2015 Oscar for Best Original Screenplay

Home // Forums // Movies // 2015 Oscar for Best Original Screenplay

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I haven’t seen Ex-Machina ): It’s the only major 8 nomination I have yet to see. So I don’t know it’s quality or where it fits in the category.

in 4th place, Straight Outta Compton. O.K., this movie just wasn’t my cup of tea. I didn’t care for the characters, or their music, so it didn’t add up to anything for me. The writers branch was the only one to give a nomination to this movie.

In 3rd place, Bridge Of Spies. A respectable script but not an Oscar-winner dazzler imo. Competent and excellent but not brilliant.

In 2nd place, Inside Out. Witty, fun, interesting ideas (if maybe a bit simplistic). Wonderful!

In 1st place, Spotlight. The film is a diectorial and writers achievement more than anything else. The film builds well. There is so much beautiful writing for all of the characters. We undestand what the reporters did and how they did it. There were great human scenes between so many of the characters. I deeply cared about everyone (except for Cardinal Law, who I met in real life, and he gave me the creeps!) Superb script. I think Spotlight is a lock for the win in this category. If it wins BP and Director, it will win 3 Oscars, which is what i am expecting to happen. (If Spotlight wins SAG Ensemble, I think it’s a lock for BP. But if The Big Short or Trumbo wins, who knows? It’s up in the air again).

Wombat988
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think praising Spotlight because “we undestand what the reporters did and how they did it” is much of a commendation. Surely that’s the minimum we should expect from a film about journalists?

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Spotlight’s to lose because it really has no competition. Would love for AMPAS to start considering the animations they nominate here for actual wins.

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

I believe Thomas McCarthy is overdue for an Oscar. After moving, lovely scripts for The Station Agent, The Visitor, Win Win, Up and Spotlight, McCarthy deserves the award.

ReplyCopy URL
    ADouble
    Participant
    Topics:

Inside Out deserves it, but Spotlight will get it.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

One of the easiest locks of the night. This might end up being Spotlight’s only Oscar, which kind of makes it even more of a lock for such an apparent favorite. 

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

Inside Out deserves this award by 10 miles. So creative and fun.

ReplyCopy URL
    Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah Inside Out should win this but probably it won. Bet on Spotlight

ReplyCopy URL
    Chevi
    Participant
    Topics:

Clearly Spotlight is the frontrunner here.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Funny how on paper this category seemed so locked up by Joy and The Hateful Eight. If someone had suggested several months ago that Ex Machina and Straight Outta Compton would be nominated over Oscar perennials Russell and Tarantino, it’s fair to say that eyebrows would have been raised. In the end I correctly predicted the whole category. I had a hunch the writers’ branch might have a problem with a lot of the over-expository dialogue in The Hateful Eight.

Spotlight will obviously win, Bridge of Spies is a distant runner-up. I actually suspect Inside Out will come last (not that we’ll ever know) for three reasons: its PGA snub in favour of EM and SOC, its lack of tech noms which most other Pixar films with writing noms received, and a general snooty bias against animation in top categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    DominicCobb
    Participant
    Topics:

If Hateful Eight had been in over Straight Outta Compton, this might have been my favorite category (I like Compton well enough, but the screenplay was not its strongest element).

Is there a world in which Spotlight doesn’t take this? 

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Funny how on paper this category seemed so locked up by Joy and The Hateful Eight. If someone had suggested several months ago that Ex Machina and Straight Outta Compton would be nominated over Oscar perennials Russell and Tarantino, it’s fair to say that eyebrows would have been raised.

And they snubbed Aaron Sorkin and Charlie Kaufman on the adapted side.  Mayhem!

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Give it to something ORIGINAL! So sick of bio pics being picked in this category over movies that created original characters with original stories with original dialogue. Team Inside Out all the way. Spotlight is really well written but come on, that happened in real life! The story was already laid out for them 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: 2015 Oscar for Best Original Screenplay

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.