Home Forums Movies 2018 Oscar Nominee Predictions: Part 8

2018 Oscar Nominee Predictions: Part 8

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 536 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +11 hidden )
replies
views
users
Teridax
PJ Edwards
FreemanGriffin
  • Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m honestly contemplating if Abbie Cornish shocks with a nomination. I didn’t care for her performance, and I know many on this site didn’t either. However, Three Billboards has been over performing like crazy. She did get AACTA (although there is Australian bias ). She is the only possibility in that category for Three Billboards, so if they really love the movie, maybe she’ll get swept away. Her few scenes are pretty baity to be honest. The actors obviously like the film. Three Billboards has support and is consistently over performing so a Cornish nod would make sense.

I hope it doesn’t happen but I just want to throw it out there.

sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

If I, Tonya somehow gets in for both Editing and Director, would it make it more competitive for the BP than Lady Bird? Since Lady Bird does not seem to have a chance at an editing nomination. And in turn would this make Robbie more competitive than Ronan if we compare both films at their best case scenarios I, Tonya could get nominations for BP, BD, Screenplay, Actress, Supp. Actress, Film Editing, Make-up&Hair-styling, Costumes vs. to Lady Bird’s BP, BD, Screenplay, Actress, and Supp. Actress.

Both could shock with a Supporting Actor nomination but that seems too farfetched so I didn’t add anything for that. I, Tonya team really fucked it up by not accepting the song Sufjan made, it could’ve given them another easy nomination.

manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

If I, Tonya somehow gets in for both Editing and Director, would it make it more competitive for the BP than Lady Bird? Since Lady Bird does not seem to have a chance at an editing nomination. And in turn would this make Robbie more competitive than Ronan if we compare both films at their best case scenarios I, Tonya could get nominations for BP, BD, Screenplay, Actress, Supp. Actress, Film Editing, Make-up&Hair-styling, Costumes vs. to Lady Bird’s BP, BD, Screenplay, Actress, and Supp. Actress.

Both could shock with a Supporting Actor nomination but that seems too farfetched so I didn’t add anything for that. I, Tonya team really fucked it up by not accepting the song Sufjan made, it could’ve given them another easy nomination.

I, Tonya is not getting a Director nomination lol.

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope those of you who are predicting I, Tonya gets a BP nomination are proven correct. I am not predicting it but would love for it to happen. I still think it’s going to be:

Call Me By Your Name
    Dunkirk
    The Florida Project (I will be so disappointed if it isn’t on the list)
    Get Out
    Lady Bird
    The Post
    The Shape Of Water
    Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri

At the moment I am on the fence about The Big Sick and Darkest Hour and just can’t decide if they will get enough votes to make it in, unfortunately if either of those or I, Tonya or Phantom Thread make it in they will replace my two favorites: The Florida Project and/or The Post ):

sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

I, Tonya is not getting a Director nomination lol.

Notice the word “somehow” there. Reading really is fundamental. Get over yourself and try to see the options more objectively next time, instead of making a bitchy comment.

I personally am not predicting it for Director, Editing, and Costumes but it has a chance in all of those categories in the best case scenario in other words if it overperforms and Gillespie is the director, most people are expecting to be the surprise nominee since DGA has not matched with the Oscars 5/5 for a long time.

Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m honestly contemplating if Abbie Cornish shocks with a nomination. I didn’t care for her performance, and I know many on this site didn’t either. However, Three Billboards has been over performing like crazy. She did get AACTA (although there is Australian bias ). She is the only possibility in that category for Three Billboards, so if they really love the movie, maybe she’ll get swept away. Her few scenes are pretty baity to be honest. The actors obviously like the film. Three Billboards has support and is consistently over performing so a Cornish nod would make sense.

I hope it doesn’t happen but I just want to throw it out there.

I think the overperforming/acting support is going to materialize into a Harrelson nod instead of a Cornish one. Even though Harrelson got SAG and BAFTA, I still see his nomination as being a result of being “swept away” with the Three Billboards train.

Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

I think I, Tonya’s PGA and WGA noms are going to push it over the edge. It has more guild support than The Florida Project and Call Me By Your Name, for example, so I think it gets Picture and Editing, as the editing has been a consistent point of praise for the film.

kancov
    Participant
    Topics:

I was going through my predictions and removed Darkest Hour from BP. Then, I googled previous nominees and winners and the last time the Drama Actor winner was from a movie not nominated for BP was in 2009. I’m saying this because people aren’t very convinced in Darkest Hour making it for Best Picture. In the combined odds, it’s #9, which might not be that bad. I’d like to hear other thoughts on this.

forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Darkest Hour is in the top 10, I just don’t think there will be a top ten. As of now I see 8:

1. Three Billboards
    2. Shape of Water
    3. Dunkirk
    4. Get Out
    5. Lady Bird
    6. The Post
    7. Call Me by Your Name
    8. The Florida Project

With Darkest Hour and I, Tonya as potential alternates but I really don’t see the former getting in unless there is at least 9 as it’s only got in at BAFTA although The Florida Project is a very weak 8 so it’s possible.

pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m still sorting out my last spots between The Florida Project, The Big Sick, I,Tonya and Darkest Hour. I’m pretty confident about I,Tonya, after that, The Big Sick makes the most sense on paper since it got sag, wga, and PGA nominations, but it definitely feels like it could still be snubbed. Darkest Hour is extremely baity, I can definitely see them still going for it even if it isn’t very good. I really want the Florida Project to get nominated but it seems so unlikely, I just can’t get myself to take it out of my predictions.

TVFan365
    Participant
    Topics:

If “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close” can get in to Picture with its only other nom being for Supporting Actor, then hopefully “The Florida Project” can get in as well.

Tyler [Last Name]
    Participant
    Topics:

Ugh. As much as I like Sam Rockwell as an actor (I even nominated him for Conviction and The Way Way Back for my Tyler’s Choice Awards), I really don’t want him to win Best Supporting Actor. I would prefer Willem Dafoe since he is more overdue and deserved.

FYC: Ready Player One. Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Visual Effects, Original Score, Production Design, Director and BEST PICTURE (make it happen Oscars!!)

Noah Arlington
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Darkest Hour is in the top 10, I just don’t think there will be a top ten. As of now I see 8: 1. Three Billboards 2. Shape of Water 3. Dunkirk 4. Get Out 5. Lady Bird 6. The Post 7. Call Me by Your Name 8. The Florida Project With Darkest Hour and I, Tonya as potential alternates but I really don’t see the former getting in unless there is at least 9 as it’s only got in at BAFTA although The Florida Project is a very weak 8 so it’s possible.

The Big Sick and I, Tonya have been getting more attention than The Florida Project so I see those getting in before it. Darkest Hour’s chances at BP are long dead. I have it at #13.

Paul Hardister
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t have Darkest Hour either for Best Picture because it doesn’t have much guild support surprisingly. It missed out on the Costume Designers Guild for example.

Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

@hunter-ish Cornish is quite good in Three Billboards despite limited screentime, but Sandy Martin would be more deserving of a Best Supporting Actress nod.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 536 total)

The topic ‘2018 Oscar Nominee Predictions: Part 8’ is closed to new replies.