Home Forums Movies 2015 Oscar for Best Costume Design

2015 Oscar for Best Costume Design

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

2 male costume movies vs. 3 female costume movies.

In 5th place, the single worst nomination of 2015, the (ahem) costumes (rags) for The Revenant. Bear skins, ugly clothing, what on earth were they thinking? They nominated this instead of Crimson Peak, Trumbo, Brooklyn, The Hateful Eight, Star Wars: The Force Awakens? WTF?

In 4th place, the (ahem) costumes for Mad Max: Fury Road. Sorry, I know y’all love this movie but it’s costumes? Were the nominators on crack? Crazy!

In 3rd place, the beautiful fifties costumes for Carol. Subtle designs, appropriate for the characters. Charming and beautiful (:

In 2nd place, The Danish Girl, It’s 1920’s European flair was a joy to behold! Really superb costumes.

In 1st place, Sandy Powell’s sumptuous beautiful costumes for Cinderella. This is the movie’s only nomination (it would have been a better nominee than 2 of them in Production Design) but it’s well deserved. Early in the year, we all knew this was the first lock for a nomination and I believe this will be the winner!

JOHN
    Topics:

Mad Max Fury Road has the most unique costume design, so I don’t know what you’re talking about. 

ReplyCopy URL
    awardsdontmatter
    Participant
    Topics:

Ok dude. we get it. you hated The Revenant, and Mad Max. you hated everything about those movies, from the screenplay to all the technical aspects. I hated Brooklyn and Ronan’s performance, even though I usually like period chick flicks like this, but I am not going to shit on its nominations just because it turned out to be not my cup of a Hot Toddy. believe it or not, both The Revenant and Mad Max had actors dressed in clothing, clothing that was very particular to the setting of their respective movies, and took real talent, skill and effort of the costume designer and team to execute convincingly. I found the costumes in both movies beautiful, unique, impressive and totally worthy of a nomination at least. and fuck yea, for the academy not just nominating pretty Elizabethean dresses again, and recognizing costume design achievements for whole variety of different eras, and period settings, and even sci-fi!

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

The Danish Girl is going to win this. They almost never resist costuming like this. They passed on Les Miserable but Paco wins.

But….go Mad Max!

ReplyCopy URL
    agro
    Topics:

I support Mad Max! 

ReplyCopy URL
    Cheshire
    Participant
    Topics:

If the flamethrower guitar counts as costume design then Mad Max: Fury Road gets my vote 1000%. If not, then I would give it to Cinderella.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Would love for MM to win this, but it’s probably Carol’s consolation prize.

ReplyCopy URL
    ADouble
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t agree with you about Mad Max at all, but the Revenant being here instead of Hateful Eight or Crimson Peak is indeed bizarre. I think they’ll go with one of the Sandy Powell duo, probably Cinderella since the costumes there are much flashier.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

My God, still with The Revenant and Mad Max hate. Is this why you opened the threads? To get more chances at trashing these films? 

This is between Cinderella and The Danish Girl, since TDG didn’t make any sort of splash, I guess Cinderella has a shot and that’s my prediction right now. But I wouldn’t mind The Danish Girl winning. 

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

I think this might be the only win for Carol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Powell is winning and it’s for Cinderella, I called this back when the movie opened and I’m not changing now. Sandy will join Canonero as the most award living costume designers, Miss Atwood will have to fight harder to join the four time winner club.

ReplyCopy URL
    Asgaroth
    Participant
    Topics:

This award always goes to period or fantasy movies. Mad Max is more action/sci-fi rather than fantasy. Carol, set in the 50’s and everything, still looks too contemporary. The Revenant’s costumes will appear somewhat…boring?, to the eyes of the average voter; history has told us they like colorful, flashy and sumptuous ones. Then that leaves us with Cinderella vs The Danish Girl. I’m going with Cinderella, but wouldn’t be surprised if TDG takes it. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Rinolo Twenty-two
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m rooting for Mad Max, but Cinderella’s costumes were something else, I remember Cinderella’s blue dress, when they were dancing, and that dress was so alive, it seemed like the dress was wearing Cinderella and not vice versa. LOL Such stunning design. I don’t mind Cinderella taking this.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Her step-sisters’ outfits were something else. Actually, even the toads and reptiles were very well dressed.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Cinderella has the more flasher costumes but it could be a Mirror Mirror vs Anna Karenina with Anna being Carol. But Danish Girl could very well win too. I liked Revenant’s costumes but Mad Max didn’t need to get in here over Crimson Peak 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
Reply To: 2015 Oscar for Best Costume Design

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.