Home Forums Movies Best Actor #3 2014

Best Actor #3 2014

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 403 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s continue…..

drenja
    Participant
    Topics:

I want to see what happens at SAG and Globes and then i will make my logical predictions. At this point i think that its Keatons to lose cause “Birdman” is going to get much more overall support then “Theory of Everything”. As for nominations im pretty much going safe 
    with Keaton, Redmayne, Oyelow, Cumberbatch and Spall. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Actriz
    Participant
    Topics:

Steve Carell, Foxcatcher
    * Benedict Cumberbatch, The Imitation Game
    Michael Keaton, Birdman
    David Oyelowo, Selma
    Eddie Redmayne, The Theory of Everything

I’d say Carell and Redmayne, both of whom seem to have their buzz fading, are the most vulnerable. Carell’s film apparently has received a cool response from Academy members, and it’s true that Redmayne’s performance is similar to ones that have been “shockingly snubbed” in the past.

If one of them misses out I could see Ralph Fiennes becoming a serious contender for that last slot after his and the film’s appearances across the critics circuit (talk about a resurgeance of buzz!). I’d also like to see Gyllenhaal nominated but the odds of that are getting lower each day. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Kristen Boyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Damn the nominations for best actor today from SAG were great! I definitely this Oyelowo will make it in, but who will he replace? Sadly it will probably be Gyllenhaal which is a shame because he deserves it. I could see Spall making it in the Oscar lineup too. 

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

Locks:
    Michael Keaton in Birdman
    Eddie Redmayne in The Theory of Everything

Strong Bets:
    Benedict Cumberbatch in The Imitation Game
    David Oyelowo in Selma

Trying to Squeeze In:
    Steve Carell in Foxcatcher
    Bradley Cooper in American Sniper
    Jake Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler
    Oscar Isaac in A Most Violent Year
    Jack O’Connell in Unbroken
    Timothy Spall in Mr. Turner 

Contenders In a Fairer World
    Ben Affleck in Gone Girl
    Macon Blair in Blue Ruin
    Chadwick Boseman in Get On Up
    Pierre Deladonchamps in Stranger By the Lake
    Ralph Fiennes in The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Brendan Gleason in Calvary
    Tom Hardy in Locke 
    Philip Seymour Hoffman in A Most Wanted Man
    John Lithgow in Love is Strange
    Matthew McConaughey in Interstellar
    Joaquin Phoenix in Inherent Vice
    Antoine-Olivier Pilon in Mommy 
    Channing Tatum in Foxcatcher
    Miles Teller in Whiplash 
    Gaspard Ulliel in Saint Laurent 

ReplyCopy URL
    anarchy
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m very confident about Keaton, Redmayne, Cumberbatch and Carell now. But loads of contenders are fighting for the 5th spot – Oyelowo, Gyllenhaal, Spall, Fiennes, Cooper, Isaac, etc. I’d still go with Oyelowo despite the SAG upset because of Selma’s buzz being the greatest out of those contenders and the character Oyelowo is playing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

I think Oyelowo or Fiennes will replace Gyllenhaal at the Oscars, but I could see the same SAG line-up repeating. Spall might also still have an excellent chance if the film does well with the art-film crowd there, but Mike Leigh’s films arent’ immune to snubs, as Sally Hawkins and Leslie Manville have shown us in the past, and the lack of a SAG nom does hurt him a bit. He could still get in though, also because of the british bloc (although we already have two brits in the line-up, and he has to worry about Fiennes as well).

ReplyCopy URL
    Leonardo
    Topics:

Oyelowo is most likely replacing Gyllehaal at the Oscars, the other 4 SAG nominees are looking good, but I still wouldn’t be so shocked if Redmayne was snubbed, although he’s for now a safe bet for the nom.

1. Keaton
    2. Cumberbatch
    3. Carell
    4. Redmayne
    5. Oyelowo

Btw I think Timothy Spall’s chances are just not dead yet. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

Gyllenhall might be the most vulnerable of the five, but Carell is no lock yet and certainly not ahead of Redmayne.

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

Gyllenhaal’s nomination was the most shocking yet the most pleasant thing about the SAG noms. He’s stronger than he looks. Also it’s good to see that 2 of the Foxcatcher boys gathered a nom proving (specially in Carell’s case) that their position in the race is not all that vulnerable.

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

I was wrong about Redmayne but I still think Oyelowo is going to get snubbed.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I am hoping my predictions are wrong (Carell, Cumberbatch, Keaton, Oyelowo, and Redmayne) and I would love for Jake Gyllenhaal to repeat his SAG nomination at the Oscars. I also would love to see Ralph Fiennes get in as well. (I haven’t seen Cumberbatch or Oyelowo yet; will be seeing The Imitation Game this weekend). I am hoping I won’t do well in this category here on Gold Derby! (;

While I think Steve Carell has some memorable moments in Foxcatcher, his perfomrance is marred by the script and direction. It’s a technical performance, but it’s not better than what Jake G. and Ralph F. achieve in their performances.

I’ve given up and am predicting that Michael Keaton’s poor performance will win the Oscar – I would vastly prefer Eddie Redmayne, but Keaton is an american and that will help him to Oscar in February. The more british nominees there are, the more likely Keaton will win; if instead Redmayne is the only brit nominated, it will increase his chances enormously (don’t see that happening).

Is David Oyelowo an american or is he british? I’ve never seen him in anything ever and know nothing about him?

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmys2011
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that Oyelowo is slightly ahead of Carell. The last spot will probably be between Gyllenhall and Carell for oscar. Luckily both of them will get into globes, as Keaton will be in the comedy category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve given up and am predicting that Michael Keaton’s poor performance will win the Oscar – I would vastly prefer Eddie Redmayne, but Keaton is an american and that will help him to Oscar in February. The more british nominees there are, the more likely Keaton will win; if instead Redmayne is the only brit nominated, it will increase his chances enormously (don’t see that happening).

Congratulations on coming to you sense, Freeman – Keaton is going to win, and it is going to be glorious  

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Doesn’t the SAG-Ensemble nom for Theory of Everything greatly boost Redmayne’s chances? Considering it was so unexpected, it makes me wonder if the movie has to win something with this group, like when Dallas Buyers Club got a surprising ensemble nod and won the most SAG awards. Redmayne will also be strong at BAFTA, and Oscar hasn’t disagreed with SAG on Best Actor for over 10 years (though if there’s any year to break that trend, it’s this one).

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 403 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.