Home Forums Movies 2018 Oscar Nominee Predictions: Part 8

2018 Oscar Nominee Predictions: Part 8

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 536 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 days ago
( +11 hidden )
replies
views
users
Teridax
PJ Edwards
FreemanGriffin
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

^this is why I am hoping that 3 Billboards is not nominated in any of the technical categories. I am ABB more than anything else this year. I am hoping the film editing of I, Tonya is so dazzling that it will get nominated, and I am hoping that the Director’s branch goes maverick and nominates Sean Baker and does not nominate Martin McDonagh. Again, ABB!

sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

I can see 3B getting 6 nominations easily. Best Picture, Director, Screenplay, Actress, Supporting Actor, Score. And I kinda think it will overperform and might get double digits.

Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

Get Out will win Best Picture. Its just very timely movie and people feel passionate about (they do not about The Post)and thats all that matters really….you can still find 15/1 odds for it and make a lot of money.

As for nominations. it can easily reach 6.
    Im predicting it currently for

– BP
    – Directing
    – Actor
    – Editing
    – Screenplay

and one of sounds cat isnt impossible

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Damiansport1.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Damiansport1.
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

Get Out can and at this point probably will get more than 5. Picture, director, actor, screenplay, and editing are obvious contenders. I am predicting it in one of the sound categories. It could also be a dark horse for score, sound editing, production design, and cinematography. I suspect all it needs is the Big 5 I mentioned though.

TVFan365
    Participant
    Topics:

I have Get Out, Dunkirk, The Shape of Water, Blade Runner 2049, and Baby Driver in for Editing. If those actually do end up being the nominees for Editing and The Shape of Water misses out on a screenplay nom, then Get Out can potentially be the only film nominated for Picture, Directing, Acting, Screenplay, and Editing, assuming it gets into all five of course (which doesn’t seem that unlikely at the moment).

Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

I have Get Out, Dunkirk, The Shape of Water, Blade Runner 2049, and Baby Driver in for Editing. If those actually do end up being the nominees for Editing and The Shape of Water misses out on a screenplay nom, then Get Out can potentially be the only film nominated for Picture, Directing, Acting, Screenplay, and Editing, assuming it gets into all five of course (which doesn’t seem that unlikely at the moment).

The difference though is that Get Out got a SAG ensemble nom and The Shape of Water didn’t.

Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

This year is going to be so scattered, that the BP winner may even lead in wins. I think Birdman was the last time that happened?

Birdman won 4, tying with Grand Budapest Hotel for the most wins that year. Same happened with BP The King’s Speech and Inception a few years before that. The last time a BP Oscar winner was alone at the top with the most wins of the night was The Hurt Locker.

Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

My 5 Best Film Editing nominee predictions currently are:

1. Get Out

2. Lady Bird

3. Baby Driver

4. The Shape of Water

5. Dunkirk

Get Out and Lady Bird are the Best Picture frontrunners so I think they are safe for Editing. I keep wanting to take out Blade Runner 2049 for Dunkirk since the latter is a more likely BP nominee. Baby Driver I have in the middle since I think it is the definition of being safe, but not a lock. I just took out Blade Runner 2049 for Dunkirk today. I feel like BR2049 failing to make the cut for SAG Stunt Ensemble is a sign of the film under-performing for the guilds and probably for the rest of awards season in general.

I cannot WAIT for the ACE Eddie nominations to help clarify this category.

Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

^those may be its only 2 nominations and I don’t think it is at all beloved ‘out there’ in Hollywood. Identity politics is the only thing it has going for it and there are a few other identity politics movies in the mix this year. It might over-perform and get more nominations, that is possible, it’s hard to know without knowing the composition of the voters who will be doing the nominations.

“Identity politics,” my ass. Are you Donald Trump? JK, but seriously?!

Get Out is safe for Director and Daniel Kaluuya as well, while I think it will also get nominated for Film Editing. Maybe/hopefully it will get a Music Score, Cinematography, and a Sound nod as well. Be careful about letting your personal opinions influence your predictions too much. The industry loves this movie. The fact it is getting as much recognition at awards after awards after awards when it came out in February really says something about how much Peele’s film really resonated with people.

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

^but my question is: why? I dislike all identity politics and find it dangerous because people forget to do any critical thinking around it and use it for nefarious means of keeping us tethered to what oppresses us rather than to be healthy and wise. It is Buddhist principles that guide my thinking. As far as my ability to predict, I agree, I am not great at it. I always score better on t.v. predictions, likely because I don’t watch all that much television (; Opinions are opinions, and do not ever need to be pounced on. I simply disliked Get Out and found it to be a really silly inane dull movie that for me is quite fake and disingenuous. Disagreeing on here is always going to happen and everybody is entitled to their opinion.

But I really don’t think the Director’s branch is going to nominate Jordan Peele, nor do I think Daniel Kaluuya will be nominated. We will know for certain next month. I hope I am the one who will be proven right but if I’m not it’s just their poor choice, that’s all.

Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

^but my question is: why? I dislike all identity politics and find it dangerous because people forget to do any critical thinking around it and use it for nefarious means of keeping us tethered to what oppresses us rather than to be healthy and wise. It is Buddhist principles that guide my thinking. As far as my ability to predict, I agree, I am not great at it. I always score better on t.v. predictions, likely because I don’t watch all that much television (; Opinions are opinions, and do not ever need to be pounced on. I simply disliked Get Out and found it to be a really silly inane dull movie that for me is quite fake and disingenuous. Disagreeing on here is always going to happen and everybody is entitled to their opinion.

But I really don’t think the Director’s branch is going to nominate Jordan Peele, nor do I think Daniel Kaluuya will be nominated. We will know for certain next month. I hope I am the one who will be proven right but if I’m not it’s just their poor choice, that’s all.

I know we can obviously have our own opinions and disagree dude, I just feel like “identity politics” is such an overused term that is more often than not wrongly applied to diminish great or even just good works of art from people who are not cis, white, heterosexual, or males.

I don’t want Three Billboards to get nominated for Best Picture since I hate that film so much, yet I have it in either 2nd or 3rd for Best Picture and getting into a few other major categories.

Like I said though, opinions are fine, just be careful in letting them have a negative impact on your predictions, that’s all. 🙂

PJ Edwards
    Participant
    Topics:

Streep is done. Rose sending her RoseArmy after her for being complicit with Harvey. The streak. Is over.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rose-mcgowan-calls-meryl-streep-actresses-who-plan-wear-black-golden-globes-1068713

Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Streep is done. Rose sending her RoseArmy after her for being complicit with Harvey. The streak. Is over.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rose-mcgowan-calls-meryl-streep-actresses-who-plan-wear-black-golden-globes-1068713

DAMN! I thought she was defending Meryl at one point! I already have The Post getting snubbed for Directing, Editing, and I think Hanks. If Streep gets snubbed then the movie also doesn’t get into any other categories, I’m not ready to predict that just yet.

Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

2. Lady Bird

Huh?

Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

2. Lady Bird

Huh?

It is out front for Best Picture, the flawless and uncannily well-paced Editing was one of the best elements of the film, I think it is hilarious how low its odds are. I confidently have it getting in at 100\1 odds.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 536 total)

The topic ‘2018 Oscar Nominee Predictions: Part 8’ is closed to new replies.