Home Forums Movies Best Actress, 1976: Faye Dunaway or Liv Ullman?

Best Actress, 1976: Faye Dunaway or Liv Ullman?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
Created
6 years ago
Last Reply
6 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Robert Russaw
    Participant
    Topics:

I just watched Face to Face and I must say that Liv Ullmann gives one of the bravest performances I have ever seen on film.   The last third of the movie where her character is reliving her painful past was a masterclass in acting to say the least. Dunaway’s role was difficult to pull off as well, but I thought that her character was less sympathetic than Ullmann’s, which I thought would cost her the Oscar.  I know that Dunaway was on her third nomination in a movie with more nominations (Network) than Ullmann’s, but I think I would have voted for Ullmann in a heartbeat.  For anyone who remembers, was Dunaway always the frontrunner?

Irishmovielover4ever
    Participant
    Topics:

Dunaway won the golden globe and a few critics awards.
    Ullmann won some critics awards but i believe Dunaway was the favourite because in my opnion her performance was the best also Network is a piece of art.

ReplyCopy URL
    dannyboy.
    Participant
    Topics:

Liv Ullmann! Faye could have won for either of her other nominations..

ReplyCopy URL
    allabout oscars
    Topics:

When the oscar season started, which then was the NYFF awards..Liv Ullmann was the first winner..
    her performance was talked about much more than Dunaway’s.. After NETWORK  opened, the movie
    got tremendous reviews and i will always remember all the peter finch talk, not the dunaway talk.
    In january, Finch passed away…and he and Dunaway won Golden globes..After that, it was a foregone
    conclusion that Finch would be the oscar winner…Liv Ullmann still was being talked about more than
    Dunaway. but about 2 weeks before the academy awards, Dunaway’s buzz  got stronger..The year before,
    Nicholson and Fletcher had both won for Cuckoo’s Nest and i remember 2 articles saying how difficult
    it had been for the 2 leads to come from the same film..But on oscar night, all the buzz had turned to
    Dunaway….she hardly campaigned at all…and when she won, she actually seemed so non-plussed
    and ungrateful…her acceptance speech was a bit of a bore…At that time, we all mightve guessed
    that faye dunaway was cut from a different cloth and beat to her own drummer…she never, ever
    achieved the success she could have..her 3 nominations are for 3 great films…she had a few more
    successes, but after MOMMIE DEAREST 4 years later….she went completely downhill, except for
    one more terrific performance opposite Mickey Rourke in Barfly…Ullman, on the other hand, struggled
    in Hollywood with commerical vehicles she wasnt right for…A film like FORTY CARATS exposed her as
    an actress who only did well in her native language being directed by Bergmann, so she was deemed
    limited.

In my opinion, Dunaway deserved her oscar over Ullmann..She gave a great performance and the academy
    thought she might have been overdue even at her young=ish age.

ReplyCopy URL
    Aunt Peg
    Topics:

Dunaway won the golden globe and a few critics awards.
    Ullmann won some critics awards but i believe Dunaway was the favourite because in my opnion her performance was the best also Network is a piece of art.

Yes Dunnaway won a Golden Globe but she didn’t win any critics awards.

As All About Oscar has already mentioned Ullmann won the New York Film Critics Award, she also won the L.A. Film Critics Award and the National Board of View award (which as we all know isn’t really a film critics award anyway). Sissy Spacek won the National Society of Film Critics Award. There were no other critics awards in 1976. That was it, and Dunnaway won none of them.

All About Oscar sums things up very well. 1976 was the first time I watched the Oscars and I remember reading an interview done with Faye Dunnaway after winning her Oscar that she thought Liv Ullmann was going to win, which may explain her acceptance speech to some degree. 

ReplyCopy URL
    SeunO
    Participant
    Topics:

Faye Dunaway.

By. A. Mile.

ReplyCopy URL
    SeunO
    Participant
    Topics:

Faye Dunaway.

By. A. Mile.

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

Liv Ullmann…Dunaway doesn’t even come close IMO.

ReplyCopy URL
    Matty G
    Participant
    Topics:

I haven’t seen Ullmann, but I probably would have voted for Spacek over Dunaway.  And I absolutely adore Network.  I just think that Chayefsky’s writing had as much to do with the success of the Diana Christensen character as did Dunaway’s acting, if not more so.

ReplyCopy URL
    dannyboy.
    Participant
    Topics:

I think I enjoy Network more as a whole, Its writing and directing, more than its individual performances.. Every Network nominee earned their nomination, no doubt, but I would have rather it won BP / BD and no acting wins over what it actually won. Polar opposite view than the Academy (for the 4,739th time).

ReplyCopy URL
    dannyboy.
    Participant
    Topics:

Shouldn’t this be a poll? Maybe include all five nominees..

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

I would have voted for Dunaway.

Side note, I thought William Holden gave the best performance in the film but got shorted by Finch’s showy role and the sympathy vote.

ReplyCopy URL
    A Person
    Participant
    Topics:

Dunaway is the only one of the three acting wins for Network I agree with, just barely over Spacek.

In Actor I give it to de Niro over Finch and Supporting Actress I prefer both Foster and Piper Laurie to Straight, with Foster getting the win from me.  I do think that I prefer Holden over Finch as well, though he has the less flashy role.  His ” you’re madness, Diana” scene at the end is pure gold.  He’s probably my personal runner-up after de Niro.  I still love Finch though and don’t begrudge him his win by any means

ReplyCopy URL
    rockstitution
    Topics:

Ullmann. I would’ve given Dunaway the win in the even more competitive ’67 line-up for Bonnie and Clyde.

In fact, much as I like Network, I don’t think I would’ve given it any acting wins, my choices were:

Actor-De Niro
    Actress-Ullman
    Supporting Actor-Robards (maybe Finch if I demoted him to supporting, where a case could be made).
    Supporting Actress-Laurie

I also agree with adam that William Holden was best in show here. I preferred his subdued natural acting to the bombast of the rest of the cast. His monologue about death damn near gets me every single time. Too bad he was up against top form De Niro.

I think Duvall is quite underrated for his turn here as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    iskolar
    Participant
    Topics:

I actually wanted Spacek to win for such an iconic performance. Anyway, between the two, I guess I’m gonna go with Liv

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.