Home Forums Movies AMERICAN FILM INSTITUTE'S TOP 10 OF 2017 ARE…

AMERICAN FILM INSTITUTE'S TOP 10 OF 2017 ARE…

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
Created
1 week ago
Last Reply
5 days ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Teridax
jf123
Andrew D
  • Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

Get Out
    Call Be By Your Name
    The Post
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    The Shape of Water
    Lady Bird
    The Florida Project
    Dunkirk
    The Big Sick
    Wonder Woman

TV coming up before the top of the hour.

Nate
    Participant
    Topics:

Wonder Woman over Mudbound, Phantom Thread, and others is the big surprise. Otherwise, it looks like the lineup is shaping up.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

Wonder Woman over Mudbound, Phantom Thread, and others is the big surprise. Otherwise, it looks like the lineup is shaping up.

Not that much of a surprise. Phantom Thread is there pretty much because this is Daniel Day-Lewis’ retirement performance. Mudbound…the Netflix curse.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

Wonder Woman

YEASSSSS

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by  Andrew D.
    • This reply was modified 6 days, 8 hours ago by  Andrew D.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AndrewsArt

Check out my Store.

ReplyCopy URL
    cinephile_
    Participant
    Topics:

I am very happy with the list sans wonder woman. That film is severely overrated. Also, very suprised but overjoyed for dunkirk to be included in this list, I thought it was ineligible.

I think it’s pretty clear now what the bp nominees are now

ReplyCopy URL
    BrenoLimaMusic
    Participant
    Topics:

I am very happy with the list sans wonder woman. That film is severely overrated. Also, very suprised but overjoyed for dunkirk to be included in this list, I thought it was ineligible. I think it’s pretty clear now what the bp nominees are now

Wonder Woman is in the list tho

ReplyCopy URL
    jf123
    Participant
    Topics:

I am very happy with the list sans wonder woman. That film is severely overrated. Also, very suprised but overjoyed for dunkirk to be included in this list, I thought it was ineligible. I think it’s pretty clear now what the bp nominees are now

Wonder Woman is in the list tho

Yes. That is what he said

Give Paul Thomas Anderson an Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    jf123
    Participant
    Topics:

Wonder Woman

Over Mudbound and even something getting rave reviews like Phantom Thread? What a joke. If you want to nominate a blockbuster, nominate Logan, War for the Planet of the Apes, or Blade Runner 2049.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Wonder Woman ALSO got rave reviews… although I too would have preferred to see Logan make the cut. Heck, why not nominate Baby Driver instead? That movie needs all the support it can get. Coco would definitely be considered a “blockbuster,” Zootopia made the cut last year, and I enjoyed Coco WAAAAYYY more than Zootopia. For me it isn’t that Wonder Woman is undeserving, I will defend its inclusion on AFI infinitely more than a pile of messy garbage like Three Billboards. Wonder Woman was at least solidly scripted and well-acted, which is more than you can say for Three Billboards. You can leave in Wonder Woman, take out Dunkirk (aka soulless generic well-crafted WWII movie 101), The Florida Project (a decent but not masterful or even very memorable film), and Three Billboards (F**k this thing!) and replace them with Logan, Coco, and Baby Driver, and I seriously doubt MOST people would have complained, save for the Nolan stans and the couple Florida Project stans that are out there.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Keep in mind only 7/10 AFI Awards Top 10 Films received BP Oscar nominations earlier this year. The 2 years before that it was only 6/10. The year before those (“12 Years a Slave” year) it went 7/10 again.

Yes, I know the Oscars have had only 8 or 9 BP nominees in those years, just be sure to take these nominees with a grain of salt as Oscar predictors, that’s all.

ReplyCopy URL
    Paul Hardister
    Participant
    Topics:

Like the National Board of Review, it’s not a perfect predictor but I can’t think of a movie that made AFI, National Board of Review & Critics Choice that got a Best Picture snub.

Films that made all three:
    Call Me By Your Name
    Dunkirk
    Florida Project
    Get Out
    Lady Bird
    The Post

ReplyCopy URL
    jf123
    Participant
    Topics:

Wonder Woman ALSO got rave reviews…

Not really, 76 on Metacritic. Same as Guardians of the Galaxy and Civil War, and it was even 2 points less than Iron Man. It was well liked (like most MCU films) but not acclaimed.

And while I hate to sound like a braindead Trump supporter, lets not pretend like it would still be in there if it was about a male superhero with a male director.

ReplyCopy URL
    Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

While I’m not crazy about either of them, Wonder Woman is way better than Dunkirk.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Like the National Board of Review, it’s not a perfect predictor but I can’t think of a movie that made AFI, National Board of Review & Critics Choice that got a Best Picture snub.

Sully just last year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sagand
    Participant
    Topics:

Sully just last year.

And going further back in era of expanded lineups: Nightcrawler, Unbroken, Inside Llewyn Davis, Saving Mr Banks, The Town. It’s not that uncommon, but neither is a year where none of them miss. I’d think The Florida Project is the only one in danger, but ultimately has the passion.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
Reply To: AMERICAN FILM INSTITUTE'S TOP 10 OF 2017 ARE…

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.