Best Actress 1977

Home // Forums // Movies // Best Actress 1977

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
  • keithw
    Participant
    Topics:

Winner: Diane Keaton, Annie Hall
    Other nominees: Anne Bancroft, The Turning Point
    Shirley MacLaine, The Turning Point
    Marsha Mason, The Goodbye Girl
    Jane Fonda, Julia

This was a great lineup. My personal preference was Marsha Mason but wondered what others thought. I am thinking in the voting Shirley MacLaine may have placed second (long overdue). All 5 were excellent.

ziggy
    Participant
    Topics:

I miss the poll function :/

Bancroft and MacLaine were the two best things about an otherwise unforgivably sappy and shallow film, but for a performance to warrant a win (or even a nomination) the movie has to be of acceptable quality. I would not have rewarded anyone for the turkey that is The Turning Point.

Mason was fine in a forgettable crowd-pleaser. Julia I have not seen yet.

Keaton, though, was in a class of her own that year. Her turn was touching, funny and feisty, and while she made it look light and effortless, the role was actually seriously challenging and profound. The movie is unforgettable largely thanks to her.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

First off, it’s a freaking travesty Shelley Duvall (3 Women), Gena Rowlands (Opening Night) and Lily Tomlin (The Late Show) were not here – they’re vastly superior to all of the Oscar nominees.

With that said, of the Academy’s picks, I’d go with…Mason, I guess? I think all five of them are merely “pretty good.” And yeah, I imagine MacLaine was probably runner-up, though considering how little they liked The Turning Point, I’m not terribly confident about it. It could’ve been Mason or Fonda.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Best Original Song (1946) – A Jolly Train Ride with Judy

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

All five candidates appeared in a Best Picture nominee. A rare occasion for Best Actress nominees.

Jane Fonda was quite good in a film greatly admired by the Academy. Unfortunately she is miscast and struggles in playing a famed Jewish writer. Watching the film even now it is hard to understand why Streisand declined the role to supervise the postproduction of A Star is Born. This could have rivaled Funny Girl as her greatest triumph.

Shirley MacLaine is fine in The Turning Point but clearly overshadowed by Anne Bancroft in a superlative performance. In spite of success at the Globes, the backstage ballet soap opera didn’t register with the Academy in the final voting. It holds the record with The Color Purple for the most nominations and no wins.

Marsha Mason’s costar won Best Actor in a surprising triumph. However, she suffered under a cloud for performing in a role crafted for her by her then husband Neil Simon. The relationship provided Mason a decade of great material but left her tainted. After her divorce, she fell off the radar.

Diane Keaton had the benefit of two high profile, quite unique performances in Annie Hall and Looking for Mr. Goodbar. The double punch made her a sure fire winnah!

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

O I dunno. Bancroft is incredible in everything, but she made me laugh when she pretended to be able to dance, frankly. We KNOW Shirley can.
    All of the nominees are wonderful, but I’m with Diane, who also had Looking for Mr Goodbar that year.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Shelley Duvall should have been a nominee for 3 Women, and I also enjoy Irene Papas eating the scenery (and a human liver, from what I recall) in The Message — I also think Keaton’s one-two punch that year is fantastic and made for a deserved win.

But my personal choice would be Gena Rowlands in Opening Night, which I think is even better than her more popular Cassavettes collaboration from ’74 and one of the very best of the decade.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  manakamana.
    ReplyCopy URL
    VenusInFurs
    Participant
    Topics:

Shelley Duvall should’ve won for “3 Women”, or even Spacek. But I’m fine with Keaton taking it.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Best Actress 1977

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.