Home Forums Movies Best Actor Wins From 2007-2016…Does the Oscar World Love Them Or Hate Them?

Best Actor Wins From 2007-2016…Does the Oscar World Love Them Or Hate Them?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
jasonface
CitizenBlake
pulp50
  • CitizenBlake
    Participant
    Topics:

I was curious about this one.

As another user aptly made a thread for the actresses, I felt it would be just and fair to make one for the actors for the same time period of 2007-2016. Sorry in advance to whoever was planning on making a similar topic.

In terms of Best Actor wins, it seems, according to general consensus, that more often, the award goes to the most deserving winner, or at least, a deserving winner regardless of other nominees. As well as this, more unconventional and even odd choices in terms of the performances have been nominated and even won. Let’s have a rundown on the general consensus for Best Actor in a Leading Role from 2007-2016.

2007 –

Winner: Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood

General Consensus: Held as a extremely proficient piece of acting from Day-Lewis by many critics and filmgoers, and regarded as one of the most deserving wins of all time, even though it has received criticism for being caricature-ish and theatrical and being heavily overrated. My thoughts: Excellent performance from an excellent actor. DDL really embodied Old America like no other performance IMO, although I do fancy Viggo’s Russian gangster in Eastern Promises. If only a tie was possible.

2008 –

Winner: Sean Penn, Milk.

General Consensus: Career-best work from a respected actor and a deserving win, although it was a bit shocking how he robbed Mickey Rourke’s lived-in, world weary performance as Randy “The Ram” Robinson in Darren Aronofsky’s The Wrestler, especially considering the precursor support Rourke had.
    My thoughts: Penn was overrated as shit in this. Rourke was robbed IMO. Rourke’s performance still manages to make me feel like I knew him, Penn’s didn’t.

2009 –

Winner: Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart

General Consensus: A career reward for an aging thespian, who did nothing but play himself.
    My thoughts: I liked Colin Firth’s subtle turn in A Single Man a lot more, but I don’t begrudge a career reward for Bridges, even though its not a “great” performance.

2010 –

Winner: Colin Firth, The King’s Speech

General Consensus: Great and fully deserving performance in a film that was overrated to hell and shouldn’t have won Best Picture.
    My thoughts: As I said, I like Firth’s performance in the aforementioned A Single Man for his subtlety in that one. This stuttering, one-note monarch he plays is played well, but he should have won for the previous nomination, but I don’t begrudge this win.

2011 –

Winner: Jean Dujardin, The Artist

General Consensus: Quite an undeserving performance. Michael Fassbender’s turn in Shame was robbed of a nomination and also the win.
    My thoughts: I’m not fond of this one. Dujardin plays this performance with great nuance, but it is too sappy and melodramatic at many points. I prefer Gary Oldman’s George Smiley in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. An almost invisible, yet completely convincing portrayal of an emotionless and calculating individual at first glance, but so much more than that as the film progresses. Incredibly, for a guy known for portraying broad and over-the-top dudes with diverse accents, Oldman plays it completely safe and understated here. This is probably the most understated performance ever nominated for an Oscar, which is why it should have won even more IMO.

2012 –

Winner: Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln

General Consensus: Excellent and deserving third win for an unconventional yet fully convincing portrayal of Honest Abe and his struggles, though Joaquin Phoenix in The Master was equally deserving
    My thoughts; It’s conflicting. DDL gave a great performance, but Joaquin gave THE BEST performance. If only he’d kept his mouth shut before the awards season stretch rolled around, and he’d be Oscar winner Joaquin Phoenix. But seriously, Phoenix was on some other shit in this film. This is a ballsy and riveting performance in every way.

2013 –

Winner Matthew McConaughey, The Dallas Buyers Club.

General Consensus: There’s alot of shady business behind this win, and it isn’t as good as Leonardo DiCaprio’s work in The Wolf of Wall Street
    My thoughts: McConaughey played himself to full extent in that film. I don’t think he should have won. I like Chiwetel Ejiofor’s and Leo’s work far more.

2014 –

Winner: Eddie Redmayne, The Theory of Everything

General Consensus: Michael Keaton should have won.
    My thoughts: Portraying disability is tough, Redmayne’s portrayal brings to mind DDL in My Left Foot, although much inferior. I do think Eddie was good here, but I liked Jake Gyllenhaal’s riveting portrayal of American Capitalism in Nightcrawler, bringing to mind De Niro in Taxi Driver, but it wasn’t even nominated. Keaton was a bit overrated in Birdman.

2015 –

Winner: Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
    General Consensus: This was a clear reward for snubbing him numerous times before, but he shouldn’t have won for suffering in the Canadian wilderness. Fassbender should have won.
    General Thoughts; The field was weak as shit this year, and I did want Leonardo to win one eventually, so I’ll take this one personally.

2016 –

Winner: Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea
    General Consensus: Excellent win, alhough garnering much criticism for his personal life, and one of the more unconventional wins (an internalized, subtle performance) in Oscar history.
    My thoughts: I liked him better in TAOJJ, but this is one damn good performance, brings to mind Brando in his prime, though I liked Viggo aswell. If Denzel had won for his enormous caricature, it would have been an injustice to say the least.

What do you guys think?

jasonface
    Participant
    Topics:

Included who I preferred from the nominees and then out of any actor from that respective year.

Day-Lewis – good, deserving
    Penn – good, preferred Rourke
    Bridges – okay, preferred Firth or Mortensen
    Firth – okay, preferred Eisenberg or Gosling
    Dujardin – okay, preferred Oldman or Fassbender
    Day-Lewis – good, preferred Phoenix
    McConaughey – okay, also liked DiCaprio
    Redmayne – okay, also liked Cooper, preferred Gyllenhaal
    DiCaprio – okay, preferred Fassbender or Tremblay
    Affleck – good, deserving

ReplyCopy URL
    CitizenBlake
    Participant
    Topics:

Included who I preferred from the nominees and then out of any actor from that respective year.

Day-Lewis – good, deserving
    Penn – good, preferred Rourke
    Bridges – okay, preferred Firth or Mortensen
    Firth – okay, preferred Eisenberg or Gosling
    Dujardin – okay, preferred Oldman or Fassbender
    Day-Lewis – good, preferred Phoenix
    McConaughey – okay, also liked DiCaprio
    Redmayne – okay, also liked Cooper, preferred Gyllenhaal
    DiCaprio – okay, preferred Fassbender or Tremblay
    Affleck – good, deserving

I agree with much of this. Cooper gets alot of hate, but he’s actually a really solid actor when he tries. If DDL and Joaquin weren’t in the line-up for Best Actor, I would have admired him as a winner for SLP that year.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

-Day-Lewis: Deserved
    -Penn: Good, Rourke was better
    -Bridges: Good, Firth should have won
    -Firth: Brilliant
    -Dujardin: Meh, Oldman and Fassbender in particular were far better
    -Day-Lewis: Decent, of the nominees I would have chosen Cooper but really it should have been Lerman or Holland (yes, I went there)
    -McConaughey: Meh, belonged to Hanks hands down for me. Ejiofor would be second.
    -Redmayne: Good but overrated. Cumberbatch was the best of the nominees but Ralph Fiennes undoubtedly gave the best male acting performance that year for me.
    -DiCaprio: Good. Don’t begrudge as he was due and the performance was good but Fassbender should have taken it with ease and if not him then Tremblay. Redmyane was also more deserving for this year imo.
    -Affleck: Great. Of the nominees definitely. Overall would have chosen Garfield for Silence.

ReplyCopy URL
    jasonface
    Participant
    Topics:

-Affleck: Great. Of the nominees definitely. Overall would have chosen Garfield for Silence.

As much as I clearly love Affleck here, Andrew Garfield in Silence nearly overtakes him as my winner. Such an awe-inspiring and gut-wrenching tour-de-force. How frustrating that all the focus was on his lesser performance in Hacksaw Ridge.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Love Affleck, Day-Lewis (both), McConaughey, Penn, Redmayne
    Like Bridges, DiCaprio
    Indifferent on Dujardin, Firth

Coming soon to The Awards Connection…NICHOLSON AT THE OSCARS!

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Worst wins in the category: 2011 and 2013. Especially 2013 because he’s no great thespian.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Daniel Day-Lewis (“There Will Be Blood”): Excellent; one of the all-time level great Oscar wins in this or any category
    Sean Penn (“Milk”): Great; highly deserved win, but hand over your first Oscar to Bill Murray
    Jeff Bridges (“Crazy Heart”): Good; I don’t mind this as a career win or individual acknowledgement
    Colin Firth (“The King’s Speech”): Good; was rooting for Jesse Eisenberg though and found Firth better the preceding year with “A Single Man”
    Jean Dujardin (“The Artist”): Poor; would have chosen Clooney instead for “The Descendants”
    Daniel Day-Lewis (“Lincoln”): Great; in another year, Cooper or Phoenix would have been viable for wins instead
    Matthew McConaughey (“Dallas Buyers Club”): Great; I think this is McConaughey’s shining moment, so I’m fine with this maligned win
    Eddie Redmayne (“The Theory of Everything”): Average; Keaton should have won this one for “Birdman …”
    Leonardo DiCaprio (“The Revenant”): Good; nothing Earth-shattering, but finally, I guess … he’s been much better elsewhere and in previous nominations
    Casey Affleck (“Manchester by the Sea”): Average; would have voted for Denzel in “Fences”

ReplyCopy URL
    Golddenny
    Participant
    Topics:

2007 and 2013 are the only 2 wins I agree with. I could also make a case for Leo as the 2015’s BA category was relatively weak. Day-Lewis doesn’t deserved to win a third oscar for his portrayal of Lincoln, however Denzel was robbed of his third in 2016. Firth was nothing special, Eisenberg should have won. Bridge got a career win, not a bad one tho.    

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Day-Lewis: A fully deserving win, something I can’t even deny.

Penn: Fine, though both him and Rourke were overrated in this race. Brad Pitt should’ve taken this.

Bridges: Meh. Firth should’ve been the easy winner.

Firth: Decent. Pure baitiness well done. Ryan Gosling should’ve had this for Blue Valentine.

Dujardin: HATE this shit. Absolutely loathe it. I would’ve even taken Clooney over this.

Day-Lewis: Meh. Joaquin Phoenix was superior in every aspect.
    McConaughey: Bleh. This should’ve been the time to reward DiCaprio

Redmayne: Deserving and he was better than Keaton. Such a good laugh seeing the Keaton fans sob and be pressed over this while making predictions every year trying to make him happen again. Jessica Chastain teas.

DiCaprio: It was good. I believed Redmayne was better but DiCaprio had a sufficient enough performance to be deserving in a way.

Affleck: Don’t like him usually, but Deserving. I preferred Denzel but not upset at this win.

ReplyCopy URL
    SN
    Participant
    Topics:

2007: Daniel Day-Lewis, “There Will be Blood”
    A very well deserved win of a great actor in one of the best films of 21th century.

2008: Sean Pean, “Milk”
    Very undeserved. Mickey Rourke should have won.

2009: Jeff Bridges, “Crazy Heart”
    Career makeup victory, but not a bad choice.

2010: Colin Firth, “The King’s Speech”
    Mostly of the people say he deserved to won for A Single Man just because The King’s Speech didn’t deserve BP. Great performance in my opinion.

2011: Jean Dujardin, “The Artist”
    Charismatic, but forgettable performance.

2012: Daniel Day Lewis, “Lincoln”
    Lincoln isn’t a great movie, but DDL is great again. Well deserved.

2013: Matthew McGounaghey, “Dallas Buyers Club”
    Decent choice, but Chiwetel Ejiofor deserved more.

2014: Eddie Redmayne, “The Theory of Everything”
    Boring Oscar-bait performance, Keaton deserved much, much more

2015: Leonardo DiCaprio, “The Revenant”
    Late victory, but by far one of the weakest DiCaprio performances. But weak year so he deserved.

2016: Casey Affleck, “Manchester by the Sea”
    Well deserved. I love Denzel Washington, but his performance on Fences was so overracted.

ReplyCopy URL
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

2007: Daniel Day-Lewis, “There Will be Blood”

2008: Sean Pean, “Milk”
    Career best work.

2009: Jeff Bridges, “Crazy Heart”
    Haven’t seen it, can’t judge

2010: Colin Firth, “The King’s Speech”
    Terrific peformance, would’ve been happy with whoever won this year

No opinion, didn’t love it, didn’t hate it.

2012: Daniel Day Lewis, “Lincoln”
    Well deserved.

2013: Matthew McGounaghey, “Dallas Buyers Club”
    Thought it was pretty hammy and just what he always does in roles. DiCaprio or Ejiofor should’ve won IMO.

Keaton was robbed.

2015: Leonardo DiCaprio, “The Revenant”
    Weak peformance in weak year, only won for being overdue so can’t complain too much

Haven’t seen it, can’t judge.

ReplyCopy URL
    SayMyName
    Participant
    Topics:

Leo was amazing and deserving. You all need to calm down. He should have way more Oscars than one.

ReplyCopy URL
    lovelylovely
    Participant
    Topics:

2007: Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood – Absolutely deserving. I can’t say enough good things about this performance. DDL WAS Daniel Plainview. He WAS the movie.

2008: Sean Penn, Milk – Still have yet to see.

2009: Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart – I fell asleep while watching this, so needless to say it wasn’t one of my favorites. He was much much better in True Grit.

2010: Colin Firth, The Kings Speech – One of my favorite wins of all time. Firth perfectly captured the essence of King George Vi and his struggles. The, “I Have a Voice” scene definitely sealed the win for him, in my opinion.

2011: Jean Dujardin, The Artist – I hated this movie when I originally saw it, but at this point I’m pretty neutral about it. It wasn’t a hard win for him since the Best Actor category was weak that year. If I had to choose, I would’ve given it to George Clooney for The Descendants.

2012: Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln – Once again, a very deserving performance. He embodied President Lincoln better than any actor i’ve seen. However, Bradley Cooper was also incredible in Silver Linings Playbook, so I would’ve been more than satisfied if he won.

2013: Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club – Nope, nope, nope. This should’ve been Leonardo DiCaprio’s win for The Wolf of Wall Street. End of story, fin, das ende.

2014: Eddie Redmayne, The Theory of Everything – I actually preferred Bradley Cooper in American Sniper over this (and the rest of the nominees), but he was still very good. I’m still so happy Michael Keaton didn’t win for B*rdman (even if it was sad watching him put his speech back in his pocket).

2015: Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant – I’m glad he finally won his overdue Oscar for how ever many great performances he’s had throughout his career, but this wasn’t a, “first-time Oscar winner” role. I would’ve preferred Matt Damon in The Martian for the win.

2016: Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea – I’m very glad he won, he was also very deserving of the 50+ awards he won throughout the season. Ugh, this performance ripped out my heart and put it in a shredder. I couldn’t have imagined anyone but him in this role, especially Matt Damon (? still don’t understand that casting choice). The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford should’ve marked his first win, making MBTS his second.

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

Haven’t seen 2008-2010

2007: Daniel Day-Lewis, “There Will Be Blood”
    One of the best performances of all time in one of the best movies of all time. Even without having seen 3 of the performances I’m confident saying that this is the best winner of this group by a wide margin

Not sure if he should have won, but it was a great performance, the Artist gets too much hate.

2012: Daniel Day-Lewis, “Lincoln”
    Incredible performance and probably would have been deserving almost any other year, but this one should have gone to Joaquin Phoenix.

2013: Matthew McConaughey, “Dallas Buyers Club”
    I think it’s a very good performance but Ejiofer and Leo were much better.

Amazing performance, very well deserved

2015: Leonardo Dicaprio, “The Revenant”
    It’s his worst nominated performance, and I didn’t find him Oscar worthy. I’m not sure who should have beat him though. It was a very weak year. I didn’t see Steve Jobs though so maybe I’ll pick Fassbender once I see that.

Another great one, he was the obvious choice.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Reply To: Best Actor Wins From 2007-2016…Does the Oscar World Love Them Or Hate Them?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.