Home Forums Movies BAFTA Film Awards 2018 Predictions

BAFTA Film Awards 2018 Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 376 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
24 mins ago
( +6 hidden )
replies
views
users
forwardswill
Philip
alaska789
  • Sasha
    Participant
    Topics:

Paddington 2 for Best British Film , surely you jest ?
    Bafta voters have higher tastes than that ……I don’t know who the hell you were talking to , or if they were even sober

You’re so fucked up. Paddington 2 is better than the whole BP line-up combined. What do you have against it you twat?

ReplyCopy URL
    PerksofBeingGriff
    Participant
    Topics:

Paddington 2 for Best British Film , surely you jest ? Bafta voters have higher tastes than that ……I don’t know who the hell you were talking to , or if they were even sober

You’re so fucked up. Paddington 2 is better than the whole BP line-up combined. What do you have against it you twat?

Most people who talk bad about Paddington make it so obvious they haven’t seen it. That movie is a near masterpiece. If Paddington was able to come out on Thanksgiving, (which wouldn’t have been possible because Disney owns that spot), I guarentee it would have 2-4 Oscar nominations.

Paddington is like Babe.

“Someone is staring at you in ‘Personal Growth’.”

ReplyCopy URL
    alaska789
    Participant
    Topics:

Movies for morons I presume ? You’re more dense than a Black Hole ; light couldn’t possibly escape from your locality

ReplyCopy URL
    PerksofBeingGriff
    Participant
    Topics:

Movies for morons I presume ? You’re more dense than a Black Hole ; light couldn’t possibly escape from your locality

Chilling.

I really hope that Sally Hawkins just surprised and wins at the BAFTAs. That would be so nice, and then I’d probably closer to the Oscars predict Hawkins.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

How are people feeling about Visual Effects? Before you say anything about how much BAFTA liked Blade Runner 2049, note that the film that won Visual Effects last year was the only one without another BAFTA nomination.

BAFTA awarded The Force Awakens over Ex Machina, which suggests that they like worlds (Blade Runner 2049) over motion-capture performances (War for the Planet of the Apes), but if they like Star Wars-y stuff, maybe they just go with, you know, Star Wars. Rogue One lost last year, but given how much better The Last Jedi has done in nominations, it seems like that one was not really considered a proper Star Wars. VES and Critics’ Choice keep awarding the Planet of the Apes movies; who is to say that BAFTA does not keep awarding the Star Wars movies?

I do think that War for the Planet of the Apes is winning the Oscar though and four of five years that the whole British Academy has voted on this category, they have matched up with the Oscars. But it does seem significant how much more BAFTA responded to Blade Runner 2049, especially compared to War for the Planet of the Apes. The latter only grossed $1.5 million more than the former in the United Kingdom, compared to a $55 million discrepancy in the United States. We often see these discrepancies in taste reflected in the winners. (Should note that this Planet of the Apes was way off from the last two in both territories.)

Something that concerns me about Blade Runner 2049 is that it is not a populist movie. I can see how it appealed to certain British Academy members (across the branches), but can it achieve an overall consensus to win (beyond Roger Deakins). Consider how Nocturnal Animals got even more nominations, including Director but not Picture, then could not win anything. Maybe Carol is another.

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

I think I have Blade Runner winning VFX. It’s purely between BR2049 and Planet of the Apes. I think POTA has a lot of passionate fans for both baftas and Oscars but I don’t know if that many people really care if the series wins an Oscar/bafta or not.

ReplyCopy URL
    PerksofBeingGriff
    Participant
    Topics:

I think I have Blade Runner winning VFX. It’s purely between BR2049 and Planet of the Apes. I think POTA has a lot of passionate fans for both baftas and Oscars but I don’t know if that many people really care if the series wins an Oscar/bafta or not.

I just don’t think the Oscars will reward Planet of the Apes ever for visual effects. It’s always labeled a front runner, but then loses.

ReplyCopy URL
    PJ Edwards
    Participant
    Topics:

Planet of the Apes is such a pundit bubble prediction.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Planet of the Apes is such a pundit bubble prediction.

You took the words out of my mouth PJ. I fell down the rabbit hole predicting Dawn at the Oscars. I won’t get fooled again. Blade Runner 2049 will win the Oscar, don’t overthink it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Dana S.
    Participant
    Topics:

I want Chalamet to win.

I doubt that could happen, with Oldman being a Brit legend with no BAFTA award.

Has Oldman really never won a BAFTA before? That doesn’t even feel possible.

He never won an acting BAFTA before, yes. He was nominated, but didn’t win. He did win 2 BAFTAs, but they were for Best British Film and for Screenplay, not for acting. He directed and wrote a movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sally Carter
    Participant
    Topics:

I want Chalamet to win.

I doubt that could happen, with Oldman being a Brit legend with no BAFTA award.

Has Oldman really never won a BAFTA before? That doesn’t even feel possible.

No. He never won any acting BAFTA. He won two BAFTA awards for movie making.

ReplyCopy URL
    jez89
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Actress at BAFTA is a tough one. They may go with Hawkins simply because she is British, has built up a decent resume (Blue Jasmine, Happy-Go-Lucky etc) and is in a leading Best Picture contender. McDormand happens to be in the other leading Best Picture contender, is on her fourth nomination at BAFTA and has never won there. They may see it as an opportunity to honour one of America’s most respected actresses. Really hard to call this.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

@jez89 I’m predicting McDormand at the moment, but it’s definitely tough to call for all the reasons you stated.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Three Billboards should do well because it’s the British cinematic dream: go to America and tell American stories according to their vision of the US. I assume they would like to support this “domination”. I was thinking Actress, Supporting Actor, Screenplay, British Film. But why not Best Picture too? Are Darkest Hour and Dunkirk likely to split the same voting bloc?

ReplyCopy URL
    Sasha
    Participant
    Topics:

Poor Sally Hawkins. She can’t win even in her own country. It’s such a shame what BAFTA has become. Fucking sheep sucking on America’s cock .

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 376 total)
Reply To: BAFTA Film Awards 2018 Predictions

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.