Home Forums Movies 2015 Oscar for Best Visual Effects

2015 Oscar for Best Visual Effects

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I am going to go out on a limb and predict that The Martian will win this category. I re-watched it last night and was amazed by the visual effects of Mars, and esp. the climactic sequence in which they reunite with him out in space. Thrilling, mesmerizing, brilliant, truly deserving of the Oscar.

I know: most of you seem to think Mad Max: Fury Road is going to win this Oscar. IDK. We will have to wait and see. But I don’t think it’s inevitable at all.

The Revenant’s bear attack and arrow attacks, etc. are well done, I suppose, but they don’t really add up “Best Visual Effects” imo.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens has great effects too but I think SW: TFA is going to go home empty handed next month.

I haven’t seen Ex-Machina, so I don’t know it’s qualities or worthiness. It’s the only film I haven’t seen in the fiction film categories outside of Best Song.

So, prediction: The Martian. (I know you are all going to tell me that MM: FR is going to win. We will know at the end of February).

Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

The Force Awaken probably wins VES on technical merit, so BAFTA will be the test for Mad Max.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

The film with the most nominations has pretty consistently won this award over the last 20 years, with very few exceptions, so based on that Mad Max should be a dead cert. (OK technically The Revenant has the most but it’s something of an anomaly in this category, I really don’t see it winning here.) But this is also the first time we’ve had a genuinely acclaimed Star Wars film in the mix since the 80s. I wonder if people will automatically vote for it just because it’s Star Wars. 

I doubt The Martian has much of a shot, but I could be wrong. It has neither the double-digit nominations of Mad Max nor the flashiness of the effects of Star Wars, so it has a lot going against it in this race.

I’d vote for Ex Machina, but I guess I’m just weird that way. Apparently it cost approximately 2% of the total budget sum of the five nominees. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

Its the only category Star Wars can win so if they want to give SW 1 oscar this is the place. Its tossup between SW and Max

ReplyCopy URL
    JOHN
    Topics:

TFA vs Mad Max

ReplyCopy URL
    DominicCobb
    Participant
    Topics:

I mentioned it before but this is the first time there have been 3 BP noms in this category. Something that’s important to note is that only once has this award not gone to a BP nominee when one was in the running, and that was 45 years ago. This is the strongest case for Mad Max (surely the BP nominee here with the best effects).

But there’s a Star Wars movie there. Yes, none of the three prequels won this, but they sucked and everyone knew that. This Star Wars film has done pretty well for itself critically and financially. I have to think the fact that is the biggest movie ever in America. Going back to the original Star Wars, every movie that has supplanted it as the highest grossing film in North America has won this award. It’s the audience favorite and the effects are huge. If the want to give the film an award, it’s this one. I bet it wins.

ReplyCopy URL
    Chevi
    Participant
    Topics:

MM vs SW. I’ll go with MM for now because of the BP nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Mad Max vs Star Wars, but I believe SW can pull this off.

ReplyCopy URL
    kvothe_snow
    Participant
    Topics:

Sadly, it’s SW vs Mad Max. I think they will give this to SW as its consolation…which is a shame because MMFR was highly praised for its outstanding stunt and practical effects.

ReplyCopy URL
    jfruedam
    Topics:

Best visual effects does not equal best CGI; with that in my mind, my pick would be Mad Max, no discussion.

It would be nice to see practical effects being reconized. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Rinolo Twenty-two
    Participant
    Topics:

Mad Max: Fury Road should and will win this. Academy loves practical effects so there you have.

ReplyCopy URL
    DominicCobb
    Participant
    Topics:

For what it’s worth there’s a fair share of practical effects in Star Wars as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

I think they’ll throw Star Wars a bone somewhere and I think this might be the place. The creation of Lupita and Andy’s characters plus the space designs out weigh Mad Max that just had to delete some wires and add onto some more explosions. Practical effects deserve production design awards not visual effects awards. A shame The Walk was snubbed. Would have knocked out The Martian in a heartbeat for that 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.