Home Forums Movies 64th Annual American Cinema Editors (ACE) Eddie Awards 2014 Discussions

64th Annual American Cinema Editors (ACE) Eddie Awards 2014 Discussions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
AviChristiaans
endaugust
Ashkan
  • AviChristiaans
    Participant
    Topics:

The 2014 ACE EDDIE AWARDS will be presented at the Beverly Hilton Hotel on FRIDAY, February 7, 2014

The ACE Eddie Awards is considered an integral precursor to the Oscars®. No film has won Best Picture at the Oscars® without also having received at least a Best Editing nomination since ORDINARY PEOPLE in 1981. Since the ACE membership boasts a very high crossover within its membership of Academy® members, it represents a very accurate bellwether for the eventual Oscar® outcome.

Over the last 20 years, the (ACE) Eddie Award’s drama winner (including one tie) has gone on to take home the editing Oscar 17 times, while the comedy/musical winner has done so once.

In those 20 years, the ACE winner has gone on to win Best Picture 13 times.

NOMINEES FOR 64th ANNUAL ACE EDDIE AWARDS

BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM (DRAMATIC):
    -12 Years a Slave
    Joe Walker

-Captain Phillips
    Chris Rouse, A.C.E.

-Gravity
    Alfonso Cuarón & Mark Sanger

-Her
    Eric Zumbrunnen, A.C.E. & Jeff Buchanan

-Saving Mr. Banks
    Mark Livolsi, A.C.E.

BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM (COMEDY OR MUSICAL):

-American Hustle
    Jay Cassidy, A.C.E., Crispin Struthers & Alan Baumgarten, A.C.E.

-August: Osage County
    Stephen Mirrione, A.C.E.

-Inside Llewyn Davis
    Roderick Jaynes

-Nebraska
    Kevin Tent, A.C.E.

-The Wolf of Wall Street
    Thelma Schoonmaker, A.C.E.

BEST EDITED ANIMATED FEATURE FILM:

-Despicable Me 2
    Gregory Perler, A.C.E.

-Frozen
    Jeff Draheim

-Monsters University
    Greg Snyder

BEST EDITED DOCUMENTARY (FEATURE):

-20 Feet from Stardom
    Douglas Blush, Kevin Klauber & Jason Zeldes

-Blackfish
    Eli Despres

-Tim’s Vermeer
    Patrick Sheffield

Academy Award®-nominated filmmaker Paul Greengrass will be honored with the organization’s prestigious ACE Golden Eddie Filmmaker of the Year Award.

Richard Halsey, A.C.E and Robert C Jones,  A.C.E will recive the 2014 Career Achievement Award.

Randy Roberts, A.C.E will receive the 2014 Heritage Award.

AviChristiaans
    Participant
    Topics:

My Predictions:

BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM (DRAMATIC):

-Gravity
    Alfonso Cuarón & Mark Sanger

BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM (COMEDY OR MUSICAL):
    -The Wolf of Wall Street
    Thelma Schoonmaker, A.C.E.

BEST EDITED ANIMATED FEATURE FILM:
    -Frozen
    Jeff Draheim

BEST EDITED DOCUMENTARY (FEATURE):
    20 Feet from Stardom
    Douglas Blush, Kevin Klauber & Jason Zeldes

ReplyCopy URL
    AviChristiaans
    Participant
    Topics:

Awards have started. BEST EDITED DOCUMENTARY (FEATURE) goes to 20 Feet from Stardom, Douglas Blush, Kevin Klauber & Jason
    Zeldes

ReplyCopy URL
    AviChristiaans
    Participant
    Topics:

ACE EDDIE AWARDS winner: BEST EDITED ANIMATED FEATURE FILM:-Frozen (Jeff Draheim)

ACE EDDIE AWARDS winner: BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM (COMEDY OR MUSICAL):– American Hustle (Jay Cassidy, A.C.E., Crispin Struthers & Alan Baumgarten, A.C.E.)

ReplyCopy URL
    AviChristiaans
    Participant
    Topics:

ACE EDDIE AWARDS winner: BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM (DRAMATIC):– Captain Phillips Chris Rouse, A.C.E.

ReplyCopy URL
    DominicCobb
    Participant
    Topics:

Somehow this doesn’t surprise me.

ReplyCopy URL
    GermanGuidanceSystem
    Topics:

I’m gutted 🙁

In my predictions, my 3 bankers were 20 Feet From Stardom, Frozen AND Captain Phillips.

But then after much umming and ahhing over the 4th category, I plumped for Wolf Of Wall Street over American Hustle.

Drat! That might be the closest I ever get to winning a prediction contest, here! 

ReplyCopy URL
    Troye
    Participant
    Topics:

lol, so if we believe this ACE barometer, does this mean that it’ll be Captain Phillips vs American Hustle for BP? 

I still think that the Oscars will go for Gravity for Editing, instead of going for Captain Phillips. I think this will happen because I feel the Academy doesn’t really like Captain Phillips (well, at least the Director’s branch + the actors’ branch, which is already like what, ~ 1500/6000 members?)

Two surprise wins for Captain Phillips this week (WGA & ACE), but my gut tells me that it doesn’t mean much.

I remember back in 2011 The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo beat best picture contenders like The Artist/Hugo/The Descendants for Editing, but that is probably because The Girl with the Dragon Tatto feels like the kind of movie (crime/thriller/mystery) that deserves that award. But this year with both Gravity and Captain Phillips very reasonable choices, I think the Academy will simply go for Gravity since the general support for the film is much stronger.

By the way, they honored Paul Greengrass tonight with an achievement award. That wouldn’t have contributed to Captain Phillips’ win for the big award, right?

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Dixon
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I think this is very good news for “American Hustle,” and so-so news for “Gravity.” Best Editing could be the one award that Hustle actually wins on Oscar night, while Gravity is still going to win like 5 or 6 Oscars.

ReplyCopy URL
    Malick
    Topics:

What a great choice by the editors for drama. Glad i stayed firm on my prediction that Captain Philips would beat Gravity and 12 Yrs,

ReplyCopy URL
    DamianWayne
    Topics:

I’m still going with Gravity for the Oscar, followed closely by Captain Phillips. Hustle comes 3rd. The other two have no shot.

ReplyCopy URL
    endaugust
    Participant
    Topics:

I think this is very good news for “American Hustle,” and so-so news for “Gravity.” Best Editing could be the one award that Hustle actually wins on Oscar night, while Gravity is still going to win like 5 or 6 Oscars.

AH won in the non-competitive comedy category.  It doesn’t bode its chance for an editing Oscar.

The Captain Phillips team had won an editing Oscar for “The Bourne Ultimatum” when that film wasn’t even a BP contender.  So it will still be quite a formidable force at the Oscars for editing.

Gravity losing ACE is a reality check that people are not necessarily so madly in love with it that they will check it off automatically on their ballots.

ReplyCopy URL
    nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

I still think Gravity wins editing at the oscars. Captain Phillips may be better, as editors voted for it, but I think all the above line voters who don’t really get editing will still tick of gravity (not to say that gravity isnt also very good editing)

ReplyCopy URL
    endaugust
    Participant
    Topics:

^ Not true.  Academy voters aren’t ignorant to editing.  They awarded non-BP contenders like “Girl with Dragon Tattoo” and “Bourne Ultimatum”.

But you’re right, Gravity is still a strong contender at the Oscars for editing, but it’s no where near a lock like it was perceived prior to yesterday. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Ashkan
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”Marcus_Dixon”]I think this is very good news for “American Hustle,” and so-so news for “Gravity.” Best Editing could be the one award that Hustle actually wins on Oscar night, while Gravity is still going to win like 5 or 6 Oscars.

AH won in the non-competitive comedy category.  It doesn’t bode its chance for an editing Oscar.

The Captain Phillips team had won an editing Oscar for “The Bourne Ultimatum” when that film wasn’t even a BP contender.  So it will still be quite a formidable force at the Oscars for editing.

Gravity losing ACE is a reality check that people are not necessarily so madly in love with it that they will check it off automatically on their ballots.[/quote]

I currently have AH in second place. I figure that either Gravity or Captain Phillips will be first (currently have Gravity) and the other will be third due to a vote split.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Reply To: 64th Annual American Cinema Editors (ACE) Eddie Awards 2014 Discussions

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.