Home Forums Movies Best Actress 1984: Weakest Best Actress Lineup Ever?

Best Actress 1984: Weakest Best Actress Lineup Ever?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

RobertoTerra’s forum about  Best Supporting Actress 2009 being the weakest S.A lineup ever got me thinking about weak sets of nominees in Oscar history and although I have not seen  all of the nominees in every category (A goal I’m striving for though!),  I have no doubt Best Actress 1984 is the weakest set of nominees I have seen  in the Best Actress  Category so far.  Seriously,  couldn’t they have done better?   

My ranking and thoughts:  

1.  judy Davis in A  Passage To India:  This is a very subtle and well executed performance that is highly effective  and works well with the film, but I just don’t have any passion for it.  She’s very good, but she’s never outstanding.  The film also should have explored her character’s motives in the second half of the film more clearly (Those who have seen it will know what I’m talking about).  She’s good,  but never amazing.  

2.  Jessica Lange in Country:  This movie was actually surprisingly good, and Lange gives a  very strong performance that is  radiant.  However, the role is so one-dimensional that Lange only  succeds in part.  She gets much better in the second half though and it’s a very  competent performance.  It might sound that I like her more then Davis and in my heart I do, but Davis gives the more solid performance given she has  a more three dimensional  character and my head tells me  that  I have to choose her given’s Lange’s work is too uneven.  

3.  Sally Field in Places In The Heart:  This movie is one of the weirdest, dullest, misfires of a film I’ve ever seen and Field is underwhelming and dull in the role.  There are times where you think she’s bringing more energy, but it doesn’t carry all the way through.  The whole film is that way though, so I can’t blame her, but you just wish she could have tried harder.  

4.  Sissy Spacek in The River:  I couldn’t connect to any of the characters in this film.  Spacek and Gibson don’t have chemistry together and the role fails to interest me,  but I should give it a rewatch since Spacek does have some nice, expressive moments.  Until then though, she stays here.  

5.  Vanessa Redgrave in The  Bostonians:  Out of all the  dissapointing films from this category, this is the worst.  It’s boring and ineffective and Redgrave  hardly does anything noteworthy.  Some good moments I guess, but the role is so limited that I can’t see how it got any awards traction.     

What do you guys think of these women?  Would you have gone with Field or another nominee?  Do you think that this lineup is incredibly weak?  What  Best Actress lineups do you find to be the weakest in history?  Better yet, who SHOULD have been nominated (Please tell me the Academy could have done better!)? 

keithw
    Topics:

I thought Jessica Lange should have won the Oscar for “Country”.  I think one of the weakest Best Actress line-ups was when Lange won for “Blue Sky”.  She was great in that movie, and I think she deserved the Oscar over the competition.  Probably the closes in the voting was Jodie Foster in “Nell” but the thinking was Foster couldn’t have three Best Actress Oscars at that point.  The other three (Ryder, Sarandon and Richardson)  I don’t think really stood a chance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Fiercely disagree with you about Redgrave in The Bostonians. The film as a whole is a little more ungainly and stagnant than some later Merchant-Ivory films, but it comes to life in Redgrave’s scenes. She convincingly shows how Olive’s passion and advocacy for the movement is repressed partly by society but also due to her lack of charisma and appealling qualities (which is a first for Redgrave to embody!) Even the most mannered parts of her performance successfully demonstrate this. Definitely some of her best work and she deservedly won NSFC award, the first of two consecutive wins for her from that group. (Interesting fact: then-unknown Julianne Moore apparently was desperate to land the role of Verena, but never managed to get in contact with the casting director. She probably would’ve been more remarkable than Madeleine Potter).

The only other nominee from this bunch I’ve seen is Davis, who is fine in A Passage to India but Peggy Ashcroft is the MVP. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Fiercely disagree with you about Redgrave in The Bostonians. The film as a whole is a little more ungainly and stagnant than some later Merchant-Ivory films, but it comes to life in Redgrave’s scenes. She convincingly shows how Olive’s passion and advocacy for the movement is repressed partly by society but also due to her lack of charisma and appealling qualities (which is a first for Redgrave to embody!) Even the most mannered parts of her performance successfully demonstrate this. Definitely some of her best work and she deservedly won NSFC award, the first of two consecutive wins for her from that group. (Interesting fact: then-unknown Julianne Moore apparently was desperate to land the role of Verena, but never managed to get in contact with the casting director. She probably would’ve been more remarkable than Madeleine Potter).

The only other nominee from this bunch I’ve seen is Davis, who is fine in A Passage to India but Peggy Ashcroft is the MVP. 

I should give it another look then!  I remember liking Porter quite a lot, but things do change.   

ReplyCopy URL
    benbraddock
    Participant
    Topics:

FIELD  in a landslide…Everyone else in the category are just passable..

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Sissy Spacek
    2. Sally Field
    3. Judy Davis
    4. Jessica Lange
    5. Vanessa Redgrave

ReplyCopy URL
    harposboy
    Topics:

I agree that this is a very weak line-up. 2005 and 1953 are other ones that come to mind as being weak.

Frankly Spacek, Lange and Redgrave should all be happy for a weak year to add to their award tallies. Judy Davis should have at least two oscars and one is for this year.

1984 is such a bad year it’s hard coming up with alternate nominees.

Mia Farrow should be there for Broadway Danny Rose.

Diane Keaton is great in Mrs. Soffel but it’s not a very good movie…

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree that this is a very weak line-up. 2005 and 1953 are other ones that come to mind as being weak.

Frankly Spacek, Lange and Redgrave should all be happy for a weak year to add to their award tallies. Judy Davis should have at least two oscars and one is for this year.

What about Kathleen Turner in Romancing The Stone or in Crimes Of Passion?  Is she worth seeing in any of those movies?   

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

Out of the five, I’ve seen Sally Field, Judy Davis, Vanessa Redgrave and I disagree that this is the weakest best actress line-up. 1994 is pretty bad and let’s not forget about 2005 when most of the nominated performances were pretty mediocre. Come on, I even believe that Reese Witherspoon would have been snubbed, had her film premiered in 2006 instead of 2005. 

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Judy Davis’ performance was considered “controversial” at the time. I’m not exactly sure why. I think she played the role drastically different from how it was in the book. I’m guessing the character was more innocent and naive in the book. Not sure though. This was a weak year for women. The supporting race was kind of interesting though.

There weren’t many women in high profile films so they had to look around to some flop films and came up with interesting stuff: Christine Lahti, Swing Shift; Geraldine Page, The Pope of Greenwich Village; and Glenn Close, The Natural (which I always thought was dull but on second viewing recently I found her to be quite good in the role.)  

The performance that got a lot of acclaim but was too controversial for the academy was Melanie Griffith in Body Heat.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

1984 was a bad lineup but nowhere near as bad as 1975 and 1994 which were both complete embarrassments.

ReplyCopy URL
    keithw
    Topics:

Yes, 1975 was the year Louise Fletcher easily won the Oscar for “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”.  I recently saw “Hester Street” with Carol Kane and though she was fine in the role….as were Ann-Margret (Tommy) and Isabelle Adjani (The Story of Adele H).  I never did see Glenda Jackson in “Hedda”…..one of just a handful Best Actress nominees since the 60s that I have not ever seen.

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

Sadly, Mia Farrow’s best work has been in horror and comedy, traditionally genres ignored by the Academy. She was unjustly ignored for Rosemary’s Baby, The Purple Rose of Cairo, Hannah and Her Sisters and as mentioned by another poster Broadway Danny Rose in this weak year.

Farrow was brilliant as woman of questionable morals. She is virtually unrecognizable in her first appearance on screen. It is a rich performance, hilarious and completely real. Had she been nominated . . .

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

I kinda love that lineup of nominees. Would’t change any of them. The wrong performance won in my opinion though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mrs. Doolittle
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”harposboy”]I agree that this is a very weak line-up. 2005 and 1953 are other ones that come to mind as being weak.

What about Kathleen Turner in Romancing The Stone or in Crimes Of Passion?  Is she worth seeing in any of those movies?   

[/quote]

Turner won the LA Critics Award and the Comedy Globe for RtS. I have no idea how she was snubbed in this incredibly weak lineup.

FIELD rightfully won though. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.