Beatriz at Dinner (Arteta/2017)

Home // Forums // Movies // Beatriz at Dinner (Arteta/2017)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
  • Logan
    Participant
    Topics:

Scrolled back several pages and I couldn’t find a thread. Opened in limited last weekend to solid business and a great LA Times review by Justin Chang.

It’s being sold as a dark comedy but it actually goes in more surprising directions. Hayek, Lithgow and the screenplay all possible for some further attention ahead.

AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Decent film. Selma Hayek is the best thing about the film. It takes it to one level, and then never really goes anywhere else for me.

It is very much a dark comedy, at times it goes a little too over the top because the film in itself doesn’t know how to carry on at one point.

John Lithgow is decent, but I don’t imagine him getting any serious traction unless Supporting Actor is very weak this year.

It’s quirky enough to potentially do a ‘The Lobster’ and nab a screenplay Oscar nod, but that is all I’d even slightly consider it getting Oscar nods wise.

ReplyCopy URL
    theproblemdog
    Participant
    Topics:

Haven’t seen the film, but on paper it seems like a nom in the making for Salma Hayek, doesn’t it? The oscars love a bombshell de-glamed. Even if she doesn’t get a lot attention from the critics’ awards, she could definitely pick up a Globe nom if classified as a comedy and build momentum from there. Recognizing her also seems like a better way of making a stand against our current political/cultural state—by nominating a celebrated Mexican star for a role in which she sticks it to the privileged whites that represent the president’s worldview—than unleashing more Meryl-esque tirades on the masses from the self-righteous mouths of Hollywood elites. Actions speak louder than words, Academy.

ReplyCopy URL
    superb
    Participant
    Topics:

Hollywood elites. Actions speak louder than words, Academy.

I’m salivating at the thought of a Salma speech ala Meryl woo. Im watching it on Thursday night. Who are the other GG com/mus options so far??

emma Watson? michelle Williams? three billboards star? who else>

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Beatriz at Dinner (Arteta/2017)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.