Best Actress 1972

Home // Forums // Movies // Best Actress 1972

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • keithw
    Participant
    Topics:

The nominees were:
    Cicely Tyson in Sounder
    Maggie Smith in Travels With My Aunt
    Liza Minnelli in Cabaret
    Diana Ross in Lady Sings the Blues
    Liv Ullmann in The Emigrants

These were five outstanding performances and, of course, everyone knows Liza won the Oscar.  Just wondering what people’s opinions about this outcome were.  I finally just saw The Emigrants and thought Liv Ullmann was outstanding.  However, my choice would have been Cicely Tyson in Sounder.  

Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Minnelli won because of love for the film and delayed recognition for her mother.
    Still all but Smith were in the race (BTW I love her performance in Travels, which is a perfect rendering of what Graham Greene wrotein the novel, despite a lot of people not caring for her performance)
    Ross was splendid in Lady, but suffered from being a film outsider, as well as really being hurt badly by a wildly out of control campiagn that Berry Gordy had for her.
    Ullmann was a contender by virtue the cumulative impact of her recent Bergman work.
    Tyson was for a while thought to be a real contender – being one of two black nominees hurt.
    By Oscar night, Minnelli was thought to be the likely winner (her film had come out 14 months earlier, so she clearly wore well).

ReplyCopy URL
    allabout oscars
    Topics:

SF hit the nail on the head with all the nominees.
    IMO..Diana Ross was clearly the best but by Oscar night
    had no chance to win…Hers, for me..is one of the greatest
    best actress performances of all time…somewhere in the top 12 or so..

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

Such a great year for this category. Ross and Minnelli were the leaders imo. Tyson would have won in the supporting category. Ullman was great as well. Performance for me are ranked

1. Dians Ross
    2. Liza Minnelli
    3. Cicely Tyson
    4. Liv Ullman
    5. Maggie Smith

Either performance would have made a great win

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

The nominees were:
    Cicely Tyson in Sounder
    Maggie Smith in Travels With My Aunt
    Liza Minnelli in Cabaret
    Diana Ross in Lady Sings the Blues
    Liv Ullmann in The Emigrants

These were five outstanding performances and, of course, everyone knows Liza won the Oscar.  Just wondering what people’s opinions about this outcome were.  I finally just saw The Emigrants and thought Liv Ullmann was outstanding.  However, my choice would have been Cicely Tyson in Sounder.  

Tyson was my emotional favorite. I was rooting for her. I also loved Ullmann, as well as the film. Glorious. I actually loved or liked all of the nominees (I have to check back to see who they snubbed). my least favorite being Diana Ross, whose overwrought gagging performance, distracted me from the film itself.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

Minnelli more than earned this in what is probably the best musical film of all time (along with Singin in the Rain)

ReplyCopy URL
    Ryan Earle
    Topics:

My rankings would be

Tyson
    Minnelli
    Ross
    Ullman
    Smith

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

I think I read in Ullman’s biography that Ross cried in her shoulder because she thought that she would win that Oscar, and that Minnelli was kind of surprised, but I can’t confirm.

It’s a great line-up and I’m always between Ullman and Ross for the winner, but Minnelli and Tyson were also great.

ReplyCopy URL
    keithw
    Participant
    Topics:

In her autobiography Changing, Liv Ullmann wrote mentioned that one of the nominees, anticipating the win, changed her outfit before the category (this was Ross though she was not mentioned by name).  She also wrote in her autobiography that after the awards she was mid way through signing an autograph when the paper was grabbed from her hands because the winner had arrived!
    Among those not nominated were:  Carol Burnett in Pete n’ Tillie, Goldie Hawn in Buttlerflies Are Free, Raquel Welch in Kansas City Bomber (I know, I know, but I liked the movie…..lol), Barbra Streisand (What’s Up Doc)…….I guess not a real competitive year for actresses.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

In her autobiography Changing, Liv Ullmann wrote mentioned that one of the nominees, anticipating the win, changed her outfit before the category (this was Ross though she was not mentioned by name).  She also wrote in her autobiography that after the awards she was mid way through signing an autograph when the paper was grabbed from her hands because the winner had arrived!
    Among those not nominated were:  Carol Burnett in Pete n’ Tillie, Goldie Hawn in Buttlerflies Are Free, Raquel Welch in Kansas City Bomber (I know, I know, but I liked the movie…..lol), Barbra Streisand (What’s Up Doc)…….I guess not a real competitive year for actresses.

Great anecdote. 
    Raquel did her own roller-skating. Gotta give her credit for that. I agree, I liked the movie as well. 
    Liza earned her Oscar, but imo everyone nominated actually deserved to be there.     

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that Tyson would have won in a heart beat if she were nominated in Supporting Actress.

The heavy handed machine led by Berry Gordy probably cost Diana Ross the Oscar.

I would have ranked Minelli fourth at highest behind Ross, Ullman/Tyson.

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Great line up but this is Liza’s all the way.

ReplyCopy URL
    marcelo
    Participant
    Topics:

LIZA, ONE OF THE BEST WINNERS OF ALL TIME, IN THE BEST MUSICAL EVER MADE

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s interesting that out of this group Smith has had as successful (at least feature film) career since as the other four combined, as well as another win and more nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
    keithw
    Participant
    Topics:

Maggie Smith is a truly unique actress.  My photo for this site is a picture we had taken in Stratford, Ontario last September….a week before the Emmys which she didn’t attend….so she was on this side of the Atlantic Ocean!   I was sitting on a bench waiting a few minutes before a performance of the play “Hirsch” was to begin, and I heard her unmistakeable voice.  I looked up and saw her with a couple of other women.  I said “Maggie” and she said “Yes”.  I was obviously surprised but did have my camera fortunately and asked if we could get a picture together…..the rest is history…..lol.     As I said, she has that voice and mannerisms and I think that is what makes her a huge asset to any film (or television series) she is in.  

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Reply To: Best Actress 1972

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.