Home Forums Movies Best Actress 1975

Best Actress 1975

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
  • keithw
    Participant
    Topics:

Louise Fletcher won the Oscar for “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” (likely in a landslide over the other nominees). Tonight I watched Glenda Jackson in “Hedda” also nominated that year….a good performance but nothing extraordinary. Just wondering what people’s opinions are of the five nominees that year:
    Fletcher, Jackson, Isabelle Adjani (The Story of Adele H), Ann-Margret (Tommy), & Carol Kane (Hester Street).
    I think the voting probably went like this: Fletcher (in a landslide), Ann-Margret, Adjani, Kane, & then Jackson

ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

Louise Fletcher is by far the worst winner in this category by a mile. People seem to think that if a role is iconic, it deserves an Oscar. She was not bad, but she simply showed up and got an Oscar. Fletcher would have made a horrible supporting actress nominee, let alone Lead Actress winner.

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

Louise Fletcher was signed a week before filming began. She also won the Golden Globe and BAFTA while placing second with New York Film Critics Circle. She gave a competent performance.

I think people simply regret that Angela Lansbury, Colleen Dewhurst, Geraldine Page, Ellen Burstyn, Jane Fonda and Anne Bancroft all declined the role of Mildred Ratched. The movie would have different and arguably richer with any of those six actresses.

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

I always thought Bea Arthur would have made a better choice for Nurse Rachett

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Fletcher is brilliant, albeit Supporting, but it’s nonetheless a very close call for me between she and Carol Kane, who is so understated and powerful in Hester Street. I would agree, however, Ann-Margret was probably runner-up. Faye Dunaway was robbed for Three Days of the Condor.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Best Original Song (1965) – Nat King Cole’s Swan Song

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Have to say that all of them were great but Kane was my fav of the bunch there.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Stop questioning Best Actress 1975 and 1997. Both wins are a result of Nicholson winning his category and dragging his female costars along with him. The same thing happened in ’83 with MacLaine. Although it should be argued in her case that she was deserving and overdue.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Stop questioning Best Actress 1975 and 1997. Both wins are a result of Nicholson winning his category and dragging his female costars along with him.

Eh, I dunno. There was a narrative around Helen Hunt at the time, winning an Emmy in the same year, and her film was the most popular with the Academy in her category (except for Titanic, but Winslet was never going to win for that). And whatever you think of Louise Fletcher’s performance (I think she’s brilliant, though I’d vote for Adjani), it was the fact that she was the only lead actress nominee in a real Oscar player, as well as the iconic nature of her role, which clinched it for her. I don’t think either win can be put purely down to co-starring with Jack Nicholson, though it certainly didn’t hurt.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  Eddy Q.
    ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Jack Nicholson’s influence is so strong when he campaigned for his friend’s film, Roman Polanski’s The Pianist, it won three Oscars including Best Director for the fugitive Polanski.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

#TeamFletcher! Brilliant and iconic performance perfectly deserving of that Oscar win. Subsequent work following the win is irrelevant. We just had a thread covering this same subject SMH.

ReplyCopy URL
    keithw
    Participant
    Topics:

I also thought Louise Fletcher was a very deserving winner. She had a “presence” …..quiet but frightening at the same time.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Even though I read the novel, I STILL wanted Jack to choke the ever-lovin’ CRAP out of her…(O please please please choke that bitch….)
    Lol.
    I don’t often become that emotional about a villain, save the Anthonys Hopkins and Perkins of course.

For me, Louise gave a terrific perf and one that was exactly like the Rachett created by Ken Kesey; cold, sociopathic, calculating, sadistic.

As for the others, I like all of their perfs. A close second for me? Ann- Margret.
    Way to go, Ann.

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

I am probably the only person that saw Nurse Ratchet as a woman just doing her job.

ReplyCopy URL
    keithw
    Participant
    Topics:

I didn’t think very many people would have seen Glenda Jackson in Hedda, Carol Kane in Hester Street or Isabelle Adjani in The Story of Adele H.

ReplyCopy URL
    twenty
    Participant
    Topics:

I loved Nurse Ratchet, but I didn’t like the film. And that ending uff!!.
    Louis was so cold and bossy but I understood her thought-process. Someone was needed to take charge and there she was. I too would argue over her performance being a supporting one.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Reply To: Best Actress 1975

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.