Home Forums Movies Best Actor 1975

Best Actor 1975

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • keithw
    Topics:

Just watched “The Man in the Glass Booth” starring Maximillian Schell who received an Oscar nomination as Best Actor.The other nominees that year were:

Al Pacino in “Dog Day Afternoon”

Walter Matthau in “The Sunshine Boys”

James whitmore in “Give ‘Em Hell Harry”

and, the winner, Jack Nicholson in “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”

I know Nicholson was a shoo-in (and deservedly so) but I was very impressed with Schell’s performance.  Schell also earned a Golden Globe nomination as well.  Just wondering who saw Schell’s performance and what your opinions about it are.  I think the rankings for the Oscar might have looked like this: Nicholson, Pacino, Matthau, Schell, Whitmore

Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

I haven’t seen Schell or Whitmore

Pacino and Matthau would have been worthy of the wins though. I think this was one of the players in one of the most confusing chain reactions in Best Actor ever:

1974 – Jack Nicholson should have won instead of Art Carney
    1975 – Al Pacino should’ve won instead of Jack Nicholson
    1992 – Denzel Washington should’ve won instead of Al Pacino 
    2001 – Tom Wilkinson should’ve won instead of Denzel Washington

ReplyCopy URL
    keithw
    Topics:

I don’t think there was any possibility that Nicholson could lose that year.  He was great in his movie and had the overdue factor with nominations for Five Easy Pieces, Easy Rider, The Last Detail and Chinatown.  In fact his is one of my favourite performances by an actor ever.   I was very impressed by Schell though and it took me a long time to find the dvd “The Man in the Glass Booth”.  However, it is not a movie I would care to watch again really like Cuckoo’s Nest is.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve only seen Nicholson and Pacino and I’m not a huge fan of Pacino I find him overrated but he really impressed me in Dog Day Afternoon. But Nicholson was jaw droppingly outstanding. 

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

As I recall at the time, Whitmore was a possible nominee, but Schell’s nomination as Best Actor was a total surprise. Most were expecting a nod for Warren Beatty in Shampoo or Ryan O’Neal in Barry Lyndon.

ReplyCopy URL
    keithw
    Topics:

It is surprising the somewhat obscure Schell and Whitmore got in while Ryan O’Neal was the star of a Best Picture nominee “Barry Lyndon”.

ReplyCopy URL
    marcelo
    Participant
    Topics:

Nicholson won for the best performance by an actor ever. Donald Sutherland deserved a nod for The day of the locust.
    My 5 top:
    Nicholson
    Pacino
    Sutherland
    Mathau
    Beatty 

ReplyCopy URL
    DominicCobb
    Participant
    Topics:

Nicholson of course gives a classic performance but what Pacino did in Dog Day Afternoon is beyond words. He’s just real.

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Did Pacino not like the Oscars? I noticed he only attended the ceremony once in the 70s. (for Serpico) The other four times he didn’t show up.  I bet that hurt his chances. Nicholson always played the game and was there everytime. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Was Ryan O’Neal really considered likely for a nom? Most reviews at the time considered him miscast, and some still do even now. (I don’t have an opinion on this as, rather embarassingly, I haven’t seen Barry Lyndon.)

I personally feel Pacino should’ve won for Godfather II and Nicholson rightly won for Cuckoo’s Nest, but it’s a close call. Nicholson for Chinatown and Pacino for DDA would be perfectly legit. 

James Whitmore’s nomination was an interesting case, as it wasn’t really a film performance – Give ’em Hell, Harry! was a one-man stage play that was filmed and presented in cinemas, and was thus eligible for Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Pacino deserved to had won this one.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Best Actor 1975

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.