Home Forums Movies Best Actress 2014 (Part 5)

Best Actress 2014 (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 440 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

Continue the discussion here. 

KMJ1230
    Topics:

I see many are saying how amazing/ stellar Anistons ‘campaign’ is but in what way? Yes, she hired a seasoned media pro who behind the scenes is prob. hyping and trying to sell the performance (with private showings of the movie along with very expensive bottles of wine etc etc… lol ). Thing with Jen is she doesn’t need to woo anyone over too hard ’cause she’s SO well known and likable by a lot of the public (very comparible to a Sandra Bullock). Long as she’s good/very good in any movie it would take someone like her 1/2 the effort just to get a nom. The Oscars know she’ll pull in way more viewers (esp. younger viewers) than Marion Cotillard or the like lol. But, (unlike Bullock/Blind Side) this is TINY movie and not one major studio picked it up after Toronto (unlike Still Alice). SA was  snatched up by Sony w/in days after Toronto. I’m very surprised and baffled to why a major studio didn’t pick up Cake asap considering the reception it got at Toronto and most importantly who its *star is! Seems Cake would’ve possibly gone straight to DVD or cable if its own directors didn’t finance it! lol. Unlike Aniston who I’ve seen I guess here and there (at least so far), I’m seeing/hearing Moore like…everywhere! She’ll be on Letterman tonight and has been busting her a*s, making the rounds across most major media shows. I dunno exactly to what degree ‘campaigning’ involves but far as ‘media presence’ and pimping out her movie, *Moore (unlike Witherspoon, Pike etc..) has been the most visible non stop since Sony picked it up.

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

Not sure about Aniston or Jones, and I could still see Adams getting in. She is that well-loved.

ReplyCopy URL
    Beyonce
    Participant
    Topics:

Aniston’s campaign is amazing because she literally pulled a SAG and BFCA noms out of her ass. a few people were predicting her for a Globe nod, but NOBODY thought she will became an actual contender for the Oscar nod. plus, regardless of level of stardom, very few actors have managed to pull such nominations for poorly reviewed movies. even The Blind Side got decent reviews, God knows how…

ReplyCopy URL
    Beyonce
    Participant
    Topics:

She is that well-loved.

shh, don’t tell anyone that. even when she does get in, doubters are gonna doubt.

I can already see the arguments next year: ”yeah, she got it for her first 57468347 Oscar bait projects, but ‘The Story of my Life’ is different, it’s a sci-fi!”

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

Amy Adams isn’t that well liked, she’s just good at choosing projects that she rides on the coattails of. Since her first nomination she hasn’t gotten in for a film without at least two other acting nominations. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d argue Adams deserved all her nominations regardless of her co-stars (except perhaps Doubt), but yes, the films she was in gave her undeniable advantages which Big Eyes does not provide. And the box-office hurts too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mina Nagy
    Participant
    Topics:

Box office and reviews for big eyes aren’t that bad
    Reviews are at 70% on RT which is good
    Box office is at 11 million in 12 days and the film will make around 30 million by the end of its run (more than birdman, foxcatcher and maybe even ToE). Wild will surpass it and Imitation Game for sure by a mile but this is not a bomb as many people say at all.
    With a budget of 10 million, this will actually MAKE money 

ReplyCopy URL
    outsider
    Topics:

I really doubt “Big Eyes” makes it to $30 million in the US.

It might not be a huge flop if the budget is that low (of course they’ve also spent on marketing and an awards campaign), but you have to admit its averages have been pretty bad.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Someone mentioned on the previous thread that Jones wasn’t doing the press rounds but she is 

ReplyCopy URL
    Sasha
    Participant
    Topics:

Thought a little bit about this particular category and Julianne Moore is a lock only if she wins both SAG and GG. If she loses one of those then we have a race, ladies and gentlemen.

ReplyCopy URL
    vozas
    Topics:

Agree about what’s been said about Adams. I think she deserved all her noms except for Doubt (which was an embarrassment across the board for everyone involved) and should’ve already won for Junebug and probably The Master too given the terrible categories in those respective years, but she’s a coattail rider.

@Sasha: agreed. And I’m living for Cammy D in your avatar, where’s that picture from?

ReplyCopy URL
    Sasha
    Participant
    Topics:

^ London premiere of one of her worst movies ever “What to Expect When You’re Expecting”. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Ryan2012
    Participant
    Topics:

I loved Doubt.

And I also love Cameron Diaz, but let’s admit it; pretty hard to identify any of her worse movies since she has soooooooo many.

That said; please let Jennifer get in!!!! 

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

I really doubt “Big Eyes” makes it to $30 million in the US.

It might not be a huge flop if the budget is that low (of course they’ve also spent on marketing and an awards campaign), but you have to admit its averages have been pretty bad.

Box office isn’t as big a factor as usual. This year, it seems like it’s more important to just have a wide distribution. Foxcatcher is bombing right now, and Boyhood didn’t light up the box office. It’s the year of the indie, so Box Office is being tossed out the window.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 440 total)
Reply To: Best Actress 2014 (Part 5)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.