Home Forums Movies alternative Oscars for 1939

alternative Oscars for 1939

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
Scottferguson
babypook
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Recently, I’ve read 3 books (Majestic Hollywood is my current fun read!) about the great Hollywood movie year 1939, and there was a documentary on TCM on the subject recently as well. Just for fun, I worked up my own highly subjective list of “alternative Oscars” for the year. I decided to exclude foreign language films in which the year they were released in the U.S. is often confusing, hence The Rules Of The Game, one of the greatest films of all time, isn’t on this list.

Best Picture:

Dark Victory (Warner Bros.)
    Destry Rides Again (Universal)
    Gone With The Wind (MGM – Selznick)
    Midnight (Paramount)
    Only Angels Have Wings (Columbia)
    The Rains Came (20th-Century Fox)
    Stagecoach (United Artists)
    The Wizard Of Oz (MGM)
    The Women (MGM)
    Wuthering Heights (United Artists)

OTHER FILMS: Drums Along the Mohawk, Jesse James, Young Mr. Lincoln (20th-Century Fox); Mr. Smith Goes To Washington (Columbia); First Love, You Can’t Cheat An Honest Man, Son Of Frankenstein (Universal); Gunga Din, Love Affair, Five Came Back, Bachelor Mother, In Name Only, Fifth Avenue Girl, The Hunchback Of Notre Dame (RKO Radio); Confessions Of A Nazi Spy, Juarez, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, We Are Not Alone, The Roaring Twenties, The Old Maid, Dodge City (Warner Bros.); Made For Each Other, Itermezzo, Topper Takes A Trip, The Four Feathers, The Man In the Iron Mask, Of Mice and Men (United Artists); Union Pacific, Beau Geste, The Light That Failed (Paramount)

Best Actor:

James Cagney, The Roaring Twenties
    Walter Connolly, Fifth Avenue Girl
    Henry Fonda, Young Mr. Lincoln
    Clark Gable, Gone With The Wind
    James Stewart, Mr. Smith Goes To Washington

OTHER ACTORS: Robert Donat, Goodbye, Mr. Chips; Laurence Olivier, Wuthering Heights; Mickey Rooney, The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn, Babes In Arms and Andy Hardy pictures; Basil Rathbone, Sherlock Holmes (The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes and The Hound Of The Baskervilles); George Brent, The Rains Came; Cary Grant, Only Angels Have Wings and In Name Only; James Stewart, Destry Rides Again and Made For Each Other; Charles Boyer, Love Affair; Paul Muni, We Are Not Alone; John Wayne, Stagecoach; and Ronald Colman, The Light That Failed; Lon Chaney, Jr. and Burgess Meredith, Of Mice and Men; Charles Laughton, The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Gabriel
    Participant
    Topics:

Not a fan of foreign cinema? Renoir’s The Rules of the Game, which is widely considered to be one of the greatest films of all time, came out in 1939.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

For me, the three great American films of 1939 were Only Angels Have Wings (Howard Hawks) and two from John Ford (Young Mr Lincoln, arguably his greatest film, and Stagecoach, close behind).

Jean Renoir’s Rules of the Game, arguably the greatest film ever made, also was from 1939, although not released in the US until the 1960s. 

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Actress:

Bette Davis, Dark Victory
    Bette Davis, The Old Maid
    Vivien Leigh, Gone With The Wind
    Myrna Loy, The Rains Came
    Ginger Rogers, Bachelor Mother

OTHER ACTRESSES: Irene Dunne, Love Affair; Greta Garbo, Ninotchka; Greer Garson, Goodbye, Mr. Chips; Ingrid Bermgan, Intermezzo: A Love Story; Marlene Dietrich, Destry Rides Again; Ida Lupino, The Light That Failed; Claudette Colbert, Midnight and Drums Along The Mohawk; Ginger Rogers, Fifth Avenue Girl; Claire Trevor, Stagecoach; Carole Lombard, In NMame Only; Shirley Temple, The Little Princess; Ann Sothern, Maisie; Norma Shearer, The Women; Maureen O’Hara, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Jamaica Inn; Alice Faye, Rose Of Washington Square; Bette Davis, The Private Life Of Elizabeth and Essex; Barbara Stanwyck, Union Pacific and Golden Boy; Judy Garland, The Wizard Of Oz and Babes In Arms; Miriam Hopkins, The Old Maid; Jean Arthur, Mr. Smith Goes To Washington; Merle Oberon, Wuthering Heights; Lucille Ball, Five Came Back

Best Supporting Actress:

Bette Davis, Juarez
    Olivia De Havilland, Gone With The Wind
    Margaret Hamilton, The Wizard of Oz
    Hattie McDaniel, Gone With The Wind
    Ona Munson, Gone With The Wind

OTHER ACTRESSES: Geraldine Fitzgerald, Wuthering Heights and Dark Victory; Edna May Oliver, Drums Along The Mohawk; Maira Ouspenskaya, Love Affair; Alice Brady, Young Mr. Lincoln; Verree Teasdale, Fifth Avenue Girl; Kay Francis, In Name Only; Mary Boland, Paulette Goddard, Joan Fontaine, Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell, Virginia Weidler and Phyllis Povah, The Women; Ina Claire, Ninotchka; Greer Garson, Goodbye, Mr. Chips (I think this is the correct category); Louise Platt, Stagecoach; Gladys George, The Roaring Twenties; Billie Burke, Topper Takes A Trip; Mary Astor, Midnight

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Original Screenplay: Bachelor Mother; Fifth Avenue Girl; Five Came Back; Love Affair; and Midnight
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Gone With The Wind; Stagecoach; The Wizard Of Oz; The Women; and Wuthering Heights
    Best Cinematography (b/w): Only Angels Have Wings; The Rains Came; Stagecoach; Wuthering Heights; and Young Mr. Lincoln
    Best Cinematography (color): Drums Along the Mohawk; The Four Feathers; Gone With The Wind; Jesse James; and The Wizard Of Oz
    Best Art Direction – Set Decoration (b/w): Gunga Din; The Hunchback Of Notre Dame; Mr. Smith Goes To Washington; The Rains Came; and The Women
    Best Art Direction – Set Decoration (color): Drums Along the Mohawk; The Four Feathers; Gone With The Wind; Jesse James; and The Wizard Of Oz
    Best Film Editing: Beau Geste; Gone With The Wind; The Rains Came; Stagecoach; and The Wizard Of Oz
    Best Sound Recording: Gone With The Wind; Gunga Din; The Rains Came; Stagecoach; and The Wizard Of Oz
    Best Score (drama or comedy): Dark Victory; Gone With The Wind; Stagecoach; Wuthering Heights; and Young Mr. Lincoln
    Best Scoring (musical): Babes In Arms; First Love; The Great Victor Herbert; The Story Of Vernon and Irene Castle; and The Wizard Of Oz
    Best Song: “Ding! Dong! The Witch Is Dead”, “If I Only Had a…”; “If I Were King Of The Forest”, “Over The Rainbow” and “We’re Off To See The Wizard”, The Wizard Of Oz
    Best Costume Design (b/w): Goodbye, Mr. Chips; Juarez; Midnight; The Old Maid; and The Women
    Best Costume Design (color): Drums Along The Mohawk; Gone With The Wind; The Little Princess; The Private Lifves Of Elizabeth and Essex; and The Wizard Of Oz
    Best Visual Effects: Gone With The Wind; Gunga Din; Only Angels Have Wings; The Rains Came; and The Wizard Of Oz

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

And now, my list of winners:

Best Picture: Gone With The Wind (albeit I do find it racist, the prodoction is extraordinary)
    Best Actor: James Stewart, Mr. Smith Goes To Washington (only because, as good as he is, Clark Gable needed to speak with a southern accent)
    Best Actress: Vivien Leigh, Gone With The Wind (truly one of the greatest screen performances of all time; Bette Davis, however, was the actress of the year, with 4 extraordinary performances)
    Best Supporting Actor: Bert Lahr, The Wizard Of Oz
    Best Supporting Actress: Margaret Hamilton, The Wizard Of Oz
    Best Director: John Ford, Stagecoach
    Best Original Screenplay: Midnight
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Stagecoach (GWTW was written “by committee” imo)
    Best Cinematography (b/w): Young Mr. Lincoln
    Best Cinematography (color): Gone With The Wind
    Best Art Direction – Set Decoration (b/w): The Rains Came
    Best Art Direction – Set Decoration (color): Gone With The Wind
    Best Film Editing: Gone With The Wind
    Best Sound Recording: Gone With The Wind
    Best Score (drama or comedy): Gone With The Wind
    Best Soring (musical): The Wizard Of Oz
    Best Original Song: “Over The Rainbow”, The Wizard Of Oz
    Best Costume Design (b/w): The Women
    Best Costume Design (color): Gone With The Wind
    Best Visual Effects: The Rains Came

ReplyCopy URL
    Troy
    Topics:

Margaret Hamilton should have won the Oscar.   Such an iconic and frightening performance!

The fact that she was not even nominated is still total bullsh!t. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Apart from its racism, all of GWtW seems created by committee, as it was. It lacks a directorial voice. Victor Fleming was credited as director of both it and Wizard of Oz, but both films had multiple directors. GWtW in particular feels like it. George Cukor started it (critical in the pre-production work, then the initial scenes; he supposedly then coached Vivian Leigh nightly over her performance after he was fired), Sam Wood, William Cameron Menzies and Selznick himself directed sizable chunks of the film.

I haven’t seen it in many years (seen it 3 times overall) and frankly I remember very little about the film – it always seemed, contrary to its response from most people, very forgettable cinematically.

Needless to say, I don’t think it ranks anywhere close to the top 10 films of 1939, let alone best. It ranks for me in the middle of best picture winners – it has some real merit certainly. But it a producer’s film, and like most of those whose vision is a businessman’s, not an artist’s, it lacks the core elements of greatness for me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Franz Hoellering wrote in his review for The Nation that GWtW is ‘a major event in the history of the industry but only a minor achievement in motion-picture art. There are moments when the two categories meet on good terms, but the long stretches between are filled with mere spectacular efficiency.’ I don’t disagree with this, and it’s clear that the producer was the true auteur here, but I still consider it a great film. It’s historical importance is undeniable, the production values and ‘storybook’ imagery so memorable, and the melodrama so beautifully written and performed that it’s just irresistable. Despite the stereotyped depictions of slavery (and Hattie McDaniel was able to transcend this).

The Rules of the Game was of course ineligible for Oscars even if it hadn’t inspired a Rite of Spring-type riot in the cinema, but yes it’s the best film of 1939 and among the greatest of all time, as if that needed repeating. What often doesn’t get mentioned is that it’s one of the most entertaining. It’s bleak satire, sure, but I laugh more during this film than almost any other. And Marcel Dalio is sublime, among the greatest screen perfs ever. Deft, poignant and with immaculate comic timing and nuance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Intestacy
    Participant
    Topics:

Picture:  Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
     (Gone with the Wind, Stagecoach, The Wizard of Oz, Young Mr. Lincoln)

Actor:Jimmy Stewart (Mr. Smith Goes to Washington)
    (Henry Fonda as Lincoln, Clark Gable as Rhett Butler, Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes, and John Wayne)

Actress:  Judy Garland (The Wizard of Oz)
    (Irene Dunne, Greta Garbo, Bonita Granville as Nancy Drew, Vivien Leigh as Scarlett OHara)

Supporting Actor:  Bela Lugosi as Ygor (Son of Frankenstein)

Supporting Actress: the Academy got it right 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Margaret Hamilton should have won the Oscar.   Such an iconic and frightening performance!

The fact that she was not even nominated is still total bullsh!t

This. But isnt she somewhat of a woose?  If a little water can take her down…

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

And now, my list of winners:

Best Picture: Gone With The Wind (albeit I do find it racist, the prodoction is extraordinary)
    Best Actor: James Stewart, Mr. Smith Goes To Washington (only because, as good as he is, Clark Gable needed to speak with a southern accent)
    Best Actress: Vivien Leigh, Gone With The Wind (truly one of the greatest screen performances of all time; Bette Davis, however, was the actress of the year, with 4 extraordinary performances)
    Best Supporting Actor: Bert Lahr, The Wizard Of Oz
    Best Supporting Actress: Margaret Hamilton, The Wizard Of Oz
    Best Director: John Ford, Stagecoach
    Best Original Screenplay: Midnight
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Stagecoach (GWTW was written “by committee” imo)
    Best Cinematography (b/w): Young Mr. Lincoln
    Best Cinematography (color): Gone With The Wind
    Best Art Direction – Set Decoration (b/w): The Rains Came
    Best Art Direction – Set Decoration (color): Gone With The Wind
    Best Film Editing: Gone With The Wind
    Best Sound Recording: Gone With The Wind
    Best Score (drama or comedy): Gone With The Wind
    Best Soring (musical): The Wizard Of Oz
    Best Original Song: “Over The Rainbow”, The Wizard Of Oz
    Best Costume Design (b/w): The Women
    Best Costume Design (color): Gone With The Wind
    Best Visual Effects: The Rains Came

That screenplay is word for word from Mitchell’s novel, with some character deletions. I can only imagine the censorship screenwriters often lived with. But in Mitchell’s case, well…..interesting perspective she has….I agree with those who say it’s an important film, historically, and in the annals of film making.

ReplyCopy URL
    darthvader12
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture: Gone With the Wind

Best Director: Victor Fleming, Gone With the Wind

Best Actor: Clark Gable, Gone With the Wind

Best Actress: Vivien Leigh, Gone With the Wind

Best Supporting Actor: Thomas Mitchell, Stagecoach

Best Supporting Actress: Hattie McDaniel, Gone With the Wind

Best Original Screenplay: Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Best Adapted Screenplay: Gone With the Wind

Best Story: Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Best Live Action Short – One-Reel: Busy Little Bears

Best Live Action Short – Two-Reel: Sons of Liberty

Best Animated Short: The Ugly Duckling

Best Score: Stagecoach

Best Original Score: The Wizard of Oz

Best Original Song: “Over the Rainbow”, The Wizard of Oz

Best Sound Recording: Gone With the Wind

Best Art Direction: Gone With the Wind

Best Cinematography – Black and White: Wuthering Heights

Best Cinematography – Color: Gone With the Wind

Best Film Editing: Gone With the Wind

Best Special Effects: The Wizard of Oz

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

“The Wizard of Oz” for the sweep, with only a couple of statues for “Gone with the Wind” (one for McDaniel for sure).

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: alternative Oscars for 1939

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.