Home Forums Movies 2015 Oscar for Best Cinematography

2015 Oscar for Best Cinematography

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

In 5th place, Sicario. I don’t get this nomination. it’s as bad as the one for Prisoners a few years ago. (picture me scratching my head). I found it visually dull but I didn’t care for this film and walked out on it 3/4 when i realized I didn’t care what happens next.

In 4th place, Mad Max: Fury Road. What can I say? I hated everything about this over-hyped over-praised crappy movie. I walked out on in the movie theatre after only 40 minutes with a pounding headache  – once it started winning awards and getting Oscar buzz I rewatched at home On Demand, got all the way through it, it was unbearable. I will never understand why others even like this movie, as it gets an F for me in all categories.

In 3rd place, The Revenant. There are some beautiful compositions, mother nature is beautiful, yes, but does the camera work add anything? Does it draw me in? Do I want to be where the film is? NO! Hell NO! I think TR will win this Oscar but I don’t agree with it.

2nd place is Carol. Beautifully photographed, this road movie is a world I do wish to inhabit (if I had a time machine!) . Beautiful burnished images. Just lovely work by Ed Lachman. Superb!

1st place goes to Robert Richardson’s masterful use of 70-mm on The Hateful Eight. The visual look of this film is simply stunning! The images fill the screen. My problems with the movie were in its direction and script. But visulally the film is stunning. Absolutely deserves to win the Oscar!

So, I think Luzbecki will win 3 in a row, but I am hoping for an upset. Robert Richardson for The Hateful Eight!

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

C’mon John Seale!

ReplyCopy URL
    JOHN
    Topics:

This is a three way race, Mad Max Fury Road vs The Revenant vs Sicario. I doubt Luzbecki wins three years in a row. 

ReplyCopy URL
    JOHN
    Topics:

I hope Mad Max Fury Road wins. It is the best achievement in cinematography this year. 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

This is a three way race, Mad Max Fury Road vs The Revenant vs Sicario. I doubt Luzbecki wins three years in a row. 

His night-time shots and panoramic vision ala Skyfall gets a nomination, but that will be all once again.

Those communist voters will likely “spread the wealth” regardless.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Tough race. Possibly the closest for me of all categories.

I’d personally swap Mad Max for Beasts of No Nation, but the other four are so visually gorgeous.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”Toussaint”]

His night-time shots and panoramic vision ala Skyfall gets a nomination, but that will be all once again.

Those communist voters will likely “spread the wealth” regardless.

[/quote]

They gave Iñarritu, The Hack, THREE Oscars last year. So much for spreading the wealth.

ReplyCopy URL
    ADouble
    Participant
    Topics:

Really, it’s Mad Max vs Revenant. As much as poor Roger Deakins deserves that Oscar and as breathtakingly gorgeous as Hateful Eight is, I don’t think those two are even in the conversation at this point. I’m leaning towards Mad Max but that’s mostly my personal bias towards it, would not be shocked at all to see Luzbeki get yet another Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

One of these days Roger…one of these days. 

This is Lubezki’s Oscar to loose yet again. But there’s a story behind John Seale here and that could help him win over a three time consecutive winner.

It would be a nice win too, nice to way to end your career. He came out of retirement after shooting shitty films like The Tourist, Prince of Persia and Poseidon.  Must be very rewarding to go back to retirement with Mad Max and an Oscar. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

If the guilds can rally behind Mad Max, then sure, but until they do, I cannot look past the BAFTA snubs in the top two categories.  The Revenant is winning for now.  My preference is Mad Max because I had not seen that before.  Emmanuel Lubezki is always great, but I was finally tiring of his shtick in The Revenant.

ReplyCopy URL
    Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

This category is locked. Lubezki 3rd in a row. I have never ever seen better cinematography than in Revenatnt. I just dont know how he did it. Just dont. Marvelous

ReplyCopy URL
    Chevi
    Participant
    Topics:

The Revenant vs Mad Max. If Lubezki hadn’t won the last two years i would go with The Revenant, I was impressed by it’s cinematography by only watching the trailer.

ReplyCopy URL
    DominicCobb
    Participant
    Topics:

Is there a world in which Lubezki doesn’t win this? I guess if there’s an upset it’s Seale

I like Chivo as much as the next but the fact that this will be his third in a row just seems like too much. He isn’t really far and away the best DP around, even though three consecutive wins would imply that. I don’t think his win last year was deserved and I don’t know if he deserves the win this year either (as impressive as the natural lighting is).

My fave is probably Richardson’s 70mm work. I’m actually kicking myself for switching him out at the last second for Kaminski. The biggest story behind Hateful Eight was the 70mm, Ultra Panavision and Roadshow presentation so it should have been obvious it would get a nod.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

It was obvious until BAFTA snubbed him while nominating the film for three other awards and it missed a guild nomination for cinematography but got one for sound mixing, unlike Django Unchained and Inglourious Basterds.

ReplyCopy URL
    DominicCobb
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah. The BAFTA snub was why I replaced him and I noticed the Academy almost never snubs Kaminski when he’s up for the BAFTA and ASC.

Still Richardson got a surprise nod for Django, so there was precedence. I was on the fence but I should have taken the hoopla of the 70mm as the thing that gave him the edge (which I think it did).

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Reply To: 2015 Oscar for Best Cinematography

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.