCopy URL
    M H
    Participant
    Topics:

Going Clear is based on the wonderful book by the same name. I wonder if the fact that the filmmaker is working with existing information rather than finding his own story will make a difference to voters in the branch. It kind of seems like it might.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Richard R
    Participant
    Topics:

I believe Going Clear will have a limited release in theaters but I’m not convinced of it’s eligibility.

ReplyCopy URL
    Richard R
    Participant
    Topics:

I renamed the title so it’s not as confusing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Richard R
    Participant
    Topics:

Going Clear was in a handful of theaters March 13 and was on HBO March 29.

ReplyCopy URL
    Richard R
    Participant
    Topics:

If they are familiar with the filmmaker and like his work then the source material may not matter

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s really good. I think if it keeps momentum alive it could get in. 

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

I saw The Hunting Ground at Sundance. I, personally, loved it, but more for how it holds such powerful institutions accountable for their borderline-evil inaction than for its craft elements. I would be surprised to see it still in the conversation of the year’s crème de la crème docs. Lady GaGa could get a song nomination for it, though (I mean, gag, but people seemed to be so impressed that she could hold a note this year lol). 

Going Clear is fascinating, but I wonder how divisive it will be in the Academy ranks. It’s hard to tell how many of them are under the grasp of Scientology or not, but it is striking that The Master didn’t even get a screenplay nomination. Docs from Sundance I might look out for as being more critical stories throughout the year include The Wolfpack (revelatory Grand Prize winner about a large family who had basically been locked in their Lower East Side apartment throughout adolescence by their father and lived their lives vicariously through cinema), Western (visually striking view of rural America which won prizes at both Sundance and SXSW), 3 1/2 Minutes (very relevant in terms of contemporary race relations and violence against black bodies; got a standing ovation when it won a prize at Sundance), The Russian Woodpecker (fucking incredible look at Ukrainian activism in the face of corruption and increasing Russian aggression), Pervert Park (okay that’s less likely but it’s a challenging look at the US sex offender system that might get a Spirit Award mention) , and (T)ERROR (cold for my tastes, but the access into covert US targeting of American Muslims is striking)

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Iris is playing in select theaters now. I haven’t seen it yet but could Albert Maysles earn a farewell nomination with Iris? 

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

I imagine that The Look of Silence, a follow-up to Joshua Oppenheimer’s 2013 film The Act of Killing, could be a big player. Reception so far, based on its festival run last year, is immensely positive. RT score is currently at 93% (with 14 reviews) and Metacritic is at 91 (based on 9 reviews).

Also, while it could be a bit out of the Academy’s wheelhouse, I might as well point out that Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck has earned very positive notices. Right now, it’s sitting at 98% on RT (based on 48 reviews) and 84 on Metacritic (19 reviews). Like Going Clear, it debuted in cinemas before being shown on HBO a few weeks later.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
Reply To: 2015 Documentary Oscar contenders.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.