Home Forums Movies 2018 Oscars – Books by which potential contenders were inspired

2018 Oscars – Books by which potential contenders were inspired

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
replies
views
users
GusCruz
aahoto
aahoto-II
  • GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I started a thread like this last year, so why not do it again?

We all know every year many of the Oscar contenders are inspired by books. I like to read (or re-read) some of them in advance, so by the time the movies arrive I can also judge them as adaptations.

I came up with the list below for the 2018 Oscars. It’s likely missing some titles, so please feel free to add. Also let us know which ones you’ve already read, and if they’re any good. (The books that do not share the same titles as their respective movies are noted)

Call Me By Your Name (by Andre Aciman)
    The Operators: The Wild and Terrifying Inside Story of America’s War in Afghanistan (by Michael Hastings) – inspired War Machine
    Last Flag Flying (by Darryl Ponicsan)
    Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool (by Peter Turner)
    The Leisure Seeker (by Michael Zadoorian)
    The Wife (by Meg Wolitzer)
    Un an après (by Anne Wiazemsky) – inspired the new Hazanavicius film, Redoutable
    Wildlife (by Richard Ford)
    Red Sparrow (by Jason Matthews)
    The Snowman (by Jo Nesbø)
    Mudbound (by Hillary Jordan)
    You Were Never Really Here (by Jonathan Ames)
    The Beguiled (by Thomas Cullinan)
    Molly’s Game: From Hollywood’s Elite to Wall Street’s Billionaire Boys Club, My High-Stakes Adventure in the World of Underground Poker (by Molly Bloom)
    The Dinner (by Herman Bock)
    On Chesil Beach (by Ian McEwan)
    Zama (by Antonio Di Benedetto)
    Annihilation (by Jeff VanderMeer)
    Thank You for Your Service (by David Finkel)
    The Glass Castle (by Jeannette Walls)
    Submergence (by J.M. Ledgard)
    Based on a True Story (by Delphine de Vigan)
    The Mountain Between Us (by Charles Martin)
    Mektoub is Mektoub (by François Bebaudeau)
    The Death of Stalin (by Fabien Nury) (it’s a graphic novel)
    Stronger (by Jeff Bauman and Bret Witter)
    Wonderstruck (by Brian Selznick)
    The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara (By David Kertzer)
    The Seagull (by Anton Tchekhov) – really a play, but a brilliant one — Tchekhov, duh!
    Tulip Fever (by Deborah Moggach)
    HHhH (by Laurent Binet) – inspired The Man with the Iron Heart

GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Oops! Forgot these:

Lean on Pete (by Willy Vlautin)
    Neil Gaiman’s How to Talk to Girls at Parties (by Neil Gaiman) – a short story, though
    Victoria & Abdul: The True Story of the Queen’s Closest Confidant (by Shrabani Basu)

ReplyCopy URL
    aahoto
    Participant
    Topics:

Great thread, thanks for creating it.

I am currently reading On Chesil Beach, and am waiting in the queue for Call Me By Your Name and The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara at my local library.

I have read The Seagull, and have seen it performed. It’s a wonderful play and I think Ronan and Bening will be great in the film.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

am waiting in the queue for Call Me By Your Name and The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara at my local library.

I already got CMBYN on my Kindle! Can’t wait to start reading that one. I also have physical copies of The Operators and HHhH.

ReplyCopy URL
    jasonface
    Participant
    Topics:

I just bought Call Me by Your Name this weekend and cannot wait to read it, but I’m going to read the The Glass Castle beforehand. Gives me more to look forward to lol. Still looking for On Chesil Beach and debating whether or not to read Annihilation.. Has anybody read anything else that is like a must-read?

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

Not on the list but i have read The Circle and its a very good book excited for the movie ( don’t think it will be a big Oscar movie )

have The dinner and am going to read that , I was interested in reading both the Beguiled and My Cousin rachel but have had some difficulty finding them

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AndrewsArt

Check out my Store.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Not on the list but i have read The Circle and its a very good book excited for the movie ( don’t think it will be a big Oscar movie )

have The dinner and am going to read that , I was interested in reading both the Beguiled and My Cousin rachel but have had some difficulty finding them

I think I had The Circle on my thread last year, but it didn’t come out. Maybe it could get tech nods.

Also forgot about My Cousin Rachel, thank you!

A movie that’s about to come out and was also on my list last year is The Lost City of Z. I always have hope that the Academy will recognize a James Gray movie, but this release so early in the year makes it unlikely that this will be the one.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

I have heard good things about Lost City of Z and am excited for the movie , it looks stunning .

maybe Tom Hanks could get a supporting nod for the The Circle

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AndrewsArt

Check out my Store.

ReplyCopy URL
    kingfan011
    Participant
    Topics:

How is On Chesil Beach. Ian McKewen is sort of hit or miss for me.

Hated or couldn’t get into:

Solar

Saturday

The Children’s Act

Amsterdam

Loved:

Atonement

Black Dogs

Enduring Love

How  do you think I will like On Chesil Beach?

ReplyCopy URL
    aahoto
    Participant
    Topics:

How is On Chesil Beach. Ian McKewen is sort of hit or miss for me.

Hated or couldn’t get into:

Solar

Saturday

The Children’s Act

Amsterdam

Loved:

Atonement

Black Dogs

Enduring Love

How do you think I will like On Chesil Beach?

To be honest, I’m not far in with On Chesil Beach, I’ve been focusing more on Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. I’m just responding because I don’t want to seem rude, and also, I don’t want this thread to disappear!

I’m almost done with Life After Life, so I will get onto On Chesil Beach soon. I started Atonement in 2011 and at that time I had a lot going on in my life so I gave up pretty early in. It’s on the top of my list to read though. I haven’t read any other Ian McEwan.

How’s everyone else going with reading of potential Oscar adaptations?

ReplyCopy URL
    lovelylovely
    Participant
    Topics:

I originally had On Chesil Beach borrowed from my county library digital system, but it ran out before I could renew so I physically went to the library and picked up a copy. It’s just been sitting on my table since i’ve been too into binge watching Curb Your Enthusiasm lately, but I’ll start it within the next day or two.

After that i’ll move onto either Annihilation or Call Me By Your Name. Has anyone finished any of these?

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s hard to imagine it really having much buzz, but The Disaster Artist is one of my favourite books and I am very excited for the upcoming adaptation.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I originally had On Chesil Beach borrowed from my county library digital system, but it ran out before I could renew so I physically went to the library and picked up a copy. It’s just been sitting on my table since i’ve been too into binge watching Curb Your Enthusiasm lately, but I’ll start it within the next day or two.

After that i’ll move onto either Annihilation or Call Me By Your Name. Has anyone finished any of these?

I’m not loving Call Me By Your Name.

Has anyone read Wonderstruck? I’m afraid it might be too much “for kids” and I’ll lose interest quickly

ReplyCopy URL
    aahoto
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve just finished On Chesil Beach. I think it could be a lovely period film, like Brooklyn. Also, a lot of what the characters go through is very internal, except for a showdown of sorts on the beach, which could be potential Oscar clips. If the film is true to the novel (I’m sure it will be, the author is writing the screenplay), then the sort of performances you’d expect from the source material might be too internal and reserved for Oscar voters to give Ronan a win, but I think she’ll be nominated for sure.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve just finished On Chesil Beach. I think it could be a lovely period film, like Brooklyn. Also, a lot of what the characters go through is very internal, except for a showdown of sorts on the beach, which could be potential Oscar clips. If the film is true to the novel (I’m sure it will be, the author is writing the screenplay), then the sort of performances you’d expect from the source material might be too internal and reserved for Oscar voters to give Ronan a win, but I think she’ll be nominated for sure.

Better book than Atonement?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
Reply To: 2018 Oscars – Books by which potential contenders were inspired

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.