Home Forums Movies 2015 French Cesar awards thread

2015 French Cesar awards thread

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s early, I know, but for those few of us who love French Cinema… I have only seen a few 2015 releases, and have heard some good things about a few others. Looking towards the Lumieres and the Cesars for French films of 2015 (I have decided to use the English titles instead of the French titles just to make it a bit easier to write):

Obiously, the Cannes winners: Audiard’s DHEEPAN, Brize’s THE MEASURE OF A MAN (Vincent Lindon is likely a frontrunner for Best Actor – he has never won before), and Maiwenn’s MON ROI (Emmanuelle Bercot tied for Best Actress at Cannes and is likely a frontrunner) all have to be considered serious contenders.

I’ve seen a wonderful film called THE EASY WAY OUT and I think Laurent Lafitte (Lead Actor) and especially Agnes Jaoui (Supporting Actress) could get nominations. She’s particularly funny in her role as a go-getter who romances a sad sack brother of the lead character.

I saw a wonderful movie with Leila Bekhti and Rada Ketab – can’t remember the name? It was in black-and-white – I expect Bekhti to get a Best Actress nomination for it.

I saw GEMMA BOVARY, Fabrice Luchini gives another in his sad sack obsessives performances and english actress Gemma Arterton is very good in the title role.

I’m hoping Karin Viard gets a nomination – and maybe also Emmanuelle Devos – for the very funny comedy THE CHEF’S WIFE.

Not sure if THREE HEARTS was released in 2014 or 2015, but Charlotte Gainsbourg was quite good in it (I didn’t much care for Benoit Poelvoorde, but his is the type of character and acting the Cesars often likes) in Jacquot’s movie.

CHIC! was a very funny French comedy starring Fanny Ardant and Eric Elmosnino. Popular comedies don’t fare well (BAD (SERIAL) WEDDINGS and WELCOME TO THE STICKS were both huge hits in France, yet both only received writing nominations) with the Cesars though.

THE CLEARSTREAM AFFAIR has two excellent performances by Gilles Lellouche and Charles Berling – neither has won a Cesar yet.

What was the name of the Emmanuelle Bercot-directed film that opened the Cannes Film Festival?

There are several films with French financing that will be eligible but aren’t in  French: LOUDER THAN BOMBS and THE LOBSTER and MOUNTAINS MAY DEPART (I hated Timbuktu, last year’s winner for Best Film; and I really hated that it wasn’t really French, but Mauritanian. I personally would like the Cesars to only honor true French films).

Some other interestng titles: ENTRE AMIS, with a cast headed by Daniel Auteuil, Gerard Jugnot, Francois Berleand, Zabou Breitman, Melanie Doutey and Isabelle Gelinas.

Last year’s Best Actor winner Pierre Niney in A PERFECT MAN, with a very talented newcomer Ana Girardot.

Anais Demoustier is in ALL ABOUT THEM and CAPRICE

Benoit Jacquot has remade DIARY OF A CHAMBERMAID with Lea Seydoux and Vincent Lindon

Cecile de France and Izia Higelin – two past Cesar winners – are in LA BELLE SAISON

Arnaud Despechin was praised at  Cannes for his newest film MY GOLDEN YEARS, with his regular star Matthieu Amalric.

Tahar Rahim and Adele Exarchopoulis – two Cesar winners – are in THE ANARCHISTS.

There are some animated films: APRIL AND THE TWISTED WORLD and SHAUN THE SHEEP.

Jeremie Elkaim is appearing in several movies: LES BATISSES, THE LITTLE PRICE and MARGUERITE & JULIEN.

THE BRAND NEW TESTAMENT stars Benoit Poelvoorde, Yolande Moreau, Catherine Deneuve and Francois Damiens.

THE ART DEALER has three older actors – all Cesar winners – Francois Berleand, Michel Bouquet and Robert Hirsch.

Matthias Schoenaerts and Diane Kruger are in Alice Winocur’s DISORDER.

One of my favorites – Gregoire Leprince-Ringuet – co-stars in DON’T TELL THE BOY WAS MAD

Isabelle Huppert and Gerard Depardieu co-star in the American-set French film THE VALLEY OF LOVE

TALE OF TALES has French financing.

THE SWEET ESCAPE stars director/actor Bruno Podalydes, Sandrine Kiberlain (2 Cesars), and Agnes Jaoui (4 cesars; 3 for writing, 1 for acting)

The wonderful Jeremie Renier in THE WALKHAM FRONT

Jean-Jacques Annaud is back with WOLF TOTEM, after a long absence (he won twice: for Quest For Fire and The Bear, back in the 1980’s)

THE NIGHT WATCHMAN has Olivier Gourmet, Valerie Bonneton and Marc Zinga

Louis Garrel directs himself in TWO FRIENDS, which co-stars the wonderful Vincent Macaigne and Goldshefeh Farahani

Stanislas Merhar won way back for 1997’s Dry Cleaning and is starring in IN THE SHADOW this year. He had great potential that was never delivered upon.

Cesar winner Clotilde Hesme stars in EVA & LEON

Louise Bourgoin stars in I AM A SOLDIER

Pio Marmai stars in I KISSED A GIRL

MACADAM STORIES stars Isabelle Huppert and Valerie Bruni Tedeschi

and most entrancingly, Pierre Deladonchamps stars in UNE ENFANCE (directed by Philippe Claudel of I’ve Loved You So Long fame)

Teproc
    Participant
    Topics:

The Brand New Testament is Belgian, so that’s out. Wolf Totem is representing China at the Oscars, so I’m assuming it’s out too.

Dheepan and La loi du marché (The Measure of a Man) seem like shoe-in nominees, I’m pretty convinced Marguerite will fare very well, possibly even winning. Catherine Frot will certainly be one of the frontrunners for Best Actress at any rate.

Mustang, if eligible (which, it’d be pretty hilarious if it wasn’t) also seems like an almost certain nomination.

Le belle saison should be a threat too, it was on the shortlist for the Oscars submission. Much Loved, if eligible (which I think it will be), also seems like it has a shot with its subject matter.

Valley of Love might get its stars nominated, but the film was poorly received, so even that might be difficult. 

ReplyCopy URL
    seabel
    Participant
    Topics:

Vincent Lindon and Catherine Frot for the win. I’m still skeptical about Jacques Audiard’s chances.

ReplyCopy URL
    PATRICK DELPECH
    Participant
    Topics:

Yolande moreau for voyage en chine
    Fabrice lucchini for the hermine
    Catherine deneuve  for la tete haute
    Mathieu amalric for belles familles
    Marthe keller for amnesia
    Lea seydoux for journal d’une femme de chambre
    Olivier gourmet for l’odeur de la mandarine
    Gerard depardieu et isablle huppert for the valley of love
    Vincent lindon for la loi du marche
    Catherine frot for  marguerite
    Emmanuelle bercot for mon roi
    laurent laffite for l’art de la fugue
    jean rochefort for floride 

ReplyCopy URL
    Engapantio
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

The Cesars are notoriously hard to predict – but I will say that I am expecting Vincent Lindon (The Measure Of a Man) and Catherine Frot (Marguerite) to win Best Actor and Best Actress.

I am HOPING Mustang does not win – I wasn’t happy with Timbuktu’s win last year. I know others disagree but I don’t see Mustang as a “French” movie. I would much rather see Standing Tall (La Terre Haute) or My Golden Days win Best Picture and/or Director. I prefer Bercot or Desplechin. But the Cesars are unpredictable – to say the least! I don’t think anybody thought Pierre Niney was going to win Best Actor last year (I’ve seen his perf. and it was superb; would have gone with Guillaume Canet for his psycho serial killer cop in Next Time I’ll Aim For The Heart).

I also think Rod Paradot (Standing Tall) and Lou Leroy-Collinet (My Golden Days) will win New Male/New Female Cesars.

I MOST want Benoit Magimel to win for Standing Tall for Best Supporting Actor but must admit I haven’t seen the other perfs, so who knows?

ReplyCopy URL
    Engapantio
    Participant
    Topics:

FreemanGriffin22, and what are your prediction (2-3 best choices) in Screenplay categories? I don’t know whether they are as important there as it is almost always with Oscar. Besides, in case you see all the films nominated in Cinematography category – which DoP impressed you most?

ReplyCopy URL
    Engapantio
    Participant
    Topics:

Besides, it might be interesting  a task to try to predict the winner in the category of Best Foreign Film. What would it be? It may be a toss of a coin between Birdman and Son of Saul, or … isn’t it The Brand New Testament that’s very close to surprising (not all, of course) with a win here

ReplyCopy URL
    Rooney Moore
    Participant
    Topics:

You and your long posts were missed on this side of the forum, Freeman.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.