Home Forums Movies Best Actress 1974

Best Actress 1974

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
replies
views
users
Best Actress 1974
Ellen Burstyn (Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore)
Diahann Carroll (Claudine)
Faye Dunaway (Chinatown)
Valerie Perinne (Lenny)
Gena Rowlands (A Woman Under the Influence)
  • ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

I wanted to create a topic for this particular year. This was such an incredible year for nominated actresses. While watching the Oscar cllip on Youtube, I noticed that the other nominees were shocked to see Buurstyn win. I wonder was Dunaway and Rowlands favorites to win the award. What do you guys think?

Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

As wonderful as everyone in this category was, Rowlands should’ve triumphed in a cakewalk.

As for who folks were predicting at the time, Carroll didn’t have a prayer and United Artists got greedy by moving Supporting Actress front-runner Perrine into Lead, where her chances were near-zero. Dunaway and Rowlands were indeed the perceived favorites, the former riding the immense success of her film (and arguably being the hottest actress at the time) and the latter the critics’ favorite. But Burstyn wasn’t entirely out – on her third nomination, she was already being looked upon as due for a win, and her Tony-winning turn in Same Time, Next Year, which was on Broadway during Oscar season, no doubt helped, especially among NY-based Academy members. Also, Dunaway may have been hurt by all of the tabloid press about her tense relationship with Roman Polanski, while the Rowlands film was perhaps too idiosyncratic for many members to accept.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.