Home Forums Movies Best Actor 2012

Best Actor 2012

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

Quite an exceptional category, I would say. But my vote would have to go to Joaquin Phoenix with Bradley Cooper at a close second. Although, I did like the way DDL became Abraham Lincoln was undeniably astounding and I loved how he was able to carry Lincoln (which I didn’t particularly care for). But, I’m all about spreading the wealth. 

How about you, folks? Who would your vote be from this list?

KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Bradley Cooper was my choice with Hugh Jackman as a very close second. Was Daniel Day Lewis good in Lincoln? Of course, he’s Daniel Day Lewis, he’s practicly flawless. But Cooper was in a lot of raunchy comedies before Playbook and really didn’t get a chance to shine his true skills off. What he did in Playbook was amazing. Jackman carried a huge role that is one of the most demanding in musical theater and did it very well. As for the other two, I’m not a big fan of The Master but Phoenix did a good job. I have no idea why Denzel Washington got nominated for Flight. That role could have been played by anyone that’s how much acting went into that role. I wish Anthony Hopkins (Hitchcock), John Hawkes (The Sessions), or Jack Black (Bernie) were nominated instead 

ReplyCopy URL
    Problemchild
    Participant
    Topics:

I haven’t seen The Master, but I loved all the other nominees. DDL’s work was brilliant as usual, but Cooper and Jackman’s performances left a bigger impression on me. They don’t get those chances to show their chops as often as DDL. So my ballot would look something like this:

1. Bradley Cooper

2. Hugh Jackman

3. Daniel Day-Lewis

4. Denzel Washington

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

I’m clearly in the minority, but my vote goes to Denzel Washington. I thought he was fantastic, one of his best performances, if not his best performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Malick
    Topics:

1. Denzel Washington
    2. Joaquin Phoenix
    3. Daniel Day-Lewis
    4. Hugh Jackman
    5. Bradley Cooper (stole John Hawkes nomination)

ReplyCopy URL
    CAROL-CHANNING
    Topics:

I think it’s insanity that Joaquin Phoenix was not the absolute frontrunner from beginning to end.  If only The Master wasn’t so divisive…

That being said, Cooper is a very, very close second.

For some reason, I never see this “magic” that people always refer to when they’re talking about DDL.  Is he a good actor?  Of course. He’s even a great one.  I’d say he totally deserves his first two Oscars.  But I feel like people go a bit overboard with their praise for him.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

Joaquin Phoenix gives one of the greatest film performances in history. He was complex, dark, twisted, charming and very scary. It proves how he is one of the greatest living actors, and the fact that he doesn’t have an Oscar yet is very sad. He needs to win soon, and I wish it were for Inherent Vice 

Hugh Jackman was in a terrible movie, but he was good. I wouldn’t give him the win. Denzel Washington was good, but it wasnt’ an Oscar-worthy performance. Bradley Cooper was amazing in Silver Linings Playbook, but a win so early on would deter him from doing the great work he is now. Daniel Day-Lewis may just be the greatest living actor, but Lincoln was boring and overrated, and it was nothing compared to There Will Be Blood.

01. Joaquin Phoenix
    02. Bradley Cooper
    03. Daniel Day-Lewis
    04. Denzel Washington
    05. Hugh Jackman

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

2012 was one of those rare years the Academy got it right. It’s actually one of my favorite wins of all time. Daniel Day-Lewis was top notch and deserved every award he received for the underrated gem Lincoln.

It made up for that boring winner the year before.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Daniel Day-Lewis – Possibly his best performance imo. Really showed his range and captured a warmth and grace I hadn’t seen from him before.
    2. Denzel Washington – Strong, strong stuff, and demonstrates just how absurdly effortless it is for him to play on that level even if he doesn’t always choose roles as tough as this.
    3. Hugh Jackman – Starts to drop off pretty drastically after Denzel, but Hugh did well at getting just the right balance of cinematic and theatrical for his performance. Not sure the show had to be made into a movie to begin with, but if it did I’m glad he was Valjean. 
    4. Joaquin Phoenix – The processing scene is great, but beyond that it’s just way too affected and tick-y a performance for my tastes.
    5. Bradley Cooper – I get why he was nominated, and I don’t object too strongly. Still, kind of a shame he had to get in over much more interesting work.

My own lineup would be:
    Denis Lavant in Holy Motors
    Jean-Louis Trintignant in Amour
    Daniel Day-Lewis in Lincoln
    Thure Lindhardt in Keep the Lights On 
     Logan Lerman in The Perks of Being a Wallflower

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

5. Denzel Washington
    4. Bradley Cooper
    3. Daniel Day-Lewis
    2. Hught Jackman
    1. Joaquin Phoenix

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Phoenix / Washington / Day-Lewis / Cooper / Jackman

The last three would be deleted from my personal list for the husband in Amour, the lead in Holy Motors, and John Hawkes for The Sessions.

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Phoenix

2. Day Lewis
    3. Jackman
    4. Cooper
    5. Washington

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Joaquin Phoenix gave one of the most original and distinctive performances in recent years, but I still think I have to go with Daniel Day-Lewis. His performance is a brilliant combination of classical and method acting, and he does wonders with the demanding dialogue (and so does Tommy Lee Jones). Bradley Cooper had the right balance of energy and restraint in SLP, without lapsing into sentimentality where it might seem tempting. Denzel Washington was strong but not altogether surprising until near the end of Flight, while I found Jackman to be a near-disaster in Les Mis; his voice is often nasal and whiny, with an awful wobbly vibrato, and in a musical like this singing and acting are not separable to the extent that would allow him to get away with it. It doesn’t help that his character becomes more and more boring as the film progresses.

ReplyCopy URL
    marcelo
    Participant
    Topics:

Trintignant should have won for Amour. Wonderful performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    CAROL-CHANNING
    Topics:

I completely agree that Trintignant should have been in this race.  He was terrific.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Reply To: Best Actor 2012

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.