Home Forums Movies Best Actor 2018

Best Actor 2018

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Andrew D
Honey
LaChienne
  • Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

Whos a front runner this early on ? does anyone have an insider info or predictions on who will be in the running for Best actor next year?

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AndrewsArt

Check out my Store.

Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

Do we think Tom Hanks has a chance to win a third Oscar for the new Stephen Spielberg movie ?

Check out my Store.

ReplyCopy URL
    SayMyName
    Participant
    Topics:

Do we think Tom Hanks has a chance to win a third Oscar for the new Stephen Spielberg movie ?

It’s so tricky with Hanks. He was a sure bet for Captain Phillips. Snubbed. Same year, a very fun supporting performance in Saving Mr. Banks. Snubbed. He had a BP-nominated well-liked film in weak year of leading actors for Bridge of Spies. Snubbed. Sully did good at the box office and was critically liked. Snubbed.

He is not as popular anymore, which is quite sad, because he was deserving for Captain Phillips and even Sully.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

He’s very much popular. He’s Tom Fucking Hanks.

The problem is that his only worthy nomination lately has been Captain Phillips. Saving Mr Banks underwhelmed and only Emma Thompson managed to get nominated everywhere…except at the Oscars. If that happened to her, imagine how far from that nomination Hanks was. And he had Captain Phillips as his 2013 real horse in the race, it didn’t happen, he was snubbed. But there was no rush anywhere to nominate him for SMB, so that wasn’t a snub at all.

For Bridge of Spies he was hardly in the conversation at all. So how is it a snub? The very lame Sully left the race very early for Hanks to be called a “snub” now.

This whole thing about him being snubbed and articles about him being underappreciated in recent years, will put him back in the race for this Spielberg movie (plus the whole combo of people working on it). And if it’s a hit, both commercially and critically, then it will only help him out because the press, bloggers have now cemented this idea and storyline that he’s apparently underappreciated which of course will translate to being overdue (yes, a two time consecutive winner). And like Streep with Iron Lady (almost 30 years since her last win), the fact that it’s been 17 years since his last nomination and 22 since his last win will make matters worse (if he’s undeserving) or be the another point in favor of his campaign.

But again, this performance needs to be H U G E, and the film at least “great”, for it to happen for him.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

yea i agree he has been underwhelming ( for him ) which is still enjoyable and very well done in recent years and would enjoy him to have a CP type performance and get another nomination. he is Tom Fucking Hanks 🙂 he needs another Oscar 🙂

Check out my Store.

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

Think the general consensus is this seems to be the lineup as of now based on name and project expectations.

Gary Oldman – Darkest Hour

DDL- PTA film

Jackman – Greatest Showman

1-2 Call Me By Your Name (Timothee/Armie)

Matt Damon – Downsizing

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

I would enjoy seeing Gary Oldman get nominated for good role, i am in the minority but i hated Tinker Tailor.

Check out my Store.

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah it’s being directed by Joe Wright. I haven’t liked any of his film except Atonement. Hopefully it’s more like Atonement and less like Pan and Hanna. Watch Keira Knightley have a surprise cameo in this lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    LaChienne
    Participant
    Topics:

I would enjoy seeing Gary Oldman get nominated for good role, i am in the minority but i hated Tinker Tailor.

Tinker Tailor was a pretty faithful adaptation… which was part of the problem because they’re really not the kind of books you enjoy and they’re so dense with “real” spy work that doesn’t exactly make for interesting film (or even reading). But he was absolutely committed to that part, he was a 100% accurate portrayal of the character and a 180 from his usual ham. Way better than Jean Dujardin.

ReplyCopy URL
    LaChienne
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah it sucks because I loved Joe Wright doing Pride and Prejudice and Atonement (two legitimately incredible adaptations) but he did go off the deep end a bit, that Anna Karenina adaptation was just awful, especially the WTF casting aside from maybe Jude Law (and to think Saoirse Ronan was supposed to be in it too lmao, she can show up in TDH too).

I really liked his episode of Black Mirror though. When he’s good he’s amazing. There’s still hope that he can redeem himself. Hopefully…

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

Tinker Tailor was a pretty faithful adaptation… which was part of the problem because they’re really not the kind of books you enjoy and they’re so dense with “real” spy work that doesn’t exactly make for interesting film (or even reading). But he was absolutely committed to that part, he was a 100% accurate portrayal of the character and a 180 from his usual ham. Way better than Jean Dujardin.

yea it seemed like it was praised for being a faithful adapation but i had not read the novel and simply found the movie to be boring. but yeah i think anyone should have won over Jean .

Check out my Store.

ReplyCopy URL
    Aint2Proud2Beg
    Participant
    Topics:

Whos a front runner this early on ?

Gary Oldman.

ReplyCopy URL
    distain
    Participant
    Topics:

Gary Oldman I guess for overdue veteran status and baitiness/transformation of the role.

But truthfully, nobody wants to be considered THE frontrunner this early, especially when nobody has seen your film. On occassion it works out, especially if the Academy already love you (ie Daniel Day-Lewis in Lincoln)….but very often, you end up being Liam Neeson in Silence.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

Gary Oldman I guess for overdue veteran status and baitiness/transformation of the role.

But truthfully, nobody wants to be considered THE frontrunner this early, especially when nobody has seen your film. On occassion it works out, especially if the Academy already love you (ie Daniel Day-Lewis in Lincoln)….but very often, you end up being Liam Neeson in Silence.

Sweet baby Jesus Slience was not good. lol

Check out my Store.

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d rather be a front runner than a non-factor lol.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
Reply To: Best Actor 2018

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.