Home Forums Movies 27th IFP Gotham Independent Film Awards 2017

27th IFP Gotham Independent Film Awards 2017

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
  • Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Guys, do you think Sally Hawkins won’t win an Oscar because she was snubbed for a Gotham award?

If she doesn’t win the Oscar, it won’t have anything to do with this.

ReplyCopy URL
    eclipseart98
    Participant
    Topics:

Guys, do you think Sally Hawkins won’t win an Oscar because she was snubbed for a Gotham award?

If she doesn’t win the Oscar, it won’t have anything to do with this.

I hope so. I have watched Happy-Go-Lucky and I think she would have been nominated if it wasn’t for Kate Winslet. The Academy often snubbed underrateds.

ReplyCopy URL
    eclipseart98
    Participant
    Topics:

I haven’t watched Get Out and I think it’s probably good but I hope IFP won’t think that it will win because it’s a PC movie. I have my money on Call Me By Your Name and also its screenplay. It would be funny if James Franco will win but I think it’s Willem Dafoe. Saiorse Ronan should win Best Actress.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyWinner
    Participant
    Topics:

“OMG Shape of water was snubbed. Hawkins is done.”

Please, get a grip!

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I haven’t watched Get Out and I think it’s probably good but I hope IFP won’t think that it will win because it’s a PC movie. I have my money on Call Me By Your Name and also its screenplay. It would be funny if James Franco will win but I think it’s Willem Dafoe. Saiorse Ronan should win Best Actress.

WTF does that mean?! Get Out is a masterpiece that will be discussed and acclaimed decades from now, see it ASAP, just to have an informed opinion!

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Very happy for the nominations for Get Out and The Big Sick!! 🙂 I must object to Robert Pattinson’s nomination for Good Time, though. Yes, his performance was good, but the film is massively flawed and highly overrated, and his performance isn’t enough to fix its glaring problems. It’s the lack of development to his character among other things that make the film not as great as its Rotten Tomatoes score would suggest. Also, I’m sad to see Aubrey Plaza snubbed for Ingrid Goes West. 🙁

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Congrats to Get Out! I expect to hear more nominations as the awards season continues 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

“OMG Shape of water was snubbed. Hawkins is done.” Please, get a grip!

I just pointed out the statistics and you all are already mad. She is losing and you people will lose it with her it seems. Missing Gotham – a NY based award- probably means she’ll also miss NYFCC which is one of the more important critics group awards, but go ahead ignore the signs universe is throwing at you.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Losing NYFCC wouldn’t be a deal breaker for Hawkins either. It hasn’t been for anyone, really.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Losing NYFCC wouldn’t be a deal breaker for Hawkins either. It hasn’t been for anyone, really.

Winning that usually helps though. It certainly helped Isabelle Huppert last year. In fact, the only winner of NYFCC missing from Best Actress line-up this decade was Rachel Weisz.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Winning that usually helps though. It certainly helped Isabelle Huppert last year. In fact, the only winner of NYFCC missing from Best Actress line-up this decade was Rachel Weisz.

Forget specifically Best Actress. What about Robert Redford for All Is Lost? Carol won Picture and Director with the NYFCC yet thankfully (Carol stans can always kiss my ass) wasn’t nominated for either at the Oscars. I’m just saying it is wise to NEVER treat the NYFCC as a reliable Oscar predictor in the slightest. If you do so, you’re only going to look desperate to either prove a contender you want to win is a lock or in your case try to prove a contender you don’t like doesn’t have a shot at winning. I think Sally Hawkins is a safe bet to win the Oscar for now. Don’t forget she also gave another acclaimed performance in Maudie earlier this year. I predict Saoirse Ronan will win NYFCC for Lady Bird and get nominated for an Oscar, but still lose to Sally Hawkins for The Shape of Water & Maudie.

ReplyCopy URL
    AnDres Gtz
    Participant
    Topics:

Gothams are the kind of awards that help the films which overperfomed or performed well, but it doesn’t really affect the ones that were snubbed. This because of the early timing.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Forget specifically Best Actress.

Why? I was and am talking about the Best Actress category, if I wanted to talk about others I would’ve brought other statistics.  Most of these critics are gay and the most important category for gay men is the Best Actress category, which is why critics usually align with the eventual nominees and the winner.

I’m just saying it is wise to NEVER treat the NYFCC as a reliable Oscar predictor in the slightest. If you do so, you’re only going to look desperate to either prove a contender you want to win is a lock or in your case try to prove a contender you don’t like doesn’t have a shot at winning.

I am not trying to make Hawkins look bad, the situation in and of itself looks bad. I haven’t seen The Shape of Water yet and for all I know she might end up as my favorite performance BUT the fact that she missed out on the first nominations is a sign of vulnerability.

I think Sally Hawkins is a safe bet to win the Oscar for now. Don’t forget she also gave another acclaimed performance in Maudie earlier this year. I predict Saoirse Ronan will win NYFCC for Lady Bird and get nominated for an Oscar, but still lose to Sally Hawkins for The Shape of Water & Maudie.

You also think The Shape of Water will end up with three acting awards so that doesn’t seem objective in the least bit. If anything, critics are the ones LOVING awarding two performances -Marion Cotillard, Isabelle Huppert- so if anything Hawkins should be the one having a leg up on the competition.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  sofan.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

So The Beguiled looks like it isn’t happening when it had a $10m budget and got shut out here. Oh well

ReplyCopy URL
    Sentinel666
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Feature: “Call Me By Your Name”
    Best Actor: James Franco (“The Disaster Artist”)
    Best Actress: Margot Robbie (“I, Tonya”)
    Best Screenplay: “Call Me By Your Name”
    Breakout Actor: Timothee Chalamet (“Call Me By Your Name”)
    Breakthrough Director: Jordan Peele (“Get Out”)

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.