29th American Society of Cinematographers (ASC) Awards 2014 [NOMINEES ANNOUNCED]

Home // Forums // Movies // 29th American Society of Cinematographers (ASC) Awards 2014 [NOMINEES ANNOUNCED]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • AviChristiaans
    Participant
    Topics:

Birdman, Unbroken, The Imitation Game, Mr Turner, The Grand Budapest Hotel.
    http://deadline.com/2015/01/asc-awards-nominees-2015-cinematograpers-birdman-unbroken-1201343016/

Cheshire
    Participant
    Topics:

No Interstellar is surprising, I can see these five being your Best Cinematography line-up at the Oscars. Harvey is going all out for The Imitation Game.

ReplyCopy URL
    AviChristiaans
    Participant
    Topics:

Gone Girl snub is HUGE. Can’t believe it. And The Imitation Game coming for that multiple nominations at the Oscars.

ReplyCopy URL
    vozas
    Topics:

Gone Girl was never in the running for this. Like in most Fincher films, there was nothing special about its cinematography.

ReplyCopy URL
    outsider
    Topics:

I think David Fincher films usually have excellent cinematography, but I actively disliked that aspect of “Gone Girl”. I’m glad it didn’t get in.

This shows that “The Imitation Game” might be bigger at the Oscars than previously estimated.

Also, “Interstellar” might fare worse than anticipated.

ReplyCopy URL
    JRMeehl
    Participant
    Topics:

Its going to be a regular occurence to Nolan hipsters to be disapointed around Oscar time. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy most of his movies, but he’s the creative darling that can do no wrong.

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

I was really hoping that Nightcrawler would pick up a really shocking nomination here, but at least Grand Budapest got in. This is still absolutely Birdman’s to lose.

ReplyCopy URL
    Actriz
    Participant
    Topics:

Imitation Game is proving to be insanely strong. A DGA nod might make me think it’s the BP frontrunner. Great to see Grand Budapest making it in literally everywhere so far. 

Such a shame that none of Bradford Young’s exquisite work this year has been recognized.

Snubs for the very well-respected Hoyte van Hoytema and Jeff Cronenweth are quite surprising. I think Gone Girl can still make it at the Oscars simply because it’s been making it everywhere else, but Interstellar seems done. But which one misses at the Oscars for it to get in?

Birdman and Unbroken are probably locked. Imitation Game and Grand Budapest are becoming BP favorites, so they’re probably in too. I’ve yet to see Mr. Turner, but it seems very strong in this category and Dick Pope is very well respected. Really a tough choice.

I’m just glad The Theory of Everything hasn’t ridiculously become a contender in this race like it has in every other race it’s eligible for. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Tough blows for both Bradford Young and Robert Elswit. No reason at all for something like “The Imitation Game” to be here instead of those and others. Always thrilled for recognition for Emmanuel Lubeski and Roger Deakins, two uber masters of their craft.

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

Some interesting stats I managed to find regarding the correlation between ASC nods and Oscar nominations for Cinematography:

Years where ASC foretold all five nominees:
    1996 (though ASC had six nominees)
    2013 (though ASC had seven nominees)

Years where they shared four nominees:

Years where Three Matched:

Two Matched:
    1995 (and, for further dissonance, ASC had six nominees, meaning four were left off)  

ReplyCopy URL
    vozas
    Topics:

I think David Fincher films usually have excellent cinematography

I’m a huge David Fincher fan and that’s a very common misconception. His movies do indeed have a trademark editing and lighting which everyone can recognize, but those are 2 very distinct aspects from cinematography.

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

Halo_Insider, do you have the stats of any times the Oscar winner didn’t get a nomination here? I’m guessing it hasn’t happened a lot.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Huge sigh of relief for Mr. Turner – after ADG snub I was getting concerned. The Imitation Game is the least deserving ASC nominee since Les Misérables, whose cinematography was mostly dreadful, although I reckon it was more Tom Hooper’s fault than DP Danny Cohen’s. Like that film, I expect Imitation Game’s cinematography might ultimately miss out on an Oscar nom. Grand Budapest is a happy surprise (though not that surprising). 

ReplyCopy URL
    Paul Rankin
    Participant
    Topics:

Glory(1989) and Pan’s Labyrinth (2006) are the only 2 Best CInematography Oscar Winners who didn’t receive an ASC nomination

Halo_Insider, do you have the stats of any times the Oscar winner didn’t get a nomination here? I’m guessing it hasn’t happened a lot.

First Place- 2015 DGA Awards
    First Place- 2015 Razzie Award Nominations
    First Place- 2015 Academy Of Country Music Awards

ReplyCopy URL
    Ryan Lapierre
    Participant
    Topics:

I still have Nightcrawler in after 3 and a half months. Can’t take it out. This been a longshot of mine and I can’t take it out.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Reply To: 29th American Society of Cinematographers (ASC) Awards 2014 [NOMINEES ANNOUNCED]

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.