Home Forums Polls! Best Actress 1981

Best Actress 1981

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Beau S.
    Topics:

Great lineup (sans Mason who should be replaced by Faye Dunaway) but Hepburn, who won, is fourth at best following the powerhouse work from Keaton, Sarandon and Streep.

I know there was passion behind Hepburn winning her fourth but I don’t see how Sarandon could have lost this. She burns into the screen, true tour de force work if you ask me.

Actriz
    Participant
    Topics:

Susan Sarandon (as well as Burt Lancaster) should have won for their tour de force work in one of the most underrated films of the 80’s.

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Katharine Hepburn
    2. Meryl Streep
    3. Diane Keaton
    4. Susan Sarandon
    5. Masha Mason 

ReplyCopy URL
    Big Explosions
    Topics:

The only films here that have aged well are Reds and Atlantic City. Going with Sarandon.

At the time, I rooted for Streep, but her loss here led to her far more deserved victory for Sophie’s Choice, so I’m fine with it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Only seen Hepburn, who’s enjoyable, but  stuck in a one-dimensional part. She’s really quite good though. 

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

This is a good lineup, I do like Mason and I like her in this film…but I would replace her with Sissy Spacek in RAGGEDY MAN.  Faye Dunaway was a lot of campy fun, but I can’t agree with those who think it’s anything more than that.  It’s so ridicously over the top IMO, sorta like a tabolid movie & performance if you will.

My choice is Diane Keaton with Katharine Hepburn & Susan Sarandon not far behind.  I love Streep and she is of course very good…just not one of my favorite of her films or performances. 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s close between Diane and Susan. I went with Diane.

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Hepburn easily.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

Katharine Hepburn deserves at least 3, maybe 4 Oscars, but other than her win for The Lion in Winter, I feel all of the others were undeserved (much like her famous quote about winning for the wrong roles). In ON GOLDEN POND, she is definitely delightful and charming but it really didn’t scream an Oscar-win worthy performance to me.

Marsha Mason was the bridesmaid of that era and her train ended here. I think her best chance, IMO, was on her first nomination for Cinderella Liberty but in this race, I would flip flop her from 4th or 5th with Hepburn.

Meryl Streep is a solid 3rd here, but I am not passionate about her work here and I am thankful she ended up losing in retrospect since she was a frontrunner at the time.

For me, this race comes down to Diane Keaton and Susan Sarandon.

REDS is a sprawling romantic epic at its finest and still remains the greatest achievement of Warren Beatty’s career as an actor and director. Diane Keaton gave one of her best performances and her scene where she sees Beatty at the station was one of the best subtle reaction moments ever captured on film.

Susan Sarandon truly does burn on the screen as Beau said. She had a quality that seemed so different from many of the actresses at that time and her chemistry with Lancaster was lovely.

Since Keaton takes my personal vote for Annie Hall and Sarandon just misses out for me in every race, I give my vote to Susan Sarandon here by the slightest margin for giving a very strong and sensual performance….and I can’t look at a lemon the same way again.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Keaton. Streep is second with Sarandon in third.

ReplyCopy URL
    GraysWay
    Participant
    Topics:

I just watched “Atlantic City,” and I thought it was one of the worst films i’ve ever seen in my entire life!

ReplyCopy URL
    Words Count
    Topics:

I just watched “Atlantic City,” and I thought it was one of the worst films i’ve ever seen in my entire life!

That sparks my curiosity.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

That just makes me roll my eyes upwards.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: Best Actress 1981

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.