Best Actor 2013 Thread (Part 5)

Home // Forums // Movies // Best Actor 2013 Thread (Part 5)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 500 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

Continue the discussion here. 

TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t wanna brag but I always said that McConaughey was a real threat to win the oscar and I remember very clearly that A LOT of people here laughed at me while fapping over Chiwetel Ejiofor. Well look at how things turned around now…

Same thing with DiCaprio. Me and Macbeth said that he WOULD be nominated and possibly over Redford and we were called fanboys. Just wanted to say this because there’s a lack of humble people around here.

ReplyCopy URL
    drenja
    Participant
    Topics:

For me also Redford was week from begining i just didnt know is he going to be edged by Bale or Leo. I picked Leo and even though Bale is great actor he should not be in this line up not insted of Hanks. 

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Leo is going to win this one I think. I cannot get past no Hanks for “Captain Phillips” though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

I might be in the minority on this one, but in Tom Hanks’ performance in Captain Phillips is a solid performance, for the most part. He’s great in the last two scenes, but he’s not as great as everybody says. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Leonardo
    Topics:

I saw DiCaprio and he completely won me over, that’s a tour-de-force performance, he carries THE WOLF OF WALL STREET and is his finest work in a long time, although odds are not in favor, I’d really love to see him winning, he’s just stunning and the film overall is the best I’ve seen out of the 9 nominees for BP, fuck the precursors, just give the Best Actor award to DiCaprio… he really deserves it this year! This said, I think the race looks like this as of now:

1) Ejiofor (still think 12 YEARS will win BP and that will help him, BAFTA will be precursor enough)
    2) McCoughnaugey (only 3/10 years the SAG have matched the Oscar winners, I think he’s the most vulnerable this time)
    3) DiCaprio (god please!)
    4) Bale (enjoyed this a lot! he’s the man…)
    5) Dern (haven’t seen it, but even with Redford out I dont think this will have a lot of support)

ReplyCopy URL
    Jackson Powell
    Participant
    Topics:

Chiwetel’s performance was poetic and heartbreaking. I really hope he pulls an upset

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

I re-watched The Wolf of Wall Street last night and if I had a vote, I would vote for DiCaprio hands down. This is a Oscar-winning performance if there ever was one. He has so many Oscar scenes it’s not even funny. Like I said a few days ago, though, I wouldn’t mind him losing to McConaughey because he is equally deserving for his performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    CAROL-CHANNING
    Topics:

A problem DiCaprio might run into with voters is that his performance really doesn’t become that “showy” until the second half.  The second half of an EXTREMELY long movie.  I could see a lot of voters only sitting through 2 hours or so and saying “I got the gist” and turning it off.  McConaughey is showy throughout.

I would love a DiCaprio win, though.  I thought he was truly remarkable, and I’m someone who is NOT a huge Leo fan.  I find him extremely hit or miss, but this one was a hit.  I think it’s the Quaaludes scene where you really see how good he is.  He really outshines Hill in it.  You see Hill trying to be funny, but not pulling it of nearly as well as Leo.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

If DiCaprio wins (and I think he will), my Scorsese Theory will have been true:

Scorsese has a small group of regular collaborators, and the top ones have both won. Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci were both in Scorsese films, got nominated but didn’t win, but then a few years later on their next nomination for a Scorsese film, they won.
    DiCaprio only has one nomination for a Scorsese film so far, so if he wins for The Wolf of Wall Street, this trend with continue

I really hope Leo wins. He’s supremely talented and one of the best actors around today. However, if McConaughey wins, I won’t be unhappy because he has had the career-turnaround to end all career-turnarounds. An upset by Bruce Dern would be a nice shock.

Chiwetel Ejiofor was great in 12 Years a Slave, but it wasn’t close to being the best leading male performance of the year. We had Daniel Day-Lewis with his intense historical performance last year, so could we please get a break of sorts and have someone fun or different win (just like how Jeff Bridges won after Sean Penn’s intense performance and Jean Dujardin after Colin Firth – almost a trend) 

ReplyCopy URL
    endaugust
    Participant
    Topics:

Leo will have to win BAFTA to have a chance.  Otherwise, it’s Matthew at the Oscars, unfortunately.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jackson Powell
    Participant
    Topics:

Man I hope they award Chiwetel.  he truly deserves.  sublime acting in 12YAS

I’m not here for giving Matthew the Oscar because he’s been in the game for a while…..and he now making good films.  I felt like Matthew was playing himself.  Chiwetel was simple better in every way.  Nothing Matthew did beats the last shot of Chiwetel leaving

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

^Matthew was playing himself? Um, alright…

ReplyCopy URL
    Jason Travis
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel a surge and buzz for Leonardo DiCaprio. I can see it, picture it- happening. McConaughey would be a great winner too, as would Ejiofor (still haven’t seen Nebraska, waiting)- but I think DiCaprio is the wildcard that could take this. 

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    13K Subscribers, 29 Million Views

FYC: Derbyite of the Year, 2017

ReplyCopy URL
    filmkr27
    Participant
    Topics:

It is so incredibly frustrating if Leonardo dicaprio does not win for what is clearly without question THE performance of the year. It’s like every year that leo is even nominated they are supposed to give it to someone else– Jamie fox, forest Whittaker and tommy lee jones. He has been a part of oscar winning films in titanic and the departed. I mean I don’t need to list Leo’s credits but come on– inception, shutter island, blood diamond, what’s eating Gilbert grape, the aviator…. And he is expected to lose to first time nominees? Don’t get me wrong, I love matthew mcconaughey but Leonardo deserves it this year.

If every academy member looks at each and every performance, I don’t see how Leonardo could lose.

Even spike jonze at the producers guild, when asked what his favorite scene from HER was– he said he loved the quallude scene in wolf of Wall Street.

Leonardo dicaprio is the best actor.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 500 total)
Reply To: Best Actor 2013 Thread (Part 5)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.