Home Forums Movies 2016/2017 Oscar Contenders

2016/2017 Oscar Contenders

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

Quite similar to the thread I created in June of last year (which turned out to be helpful, reliable and fun since we discussed a lot of names that are now in contention). We’re already discussing this season’s contenders but what about next year? What are the up and coming projects next year that might strike the industry’s attention and score big in the 2016/2017 awards season?

Discuss!

Cheshire
    Participant
    Topics:

In 2016 (I’m only naming stuff that’s conformed for 2016):
    Top Contenders maybe:
    Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk (Ang Lee)
    Passengers (Morten Tyldum)
    The Founder (John Lee Hancock)
    La La Land (Damien Chazelle)
    Deepwater Horizon (J.C. Chandor) 
    Demolition (Jean-Marc Vallee) *If it does well in Toronto (my homecity), I can see this being moved to 2015*
    The Accountant (Gavin O’ Connor)
    The Greatest Showman on Earth (A musical with Hugh Jackman that has a Christmas release date)
    Hail, Caesar! (Coen Brothers) *Febuary is questionable but not impossible*
    A Monster Calls (J.A. Bayona)

Animated Films (which are almost never taken seriously as top contenders and that’s a shame) :
    Finding Dory (Disney/Pixar Animation Studio)
    Moana (Walt Disney Animation Studio)
    Zootopia (Walt Disney Animation Studio)
    Kung Fu Panda 3 (Dreamorks Animation)
    The Secret Life of Pets (Illumination Entertainment)
    Kubo and the Two Strings (Laika) 

Craft & Tech Awards contenders (they deserve love to):
    Alice Through the Looking Glass (Disney)
    Warcraft (Universal)
    The Jungle Book (Disney)

The Huntsman (Universal)
    Suicide Squad (Warner Bros./DC)
    Fantasic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Warner Bros.)
    Rogue One (Disney/Lucasfilms)
    X-Men: Apocalypse (Fox)
    Doctor Strange (Disney/Marvel)
    Assassin’s Creed (Fox)
    The Great Wall (Universal)

ReplyCopy URL
    Tom
    Participant
    Topics:

I like these early topics, thanks TomHardys.

A few films that have the names attached that could be on the radar are:

* Hail, Caesar! (Directed and Screenplay by Joel and Ethan Coen) starring George Clooney, Josh Brolin, Channing Tatum, Tilda Swinton, Jonah Hill, Frances McDormand and Ralph Fiennes. Follows a fixer in 1950s Hollywood trying to discover what happened to a cast member who went missing during filming.

* Inferno (Directed by Ron Howard) starring Tom Hanks and Felicity Jones. A man wakes up in Italy with no memory of the past few days, he teams up with a doctor to help him recover.

* Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk (Directed by Ang Lee, Screenplay by Simon Beaufoy) starring Garrett Hedlund, Kristen Stewart and Steve Martin. A soldier’s recount of the hours before returning to Iraq. 

* Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Directed by David Yates, Screenplay by JK Rowling) starring Eddie Redmayne and Colin Farrell. Based on the book and marks JK Rowling’s screenwriting debut.

* The Founder (Directed by John Lee Hancock) starring Michael Keaton and Laura Dern. The story of Ray Kroc and his acquisition of McDonalds. 

* The Greatest Showman on Earth (Directed By Michael Gracey, Screenplay by Bill Condon) starring Hugh Jackman. The story of P.T. Barnum who was the founder of Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus. 

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Sally Field in Best Actress for Hello, My Name Is Doris.

ReplyCopy URL
    Nessie
    Topics:

Of the films mentioned above, I have a feeling Hail Caesar is going to be very lightweight Coen and The Accountant got its release date pushed back. It’s a thriller and probably not on a par with Gone Girl.

Despite its decidedly unOscar-friendly release date (March), Free State of Jones has to be the most Oscar baity film programmed for next year. Period biopic about a fascinating biracial couple in Mississippi and the war they led against the Confederacy. It’s written and directed by Gary Ross (multiple Oscar noms). He showed a very good feel for period films with Pleasantville and Seabiscuit and this could be a winner – particularly with such a timely topic given all the controversy about the Confederate flag and people who seem to be, 150 years later, still fighting the Civil War. 

It’s only amazing that a film hasn’t already been made about the Knight Company (it was, in the 40s, but it was literally whitewashed with Susan Hayward playing Newton Knight’s wife – who in reality was black).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_Knight

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Finding Dory for Best Picture!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

Michael Keaton for Best Actor for The Founder! Birdman will have his revenge!!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Titanium
    Participant
    Topics:

Michael Keaton for Best Actor for The Founder! Birdman will have his revenge!!!!

Yes to this! Laura Dern apparently has a Lady Macbeth style role so she’ll be a supporting actress contender hopefully.

Finding Dory for Best Picture!!!

I’d die of joy but animated sequels (besides Toy Story 3) for some reason never seem to do as well at the Oscars.

Can we also add “The Zookeeper’s Wife” into the mix too now that it’s  back on track and starting filming this September. Jessica Chastain as the real life heroine in a Holocaust film directed by Niki Caro; who’s directed 3 Oscar nominated perfomances. This seems on paper to be a baity one. Chastain vs Field. Amazing already!

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s an Emma Thompson/Brendan Gleeson/Daniel Bruhl WWII movie in the works. That alone is enough to add it to the list.

ReplyCopy URL
    Billie_Dawn
    Participant
    Topics:

* Inferno (Directed by Ron Howard) starring Tom Hanks and Felicity Jones. A man wakes up in Italy with no memory of the past few days, he teams up with a doctor to help him recover.

This is a sequel to The Da Vinci Code (or, if not exactly a sequel, then part of the same series), so I don’t see it getting a lot of awards kudos unless this series somehow makes one of the biggest quality leaps in the history of cinema.

ReplyCopy URL
    Billie_Dawn
    Participant
    Topics:

One of my most anticipated movies of next year is James Gray’s The Lost City of Z. It’s based on a great book, and while the cast doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence in me, the actors will really be put through the wringer (assuming they stick close to the true story). Plus, James Gray is overdue for recognition. Could be a contender in makeup, sound design (set in the Amazon rainforest), cinematography, and adapted screenplay.

ReplyCopy URL
    benutty
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Nocturnal Animals. Nocturnal Animals. Nocturnal Anims. Nocturnal Animals. Nocturnal Animals.

Pete’s Dragon. Pete’s Dragon. Pete’s Dragon. Pete’s Dragon. Pete’s Dragon. Pete’s Dragon.

Story of Your Life. Story of Your Life. Story of Your Life. Story of Your Life. Story of Your Life.

How to Talk to Girls at Parties. How to Talk to Girls at Parties. How to Talk to Girls at Parties.

But also:
    The Secret Scripture
    Race
    The Zookeeper’s Wife
    Knight of Cups
    Weightless (or whatever it’s going to be called)
    Wendy
    A Monster Calls
    Manchester-by-the-Sea
    It’s Only the End of the World

ReplyCopy URL
    benutty
    Keymaster
    Topics:

A24 acquired How to Talk to Girls at Parties (starring Nicole Kidman and Elle Fanning, dir. by John Cameron Mitchell). I can’t wait to see JCM and Kidman work together again!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    ATadPolish
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture:

1. Silence
    2. The Big Short
    3. The Founder
    4. Money Monster
    5. Genius
    6. Weightless (Terrence Malik Film)
    7. Passengers
    8. Hail Caesar!
    9. Nocturnal Animals
    10. Finding Dory

Best Director –
    1. Martin Scorsese – Silence
    2. Adam McKay – The Big Short
    3. Jodie Foster – Money Monster
    4. Terrence Malick – Weightless
    5. John Lee Hancock – The Founder

Best Actor –
    1. Michael Keaton – The Founder
    2. Jake Gyllenhaal – Nocturnal Animals
    3. George Clooney – Money Monster
    4. Andrew Garfield – Silence
    5. Will Smith – Collateral
    Beauty

Best Actress:
    1. Amy Adams – Nocuturnal Animals
    2. Jennifer Lawerence – Passengers
    3. Jessica Chastain – The Zoo Keepers Wife
    4. Meryl Streep – Florence Foster Jenkins
    5. Sally Hawkins – Hello, My Name is Doris

Best Supporting Actor:
    1. Liam Neeson – Silence
    2. Christian Bale – The Big Short
    3. Jude Law – Genius
    4. Steve Carrell – The Big Short
    5. Jack O’Connell – Money Monster

Best Supporting Actress:
    1. Laura Dern – The Founder
    2. Julia Roberts – Money Monster
    3. Natalie Portman – Weightless
    4. Tilda Swinton – Hail Caesar!
    5. Nicole Kidman – Genius

Best Adapted Screenplay:
    1. The Big Short
    2. Silence
    3. Genius
    4. Finding Dory
    5. Nocturnal Animals

Best Original Screenplay:
    1. The Founder
    2. Hail Caesar!
    3. Money Monster
    4. Passengers
    5. La La Land

ReplyCopy URL
    benutty
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I’m reading the book that Nocturnal Animals is based on and so far I’m finding it difficult to imagine the material becoming Oscar-caliber work for Gyllenhaal and Adams. That being said, I have tremendous faith in Tom Ford as a director.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.