2015 Oscar for Best Production Design

Home // Forums // Movies // 2015 Oscar for Best Production Design

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

The nominees are: Bridge Of Spies, The Danish Girl, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Martian and The Revenant

I would place The Revenant in 5th place. Mother Nature is the real production designer for the movie. The settings for the fort are functional and fine but not dazzling or great designs that are worthy of Oscar. There are no other sets or production design in this movie. This is one of two really bizarre overkill nominations for TR (the other is for Costume Design). (btw, if this were to somehow win they should invite Dena Dietrich up to the podium – she played Mother Nature in t.v. ads years ago – “you can’t fool Mother Nature!”)

I know y’all think the sets from Mad Max: Fury Road are Oscar-worthy, but seriously? What’s so great about this nihilistic futuristic world that makes anybody think so? Dull sets, overdesigned, boring. If it wins, it will be a travesty. 4th place.

3rd place goes to the nice functional fifties designs for Bridge Of Spies. It’s not really Oscar-worthy but it’s all excellent nevertheless. But there is nothing new I haven’t seen in other movies here.

2nd place goes to something that is new for me: the 1920’s European designs for The Danish Girl. Sumptuous sets that are visually interesting and bring us into the story. Quite good!

1st place, and I think the Oscar winner, will be The Martian. Not only Mars, but also the various space crafts, the various offices and press conferences, all the sets and production aspects of The Martian are top-notch. I’m not someone who loves Sci-Fi, but I loved this movie, and a large part of that was the visual look of the movie and it’s incredible sets and production values.

I am predicting The Martin will and should win (:

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Freeman, you are “besmirching” Jack Fisk! The guy’s worked in Canada many times before……

I’ll throw a dart and say The Danish Girl. They love films like this, and Eve could be fourth-time lucky.

But you’re right in that The Martian can win here, and for more reasons than the production. That team has been nominated five times between them.

I’m rooting for Mad Max. They’re newbies to the awards.

ReplyCopy URL
    JOHN
    Topics:

The best achievement in production design is Mad Max Fury Road. 

ReplyCopy URL
    awardsdontmatter
    Participant
    Topics:

The nominees are: Bridge Of Spies, The Danish Girl, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Martian and The Revenant

I would place The Revenant in 5th place. Mother Nature is the real production designer for the movie. The settings for the fort are functional and fine but not dazzling or great designs that are worthy of Oscar. There are no other sets or production design in this movie. This is one of two really bizarre overkill nominations for TR (the other is for Costume Design). (btw, if this were to somehow win they should invite Dena Dietrich up to the podium – she played Mother Nature in t.v. ads years ago – “you can’t fool Mother Nature!”)
    (:

wait, are you telling me the set designer for The Revenant did not design and strategically place all of those trees himself? is that what you’re telling us? Frown

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

The Martian vs The Danish Girl. Since they went hard for these “different” (for them) films this year, I’ll give The Martian its only win of the night over the more traditional winner (still deserving) The Danish Girl. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Lincoln had broad enough support that it beat BAFTA winner Les Misérables and ADG winner Anna Karenina, so I am going with Bridge of Spies over The Danish Girl unless BAFTA and ADG agree on the latter.  You have learned nothing if you are predicting The Martian after Gravity and Interstellar lost.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d like to see Bridge of Spies win something. I really enjoyed that film. Glad it showed up with Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    JOHN
    Topics:

Mad Max Fury Road is the favorite to win among experts. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

Mad Max will win. But Productions design in Revenant was also beautiful

ReplyCopy URL
    jfruedam
    Topics:

Now that I think about it….production design for The Revenant? What the fuck were they thinking? 

For what? Filming a bunch of natural landscapes? The stupid bone pyramid?. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Asgaroth
    Participant
    Topics:

Likelihood ranking:

1. Mad Max: Fury Road
    2. Bridge of Spies
    3. The Danish Girl
    4. The Revenant
    5. The Martian

The Revenant has absolutely nothing to do here. I think the more stylish and colorful Cinderella should have been considered before.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Lincoln had broad enough support that it beat BAFTA winner Les Misérables and ADG winner Anna Karenina, so I am going with Bridge of Spies over The Danish Girl unless BAFTA and ADG agree on the latter.  You have learned nothing if you are predicting The Martian after Gravity and Interstellar lost.

Interstellar was up against a very strong frontrunner with The Grand Budapest Hotel, and Gravity’s sets were smaller and more cramped than the more spacious ones for The Martian. If anything I’d compare Gravity to Mad Max as they are both set in wide open, isolated spaces which might confuse less savvy voters in this category. I’m just not convinced people across the Academy, however much they liked Mad Max, will all be inspecting the amount of detail and creativity that went into those vehicles. Really I have no idea what’s going to win this category at the moment, but I wouldn’t dismiss The Martian in this lineup. Bridge of Spies could win but it’s nowhere near as lavish as Lincoln.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Also I’m gonna call bullshit on the dissing of The Revenant in this category. It’s not just outdoor location work. Jack Fisk is one of the great minimalist production designers (I’m still pissed that he lost for There Will Be Blood) and the creation of the Pawnee village, the Indian houses of mud, the mountain of buffalo skulls, the ruined church inspired by Tarkovsky’s Andrei Rublev with the beautiful fresco paintings – all of these were textured and inspired work which made an indelible impression. People may find me perverse but I’d vote for The Revenant in this category and not Cinematography – Chivo, I love you, but you’ve won enough. This and Ex Machina are my favourite achievements in production design this year, amongst other great work. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Rinolo Twenty-two
    Participant
    Topics:

Mad Max: Fury Road should win this by a mile, those extravagant and unique car designs, Citadel and “Green Place” designs scream Oscar!!!
    Please Academy, stop awarding the same period design over and over again. Go MAD MAX!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Chevi
    Participant
    Topics:

Mad Max shoud win. But the Academy usually rewards period movies, so Bridge of Spies is a possibility.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Reply To: 2015 Oscar for Best Production Design

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.