Home Forums Movies Best Actress 2010: Who Deserved To Win?

Best Actress 2010: Who Deserved To Win?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
pulp50
jasonface
lovelylovely
Best Actress 2010: Who Deserved To Win?
Annette Benning in The Kids Are All Right
Nicole Kidman in Rabbit Hole
Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone
Natalie Portman in Black Swan
Michelle Williams in Blue Valentine
  • Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve decided to create this post because I’ve already mentioned that I’m not really sure what the general opinion is on Portman’s win and I’m wondering who would you choose? I personally would go with Kidman: She is fantastic in a difficult role. I like Portman too, and Williams even though her role is somewhat limited and Benning is excellent as well. Only weak link to me is Lawrence who irritates and grates on me in Winter’s Bone.

P.S: I can’t seem to get rid of the extra option between Benning and Nicole. Any helpful tips on how to do that?

pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

Portman got a very well deserved win. Easily 2nd best winner of the decade so far after Blanchett. I’d put Williams in 2nd and Lawrence in 3rd, either of them would have been great winners had they not been going up against Portman.

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

Kidman

ReplyCopy URL
    jasonface
    Participant
    Topics:

Still can’t decide between Portman and Williams, but I guess I would ultimately rank them: Portman, Williams, Lawrence, Kidman, Bening. This was an amazing year and they’re all worthy nominees, except I would easily replace Bening. The other four I love though.

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

Still can’t decide between Portman and Williams, but I guess I would ultimately rank them: Portman, Williams, Lawrence, Kidman, Bening. This was an amazing year and they’re all worthy nominees, except I would easily replace Bening. The other four I love though.

Do you know who you would replace Bening with? I think she was great but Moore was probably even more deserving.

ReplyCopy URL
    Coltrane
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought Bening made the movie and deserved this win. I’m a huge Bening fan, have always been. This and her performance in The Grifters should have been wins. Paradoxically, I think she was closer to the win in 2000 with American Beauty but if I recall correctly, Bening was seen as the biggest threat to Portman at the time of these Oscars.

Regardless, I’d rank them:

1. Annette Bening
    2. Michelle Williams
    3. Natalie Portman
    4. Jennifer Lawrence
    5. Nicole Kidman

To be fair—I love all of the first 4 performances. Jennifer Lawrence has never been better than in Winter’s Bone, I preferred Portman wildly in Closer but she was undeniably great, and Michelle Williams was at peak form with this performance being the best she’s given out of her nominated roles thus far (on par with Wendy and Lucy).

Nicole Kidman was a big surprise for me the year these nominations came out. I thought Julianne Moore would get in as well, and if not her I thought Halle Berry or Hilary Swank would have been more deserving. I think Kidman is pretty good in this role, but I don’t think she deserved a nod. Kidman’s nods (barring The Hours for which she justifiably won) have always been out of step with what she should have gotten nominated for. Shouldn’t: Moulin Rouge, Rabbit Hole, Lion. Should: To Die For, The Others, Dogville, Birth.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Jennifer Lawrence, obviously. The definition of a quality subtle performance. She said a ton without even saying that much.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Natalie Portman deservedly won. End of discussion. Case closed.

ReplyCopy URL
    jasonface
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you know who you would replace Bening with? I think she was great but Moore was probably even more deserving.

Okay so the most realistic alternative within the Academy’s comfort zone would be rightfully placing Hailee Steinfeld for True Grit in Best Actress. But my true personal “in a perfect world” alternative would be Jeon Do-yeon for Secret Sunshine. The Kids Are All Right just doesn’t feel like a real Oscar type movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    lovelylovely
    Participant
    Topics:

Absolutely Natalie Portman. Probably the most deserving Best Actress win i’ve seen in a while. Michelle Williams is 2nd place though, her performance in Blue Valentine is heart-wrenching.

ReplyCopy URL
    jasonface
    Participant
    Topics:

Absolutely Natalie Portman. Probably the most deserving Best Actress win i’ve seen in a while. Michelle Williams is 2nd place though, her performance in Blue Valentine is heart-wrenching.

I’m extremely disturbed that she’s still at 0 votes right now

ReplyCopy URL
    lovelylovely
    Participant
    Topics:

Only if we were allowed a second vote :/

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Bening.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought Bening made the movie and deserved this win. I’m a huge Bening fan, have always been. This and her performance in The Grifters should have been wins. Paradoxically, I think she was closer to the win in 2000 with American Beauty but if I recall correctly, Bening was seen as the biggest threat to Portman at the time of these Oscars.

Regardless, I’d rank them:

1. Annette Bening
    2. Michelle Williams
    3. Natalie Portman
    4. Jennifer Lawrence
    5. Nicole Kidman

To be fair—I love all of the first 4 performances. Jennifer Lawrence has never been better than in Winter’s Bone, I preferred Portman wildly in Closer but she was undeniably great, and Michelle Williams was at peak form with this performance being the best she’s given out of her nominated roles thus far (on par with Wendy and Lucy).

Nicole Kidman was a big surprise for me the year these nominations came out. I thought Julianne Moore would get in as well, and if not her I thought Halle Berry or Hilary Swank would have been more deserving. I think Kidman is pretty good in this role, but I don’t think she deserved a nod. Kidman’s nods (barring The Hours for which she justifiably won) have always been out of step with what she should have gotten nominated for. Shouldn’t: Moulin Rouge, Rabbit Hole, Lion. Should: To Die For, The Others, Dogville, Birth.

I personally hated her in The Grifters and from what I remember, I did not care for her in Being Julia. She gave strong performances here and in American Beauty though, although the latter gets a little old after awhile. She’s not my favorite actress, but definitely a talented one. Would like to see 20th Century Women at some point.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, now she has two votes 🙂 And there are 14 days left in the poll, so don’t worry. It looks like Portman is winning right now .

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Reply To: Best Actress 2010: Who Deserved To Win?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.