A 4th Oscar For Stephen Schwartz In 2019?

Home // Forums // Movies // A 4th Oscar For Stephen Schwartz In 2019?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
  • Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

As many of you probably know, one of the most popular musicals in Broadway history, Wicked, is finally being turned into a movie, with a release date of December 25, 2019. The show’s composer, Stephen Schwartz, recently revealed at Comic-Con that the movie version of Wicked will contain three brand new songs as well as a song that was cut from the Broadway production.

Although Schwartz’s work on Broadway has still never won him a Tony, the Oscars have been more receptive to his work. He’s already won 3 Oscars: Best Original Score and Best Original Song (“Colors Of The Wind”) from Pocahontas, and Best Original Song (“When You Believe”) from The Prince Of Egypt. Will one of his new songs from Wicked bring him home a 4th Oscar? What do you think?

ConMan
    Participant
    Topics:

I think a nomination is certainly in the cards, but adding new songs to an established musical score is always tricky because the songs that have been added can’t live up to the originals. It’s the same reason that Dreamgirls and Les Miserables didn’t win for their original songs.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

We’ll have to see how the rest of 2019’s original movie songs compare to Wicked’s.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I think a nomination is certainly in the cards, but adding new songs to an established musical score is always tricky because the songs that have been added can’t live up to the originals. It’s the same reason that Dreamgirls and Les Miserables didn’t win for their original songs.

Listen from Dreamgirls should have won. That song is just unbelievably good and I would have been fine if that song carried Beyonce to a Best Actress nomination. It always thrills me and gives me chills.

Anyway, who do you think will be cast in the two lead roles? Personally I think they should make Elphaba black. I think that would be good! It is already a relevant story. Green skin and a strong performance from an African American actress will show so much relevance in this world today.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Anyway, who do you think will be cast in the two lead roles?

I would’ve loved to have seen Menzel and Chenoweth reprise their roles but I feel both are probably too now. Thinking in the appropriate age range, I’d love to see Lea Michele play Elphaba. She can certainly sing the role and I think she has better acting chops than people give her credit for. Glinda could be Kristen Bell (maybe slightly too old as well sadly), Anna Kendrick or, after how brilliant she was in Grease Live, Vanessa Hudgens.Emma Stone could also be a great Glinda.
    Either Jonathan Groff or Aaron Tveit has to be Fiyero. If it is Groff that would make the case for Michele as Elphaba even stronger as they already have a very strong relationship.

FYC: The Crown, Fleabag and AHS: Roanoke for Gold Derby TV Awards

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

I would’ve loved to have seen Menzel and Chenoweth reprise their roles but I feel both are probably too now.

All the more reason Wicked: The Movie should be an animated film.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, they really really really like him so an animated version may be a no-brainer winner.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, they really really really like him so an animated version may be a no-brainer winner.

Stephen Daldry has no experience directing an animated film though. I think it’s still going to be live action

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

I would’ve loved to have seen Menzel and Chenoweth reprise their roles but I feel both are probably too now. Thinking in the appropriate age range, I’d love to see Lea Michele play Elphaba. She can certainly sing the role and I think she has better acting chops than people give her credit for. Glinda could be Kristen Bell (maybe slightly too old as well sadly), Anna Kendrick or, after how brilliant she was in Grease Live, Vanessa Hudgens.Emma Stone could also be a great Glinda.
    Either Jonathan Groff or Aaron Tveit has to be Fiyero. If it is Groff that would make the case for Michele as Elphaba even stronger as they already have a very strong relationship.

I bet Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel will have cameos in the movie. Whenever an actor from the original Broadway production of a show is too old to reprise the role in the movie, they often have some kind of cameo role. For example, Broadway’s original Jean Valjean, Colm Wilkinson, had a cameo as the bishop in the recent film adaptation of Les Miserables.

ReplyCopy URL
    Volcarocka
    Participant
    Topics:

I say they might have cameos but they’re too old for the original roles. In addition, Idina’s voice is iffy at best, and I want as little voice editing was possible, though Chenoweth as Madame Morrible might be fun. Michele and Groff are the obvious choices for the two leads but anything’s possible at this point.

As for the original topic, I think an Oscar for Schwartz is likely, since he’s one of the best composers working. I don’t think all of the new songs he’s planning will make it into the final version, though, like Meryl Streep’s original song was cut from Into the Woods.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: A 4th Oscar For Stephen Schwartz In 2019?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.