Home Forums Movies Alan Ruck and Jennifer Grey in Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

Alan Ruck and Jennifer Grey in Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

I do think that it was a great ensemble (and Broderick is quite good as well), but man, Ruck and Grey were extremely frenetic in this and both deserved supporting nods! Wish the Academy would be more open about coming of age films such as this one!

What do you think?

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Ah! Ferris is a terrific film! Iconic really. The cast blends as one huge party. Nobody stands out for me personally, outside of Broderick.

Another one I adore is Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Another terrific cast. I may even prefer this earlier one. Hard to say.

Oscar nods? The only one I’d have been ok with is Sean Penn, in the latter. For me the construction and direction in both are the stand outs.

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

Ah! Ferris is a terrific film! Iconic really. The cast blends as one huge party. Nobody stands out for me personally, outside of Broderick.

Another one I adore is Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Another terrific cast. I may even prefer this earlier one. Hard to say.

Oscar nods? The only one I’d have been ok with is Sean Penn, in the latter. For me the construction and direction in both are the stand outs.

You’re right, Pook, as always!

Sean Penn deserved a nomination for Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Unfortunately, the Academy doesn’t have a stellar history of recognizing actors portraying adolescents. And they really have an aversion to those in comedies.

Though the first Best Actress winner Janet Gaynor in 1928 was merely 19 when she played a penniless teenager attempting to acquire medicine for her ailing mother, Oscar history shows limited further examples and most, like Gaynor’s Angela in Street Angel, are troubled.

1955 Sal Mineo and Natalie Wood earned supporting nominations for playing juvenile delinquents in Rebel With a Cause.
    1968 Jack Wild earned a nod as a miscreant in Oliver!
    1976 Oscar winner Sissy Spacek received her first nomination as an abused teen in Carrie.
    1976 Two time Oscar winner Jodie Foster earned her first nomination as a teenage prostitute in Taxi Driver.
    1980 Timothy Hutton won an Oscar as a suicidal teen in Ordinary People.
    1988 River Phoenix earned a supporting nomination as a gifted teen hiding from the law in Running on Empty
    1993 Oscar winner Leonardo DiCaprio earned his first nomination as the developmentally disabled teen in What’s Eating Gilbert Grape?
    2007 Ellen Page won a Best Actress nomination as an unwed pregnant teen in Juno.
    2007 Saoirse Ronan was nominated for playing an untruthful teen in Atonement.
    2010 Oscar winner Jennifer Lawrence earned her first Best Actress nomination as teen searching the Ozarks for her missing father in Winter’s Bone.
    2010 Hailee Steinfeld was a supporting actress nominee for her portrayal of a teen seeking her father’s murderer in True Grit.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d have nominated it for Supporting Actor (Jeffrey Jones) and Original Screenplay. Ruck and Grey are fine but I don’t think Oscar-calibur.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Best Original Song (1997) – Titanic Steamrolls the Oscars

ReplyCopy URL
    Boidiva02
    Participant
    Topics:

Ferris is a good movie and I would have probably given a Lead Actor Nomination to Broderick and a Supporting Actress Nomination to Jennifer Grey. I also would have given a Supporting Actor nomination to Jeffery Jones; who to me is the stand out in this film.

As for other coming of age films; one that I would have liked to see get some nominations was “Clueless”. I think in particular it is a crime that Alicia Silverstone didn’t get a single award show nomination for her star making work. And frankly, Amy Heckerling’s brilliant script deserved an Adapted Screenplay nomination.

And I also think “Mean Girls” is a film that was worthy of nominations, although at the time it likely wasn’t considered as such it seems like a more important film in hindsight. I would have given a nomination to Rachel McAdams, Lacey Chabert and Lindsay Lohan. I would have also given nominations for Tina Fey’s writing in Adapted Screenplay.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.