Baby Driver Thread

Home // Forums // Movies // Baby Driver Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Had a quick look and I don’t think there is a thread for this.

AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

The trailer has finally dropped and looks insane.

https://youtu.be/byb2eJ_lLes

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Baby Driver Poster

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  AMG.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  AMG.
    ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

And the first reactions are pretty impressive from SXSW.

Eric Kohn: If you thought LA LA LAND rejuvenated the movie musical, wait until BABY DRIVER, which is like Busby Berkeley’s GRAND THEFT AUTO.

Jen Yamato: BABY DRIVER is everything I never knew I needed. SXSW  audience losing their minds for it and it earns every bit of the love. Elgort is great. Hamm is great. Spacey is great. Foxx is great. James is great. Already loved BABY DRIVER *before* the ATL Twins cameo

Mark Olsen: Edgar Wright’s BABY DRIVER really is like nothing else, a gangster heist romance car musical. Energy at #sxsw  premiere just through the roof

Kristy Puchko: Baby Driver is a wild ride and a hell of a good time. Drive + La La Land – pretension = Baby Driver

Devindra Hardawar: Baby Driver is exactly what you’d imagine an Edgar Wright Fast & Furious to be. A pure blast. And if you’re a fan of Edgar Wright’s long takes and music choices, Baby Driver will basically be your crack. Like a musical chase film

Neil Miller: BABY DRIVER: it’s both the most and best Edgar Wright film. It’s a flat-out brilliant, rip-roaring action musical. Loved it.

Erik Davis: BABY DRIVER is fantastic, an adrenaline fueled music-driven gem that gets faster & greater as it rides. The last quarter is tremendous

Eric Vespe: Baby Driver is fuckin’ awesome. Edgar Wright made his own version of a movie musical except the choreography is car stunts and violence.

Jasonosia: BABY DRIVER: Lots and I mean LOTS to love, yet frustratingly imperfect. Character motivations & intelligence vanish towards a sour end. Wright once again refreshingly deconstructs movie musical numbers, and reconfigures thru these extremely spectacularly crafted getaway chases

Scott Mantz: BABY DRIVER: A really fun, kick-ass, wild ride! Edgar Wright fans will go crazy! Awesome cast, amazing soundtrack, great car chases!  

Harry Knowles: Edgar Wright’s BABY DRIVER is a film that matches the pulse of the best day you’ve ever lived! Incredible

Marlow Stern: Jon Hamm gives far and away his best film performance in Edgar Wright’s ‘Baby Driver,’ which is pretty damn fun

Will Goss: Baby Driver: I’ll let you know how immensely I enjoyed Edgar Wright’s latest once the ringing in my ears stops.

Matt Dentler: BABY DRIVER is essentially a jukebox musical by way of Steve McQueen. BABY DRIVER is also a reminder that Edgar Wright is one of the most refreshing directors working today.

Jason Bailey: BABY DRIVER is all flash, which is a bit of a step backwards in EW’s evolution after THE WORLD’S END. But it is mighty good flash.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Ansel Elgort? Ummm….

Other than that this looks interesting.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Ansel Elgort? Ummm….

Other than that this looks interesting.

Elgort is actually getting very good notices from the few full reviews I’ve seen.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Hopefully it’s better than his Fault in Our Stars performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Hopefully it’s all better than The Fault In Our Stars. Bit of a wasted opportunity of a film that never lived up as a whole to the potential of the sum of its parts.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Hopefully it’s all better than The Fault In Our Stars. Bit of a wasted opportunity of a film that never lived up as a whole to the potential of the sum of its parts.

hated the book. I usually dislike all of John Green’s gimmicky novels, but this one was the worst. The movie was a tad bit better but not that much away from a Sparks movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m probably going to see this because of Hamm and Spacey. It sounds interesting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Noé
    Participant
    Topics:

This looks like a lot of fun in a very Edgar Wright way! The critics are hyping it right; I don’t know what they mean but sure I want to find out. I’m already loving that his name is Baby and how stupid everyone sound when they say it.

I hope this push Jon Hamm to finally become a thing in movies. Please! Also I’m surprised about the size of the role of Eiza González. I thought it would be tiny but I’m happy it’s not.

Ansel Elgort. Ugh. UGH. U G H.

ReplyCopy URL
    Noé
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Freddie Highmore would have been a more interesting casting for Baby.

Timothée Chalamet, Alfred Enoch, Nat Wolff, Dylan Minnette, Nicholas Hoult, Callum Turner, Logan Lerman, Shameik Moore, Tye Sheridan, Emory Cohen, Dylan O’Brien…

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I wonder if the movie could do anything awards wise since it’s getting such great reviews. Maybe screenplay?

ReplyCopy URL
    Noé
    Participant
    Topics:

It doesn’t look awards friendly at all (and it shouldn’t be either). And of all the things those few early reviews are praising, the screenplay is not one of them. One even called it “all flash”.

Great reviews does not have to equal awards recognition.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Saw this film last night. I LOVED it.

Ansel Elgort is FANTASTIC in the lead role as Baby! So charming and smooth but not in a cocky or hammy way, it is a real star making turn from him. It is that for Lily James as well. She owns her scenes, and the two of them together are dynamite. The laundrette scene just simmers with the perfect mix of passion and love.

The supporting cast are all terrific too. There is no single weak link. Hamm is my favourite of the bunch, just for going relatively against type – a big step up from the douchebag role in Bridesmaids. Kevin Spacey is great as the ringmaster of the group, balancing his menace with his genuine admiration for Baby.

The script is lean, whip smart, full of mini Easter eggs which are a real treat for viewers. His direction of the action scenes are a real crowd pleaser, it never becomes stale, unlike other films with car chases and heists at their core. Wrights direction, story and his actors always make it feel fresh.

The soundtrack is just full on genius. It never feels gimmicky, every song fits every scene and shot – there isn’t a musical note out of place.

I cannot recommend this film enough. It isn’t an awards friendly film – but that says more about awards bodies than it does about this film. It is my clear favourite of the year so far – 5 Stars (First of the year from me!).

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
Reply To: Baby Driver Thread

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.