Home Forums Movies 2015 Oscar for Best Film Editing

2015 Oscar for Best Film Editing

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

This is the hardest category to predict. It go to any of the 4 BP nominated films. Three jazzier editing jobs vs. 2 more subtle editing jobs.

In 5th place, Mad Max: Fury Road. I know: it could actually win in this category, which I think would mean that TBS or S won’t win BP ): So I sure hope not! I really hated  the editing rhythms of this movie. Just hated it. F.

In 4th place, The Revenant. The subtle editing was fine, scenes flowed o.k., but I just didn’t care for the movie as a whole. I found myself wanting the movie to end which is never a good sign. It’s not bad editing, it’s just not great editing.

In 3rd place, Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Exciting editing, jazzy cuts, enjoyable and entertaining – but not Oscar-worthy.

In 2nd place, the subtle editing that contributes to the natural flow of the superb Spotlight.  Spotlight vs. The Big Short reminds me of last year’s Boyhood vs. Whiplash – flashier editing tends to win.

in 1st place, The Big Short. Flashy, energetic editing that enhances the film’s meanings and makes the movie more enjoyable and entertaining. I think if TBS wins here it will win BP, which is what I want to see happening. I am predicting The Big Short to win.

JOHN
    Topics:

Margaret Sixel is Winning this. Mad Max Fury Road was a masterpiece. she cut through 480 hours of film into 2 hours, that alone is award winning. 

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

btw, Creed deserved to win for Editing – what were they thinking? Did they even see Creed? Geesh!

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I doubt any film is going to upset Mad Max in Editing. 

But if any does, it’ll be Spotlight. Yes I know, doesnt seem likely. But there it is.

ReplyCopy URL
    ADouble
    Participant
    Topics:

Part of me thinks Spotlight, just because of the old Best Picture = Best Editing rule, but that thankfully doesn’t seem to be the case quite as often anymore, so hopefully Mad Max can pull it off. Big Short winning wouldn’t bother me either.

ReplyCopy URL
    agro
    Topics:

Mad Max for sure! then Spotlight, then Star Wars, then TBS and Rev

ReplyCopy URL
    DamianWayne
    Participant
    Topics:

Fury Road is EASILY winning this. EASILY.

If anything upsets it’ll be The Revenant or Star Wars. Spotlight may have gotten the nom here, but without the ACE it’ll be difficult to win. I’ll have to see how many films won here without it. 

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

Mad Max will win this and it would be extremely deserved. The Big Short has a shot too. 

The others not to so much.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Even if The Big Short wins picture, I find it hard to believe that it wins here over Mad Max.  Voters really seem to be looking at the category in recent years and actually putting some thought into which nominee had the most editing.

ReplyCopy URL
    DamianWayne
    Participant
    Topics:

Spotlight may have gotten the nom here, but without the ACE it’ll be difficult to win. I’ll have to see how many films won here without it. 

Just checked and it’s only Z and West Side Story. Z probably wasn’t even eligible being a foreign language film.

Bye Spotlight. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

This is between Mad Max and The Revenant….Nothing else is in the running and Spotlight and Star Wars are fighting for the fith place.

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”TWJoeMarino”]Spotlight may have gotten the nom here, but without the ACE it’ll be difficult to win. I’ll have to see how many films won here without it. 

Just checked and it’s only Z and West Side Story. Z probably wasn’t even eligible being a foreign language film.

Bye Spotlight. 

[/quote]

Yes, I made that check and it’s only Z and West Side Story, but it’s not a done deal.
    It’s like saying: Sorry, Birdman, no editing nomination. Bye bye in picture!
    Sorry, Marcia Gay Harden! You have no SAG nomination. Bye bye!
    Sorry, Driving Miss Daisy! Last time a film won without a directing nomination, your leading lady was in her 20’s.
    Sorry, Shakespeare In Love! No film with both the PGA, the DGA and the Eddie has ever lost.
    Sorry, The Departed! The last time a film with only 5 nods won was 30 years ago.
    Sorry, Denzel! Nobody ever won Globe, SAG and BAFTA and lost.
    Sorry, Crash! No film without a Globe nod has won in three decades. And before that… has there ever been one?

You get my point.
    The race is crazy and the question is whether voters (many voters) are likely to vote for Mad Max: Fury Road in so many categories. Maybe they’ll spread the wealth and Spotlight is certainly a film with a great work by its editor. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”TWJoeMarino”]Spotlight may have gotten the nom here, but without the ACE it’ll be difficult to win. I’ll have to see how many films won here without it. 

Bye Spotlight. 

[/quote]

Yes, I made that check and it’s only Z and West Side Story, but it’s not a done deal.
    It’s like saying: Sorry, Birdman, no editing nomination. Bye bye in picture!
    Sorry, Marcia Gay Harden! You have no SAG nomination. Bye bye!
    Sorry, Driving Miss Daisy! Last time a film won without a directing nomination, your leading lady was in her 20’s.
    Sorry, Shakespeare In Love! No film with both the PGA, the DGA and the Eddie has ever lost.
    Sorry, The Departed! The last time a film with only 5 nods won was 30 years ago.
    Sorry, Denzel! Nobody ever won Globe, SAG and BAFTA and lost.
    Sorry, Crash! No film without a Globe nod has won in three decades. And before that… has there ever been one?

You get my point.
    The race is crazy and the question is whether voters (many voters) are likely to vote for Mad Max: Fury Road in so many categories. Maybe they’ll spread the wealth and Spotlight is certainly a film with a great work by its editor. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

This is close one between Big Short and Mad Max

ReplyCopy URL
    DominicCobb
    Participant
    Topics:

It’ll definitely go to Mad Max and it’ll definitely be deserved. 

Good set of nominees. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Reply To: 2015 Oscar for Best Film Editing

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.