2015 Oscars for Sound Editing and Sound Mixing

Home // Forums // Movies // 2015 Oscars for Sound Editing and Sound Mixing

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I know: most of you favor Mad Max: Fury Road. That movie gave me a splitting headache and I didn’t enjoy it at all. We are all entitled to our opinions, and not everyone loves MM: FR. Most of my friends don’t like any of the Mad Max movies; it’s just an opinion and opinions are never wrong.

I have one major criticism of the sound design for The Revenant; for those of you who saw the movie this is how I felt about this one issue (the sound was technically fine for the most part and this is my only issue with the movie). I couldn’t understand the dialogue well at all in the early outdoor scenes. The accents were very thick and I often felt that they should have had subtitles not just for the indians but for the whites as well. The editing of nature was done well by The Revenant but not imo Oscar-worthy phenomenal give it an Oscar well.

Creed had phenomenal sound design. Surprised that Straight Outta Compton and Love & Mercy weren’t among the nominees. The Big Short did a great job with its sound elements. The Hateful Eight would have been a worthy nominee here too.

O.K., Best Sound Editing nominees are: Mad Max: Fury Road, The Martian, The Revenant, Sicario, and Star Wars: The Force Awakens

5th place: Mad Max: Fury Road. Gave me a splitting headache. Didn’t care for this movie. It’s just an opinion, get over it.

4th place: Sicario. Again, I just didn’t find anything special about the sound design of this movie.

3rd place: The Revenant. See above. My only issue was unintelligible dialogue in the outdoor scenes early on. The sound was much better in the indoor scenes later on. There wasn’t much dialogue so the sound design was how to filter out or in mother nature, and they did a fine job technically with it. But I don’t think it’s Oscar-worthy.

2nd place: Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The sound design was one of the better aspects of the movie.

1st place: The Martian. The editing during the exciting sequence when they get him off of Mars was totally deserving of Sound oscars. This is my pick. I’m not as sold on the inevitability of MM:FR winning the sound prizes and TM is the one that can win instead. It’s def. between the two.

I pretty much have the same placements for the same reasons for Sound Mixing. Bridge Of Spies is nominated there instead of Sicario. I preferred the sound elements of BofS by a wide margin. Sound Mixing is also a two-way race imo between MM:FR and TM. I would vote for the latter and it’s too close to call for me.

Divorce youselves from your obvious fanboy crushes on Mad Max and ask yourself if academy voters are going to see it the same way you do? That’s why I think The Martian has a fighting chance. Academy members are older and they aren’t so in love with MM: FR. (nominations is different than actual awards – Benjamin Button, The Turning Point, American Hustle, The Color Purple, just to name a few that they loved enough to give double digit nominations but only BB won any actual Oscars)

These two categories along with Makeup & Hairstyling are the ones where I am predicting MM: FR to win, but I think The Martian can upset in these two categories, and The Revenant could upset in MU/H. I think these races are closer than Gold Derbyites believe them to be.

jfruedam
    Topics:

I hope between Mad Max and The Revenant swap all the technical awards just to imagine Freeman reaction.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Mad Max will win these easily.  Next in line is The Force AwakensThe Martian should not be here and the guild wisely went with The Hateful Eight instead.

ReplyCopy URL
    Asgaroth
    Participant
    Topics:

Both of these awards are clearly between Mad Max and Star Wars. I also think The Martian had nothing to do here, its sound design and effects weren’t at all something gravitational for the movie.

By the way, I really think it’s time to merge these awards in just one: Best Sound. Every single year both categories include the same movies, with only one exception. It has become redundant.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Based on merit The Revenant really should win Sound Editing, as it has the most vivid aural design. But these awards tend to split only if a clear frontrunner for one award is not nominated for the other, such as Whiplash and Les Miserables winning Sound Mixing but not being nominated for Sound Editing. Therefore I’m guessing that Mad Max will win both by default, essentially for being the loudest, most actiony and most obvious choice.

In my own totally non-professional opinion, I’d vote The Revenant in Sound Editing and Mad Max in Sound Mixing. 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

It has enough support to get it into the race, so if they’re going to thank Star Wars, this is the place.

But, it’s no sure thing. Max is car-chasing them down.

ReplyCopy URL
    DominicCobb
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah this is a fight between Mad Max and Star Wars and I think it’ll be Mad Max. Unless there’s a Revenant sweep (but I don’t think there will be).

ReplyCopy URL
    ADouble
    Participant
    Topics:

I expect it’ll be Mad Max in both unless they REALLY love The Revenant (like, BP-winning level love).

ReplyCopy URL
    JOHN
    Topics:

Mad Max all the wayy

ReplyCopy URL
    Paul Rankin
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m predicting Star Wars to win 3 Oscars: For both sound prizes along with Visual Effects.Here’s a rundown of the Oscar record for every film that’s held the all-time box office record going back to The Sound Of Music:

1. The Sound Of Music: 5 Oscar wins- Including Best Picture
    2. Jaws: 3 Oscars
    3. Star Wars: A New Hope: 6 Oscars- Plus 1 Special Achievement Award
    4. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial: 4 Oscars
    5. Jurassic Park; 3 Oscars
    6. Titanic: 11 Oscars- Including Best Picture
    7. Avatar: 3 Oscars 

As you can see all of the above films won at least 3. This bodes well for The Force Awakens. Granted Mad Max, The Revenant and The Martian may have an advantage in Best Visual Effects seeing as how they’re all Best Picture nominees but I’m sticking with The Force Awakens there as well. I suppose they could also give it 3 with a combiantion of Film Editing and/or Original Score as well but I think it’s best chances are in the sound categories and visual effects

Hope everyone is doing well. 

First Place- 2015 DGA Awards
    First Place- 2015 Razzie Award Nominations
    First Place- 2015 Academy Of Country Music Awards

ReplyCopy URL
    Asgaroth
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m predicting Star Wars to win 3 Oscars: For both sound prizes along with Visual Effects.Here’s a rundown of the Oscar record for every film that’s held the all-time box office record going back to The Sound Of Music:

As you can see all of the above films won at least 3. This bodes well for The Force Awakens. Granted Mad Max, The Revenant and The Martian may have an advantage in Best Visual Effects seeing as how they’re all Best Picture nominees but I’m sticking with The Force Awakens there as well. I suppose they could also give it 3 with a combiantion of Film Editing and/or Original Score as well but I think it’s best chances are in the sound categories and visual effects

Hope everyone is doing well. 

Yes, but this is the first time the new movie to hold the box office record is part of the same movie-franchise. That in fact, may work against TFA, since many members would feel that they have already rewarded the franchise in those fields with the original one.

ReplyCopy URL
    DominicCobb
    Participant
    Topics:

You could go back even further. Gone With the Wind held the record before Sound of Music, and it won 8 Oscars. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: 2015 Oscars for Sound Editing and Sound Mixing

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.