Home Forums Movies 2015 Oscar for Best Foreign Lnaguage Film

2015 Oscar for Best Foreign Lnaguage Film

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I have only seen two of the movies nominated, Mustang and Theeb. Still haven’t seen the frontrunner, Son Of Saul. I predicted all five of the nominees in this category correctly, so may “sight unseen” is the way to do predictions after all!

While Son Of Saul has alot going for it and probably will win, the case for Mustang is that it is directed by a woman and is about young women. This year almost all fo the nominated films are about men, by men, for men. Very few female-centered films are nominated. (Brooklyn is the only true female lead movie in BP and that film has the least number of nominations in the category, with only 3).

Colombia, Turkey (France submitted it, but the film is really Turkish), Hungary, Jordan and Denmark. Quite remarkable!

Is Son Of Saul ever going to be released??? I’ve been waiting since last May! (it was playing while I was in L.A. but I went to other movies that were more likely to get major Oscar nominations instead, thinking SofS would be released here before the nominations came out)

Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Son of Saul is a great film and its nominations in the secondary categories at both DGA and ASC show that is has enough broad support to go the distance.  It is also Sony Pictures Classic’s only horse in the race this year, so they will push it hard because what else are they going to do?

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I cant remember the last time there was an ‘upset’ in this category. It’s SofS’s to lose.

ReplyCopy URL
    Rooney Moore
    Participant
    Topics:

Son of Saul is not a bad movie, but for once, I want to see a film that isn’t related to politics, wars or famine to win. Which means I can only root for Embrace of the Serpent and Mustang this year. But even they are not completely innocent in that aspect. Just because the category is called Foreign Language, the movies in contention don’t have to represent all the problematic things around the world. Why can’t a little cute movie about normal people’s lives…. but what am I saying, this is Oscars we’re talking about.
    Even if all the male-dominated Academy members watch the films before voting like they are supposed to; they can’t relate it to story of five young girls the way they can relate it to SoS. (Yayy, sexism.)

Son of Saul is a great film and its nominations in the secondary categories at both DGA and ASC show that is has enough broad support to go the distance.  It is also Sony Pictures Classic’s only horse in the race this year, so they will push it hard because what else are they going to do?

Well, that logic didn’t work out on the nomination round.
    DGA also nominated A Wolf at the Door and ASC’s nominees have determined by blue ribbon panels where popularity had little to no effect.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Have not seen Mustang, but Son of Saul is far superior to Embrace of the Serpent, which is about how the white man corrupted Native America, so is not really a “little cute movie about normal people’s lives” either.

ReplyCopy URL
    seabel
    Participant
    Topics:

Son of Saul is not a bad movie, but for once, I want to see a film that isn’t related to politics, wars or famine to win.

You’re wrong. Every movie is related to politics.

ReplyCopy URL
    Rooney Moore
    Participant
    Topics:

Have not seen Mustang, but Son of Saul is far superior to Embrace of the Serpent, which is about how the white man corrupted Native America, so is not really a “little cute movie about normal people’s lives” either.

Yeah, I know, that’s why I said none of them are innocent in that aspect but, at least, Embrace’s subject matter wasn’t as used and old as Saul’s or A War’s. To me, at least.
    You should see Mustang, although it really doesn’t look like your cup of tea. It is the most different movie in this group and probably easiest one to experience.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

as a Turkish I really hope Mustang wins because a majority of Turkish people couldnt handle it and I want to see them mad af

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

Having seen all 5, my personal rankings are:

MUSTANG
    SON OF SAUL
    EMBRACE OF THE SERPENT
    THEEB
    A WAR

I really don’t have any issue with the first four–all very good films–being nominated, but I can think of a number of films submitted for consideration (THE SECOND MOTHER, IXCANUL, GOODBYE MOMMY, RAMS, THE CLUB) that were significantly better than the Danish submission–not a bad film, just nowhere as good as quite a few others.

ReplyCopy URL
    CanadianFan
    Participant
    Topics:

I have major reservations about ‘Son of Saul’, and I didn’t really care for ‘Theeb’, so my vote is wide open here. 

Excited to watch the other three to see if they crack my top five FL films. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I wonder, if Mustang was Turkey’s submission would it still get nominated?

ReplyCopy URL
    benutty
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Mustang deals with similar ideas of captivity & escape from captivity, limited world views vs. expanded world views that Room does and is 9871450984731098314x better at it.

ReplyCopy URL
    CanadianFan
    Participant
    Topics:

Finally found a contender I can support in this category (‘Mustang’). Just have to see ‘Embrace of the Serpent’ now.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: 2015 Oscar for Best Foreign Lnaguage Film

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.