Home Forums Movies AFI’s 100 Years… Greatest Stars (Other Worthy Candidates)

AFI’s 100 Years… Greatest Stars (Other Worthy Candidates)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

In 1999, AFI created a list of the 50 Greatest Stars in their opinion. I do think it’s a nice list but there are some worthy stars missing from their list. They could have done 100 stars in my opinion. Here are some of my choices.

• Bing Crosby
    • Frank Sinatra
    • Olivia de Hallivand
    • Montgomery Clift
    • Dorothy Dandridge
    • Thelma Ritter
    • Lucille Ball (probably the most legendary female entertainer ever)
    • Sammy Davis Jr.
    • Norma Shearer
    • Helen Hayes
    • Lana Turner
    • Audie Murphy
    • Joan Fonatine
    • Yul Brynner
    • Piper Laurie
    • Natalie Wood
    • Simone Signoret
    • Robert Taylor
    • Lena Horne
    • Burt Lancaster
    • Anna May Wong
    • Rosalind Russell
    • Gloria Swanson
    • William Holden
    • Dean Martin

I though AFI did have a good list but they were missing some very prominet stars who I felt deserved slots. I believe the AFI list should have been much bigger. Please feel free to add on more names or have an opinion on the names I provied. What do you guys think?

Anonymous
    Topics:

What happened to these AFI lists anyways? I haven’t seen any in the last few years.

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

What happened to these AFI lists anyways? I haven’t seen any in the last few years.

I believe they are satisfied with their list. They have only updated their overall film list.

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

Its hard for me to choose which snub was worse but if I had to choose, Id go with Olivia de Havilland and Yul Brynner. But all of these stars deserved to be mentioned and more.

ReplyCopy URL
    harposboy
    Topics:

Myrna Loy
    Tyrone Power

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

AFI defines an “American screen legend” as an actor or a team of actors with a significant screen presence in American feature-length films whose screen debut occurred in or before 1950, or whose screen debut occurred after 1950 but whose death has marked a completed body of work.

Rock Hudson

For men, I think Rock Hudson should have been included. He is terrific as a dramatic actor in Giant giving an underplayed performance as a rugged man whose world view is changed by a society in which ethnicity and gender roles challenge the rapidly vanishing patriarchal values. There is a scene where he travels hundreds of miles and surprises his estranged wife at a family wedding. The camera holds on his face as he watches his wife and listens to the vows. In traditional cinema, this is normally the shot saved for the actress. The reversal and Hudson’s masterful performance makes the moment indelible.

Of course, Hudson was equally effective in comedy such as the classic Pillow Talk. The spliced bathtub sequence with Doris Day is still funny and quite honestly, a little hot. He is a memorable screen presence who is dismissed as an star because of his work in romantic comedy.

Hattie McDaniel

For women,  Oscar winner Hattie McDaniel holds a special place in my heart as a great star of the early era of cinema. Remembered for her unforgettable work in Gone With the Wind, McDaniel was spectacular at  comedy as well. She deserved Oscar recognition as the maid serving dinner in Katharine Hepburn’s touching Alice Adams. McDaniel often played maids and was memorably quoted at the time, “I’d rather play a maid than be one.”

Four times married, McDaniel was the daughter of a freed slave. She struggled to survive as an actress in a segregated society. She was not permitted to attend the premiere of Gone With the Wind in Atlanta. Yet, she had an active career with her final triumph in radio as yet another maid in Beulah.

ReplyCopy URL
    tonorlo
    Participant
    Topics:

Both Burt Lancaster and William Holden were ranked among the male stars in that 1999 list, England. 

Other than John Wayne and Barbara Stanwyck inexplicably missing from the top 10 of their respective lineups, I really thought the AFI nailed their selections pretty well at the time; I can’t take issue with many of the choices.

But admittedly, I did begrudge the omissions of Myrna Loy, Rosalind Russell and Olivia de Havilland from the women’s lineup.

ReplyCopy URL
    benbraddock
    Participant
    Topics:

The AFI has struck a new low with their latest selection of the life achievement award. Steve Martin becomes the first recipient who has never even received an Oscar nomination in any category, let alone winning an Oscar. If the film academy snubbed Martin over the years for either his acting or screenwriting, there is no reason for the AFI to make it up to him in this way. He got his undeserved honorary Oscar and his undeserved Kennedy Center Honor. You are right to think I don’t enjoy Steve Martin in any media. Sorry.

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

The AFI has struck a new low with their latest selection of the life achievement award. Steve Martin becomes the first recipient who has never even received an Oscar nomination in any category, let alone winning an Oscar. If the film academy snubbed Martin over the years for either his acting or screenwriting, there is no reason for the AFI to make it up to him in this way. He got his undeserved honorary Oscar and his undeserved Kennedy Center Honor. You are right to think I don’t enjoy Steve Martin in any media. Sorry.

Spoiler alert — benbraddock cheers as Steve Martin races up to the stage to accept his Oscar for his brilliant performance in Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk.

ReplyCopy URL
    benbraddock
    Participant
    Topics:

If Steve Martin gives an oscar worthy performance
    then i will applaud…he still isnt worthy of the AFI
    Lifetime Achievement Award…

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.