Home Forums Movies BEST ACTRESS 2017

BEST ACTRESS 2017

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 597 total)
Created
12 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
( +21 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • 13SV8
    Participant
    Topics:

The Best Actress race right now is between Natalie Portman and Emma Stone with Annette Bening as a potential spoiler because of her overdue status. The Huffington Post has a interesting take on it.

The past few Best Actress contests have been steamrolled by one candidate who dominated the bulk of awards season (Brie Larson in “Room,” Julianne Moore in “Still Alice,” Cate Blanchett in “Blue Jasmine”). This year’s lineup is stacked, and how fun would be it to see a real contest? Emma Stone (“La La Land”) was branded the earlier pacesetter, and she has the charm to work the talk-show and awards-party circuit for months to come. But it’s a quintessential Emma Stone performance, and the Academy prefers to see its women transform.

That brings us to Natalie Portman, who revisits the dark terrain that netted her “Black Swan” Oscar five years ago. Portraying Jackie Kennedy during the week after her husband’s assassination, she brings a new layer of rage and grief to each passing scene. Portman will have to contend with the “she’s overdue” narrative surrounding Annette Bening, a four-time nominee who has never won. That gives us a tight three-way race, assuming Paramount wisely bumps Viola Davis’ emotive “Fences” performance to the supporting realm. If so, the final two slots offer a derby among the overdue Amy Adams (“Arrival” and “Nocturnal Animals”), Meryl Streep (“Florence Foster Jenkins”), Ruth Negga (“Loving”), Jessica Chastain (“Miss Sloane”), Taraji P. Henson (“Hidden Figures”), Rebecca Hall (“Christine”), Marion Cotillard (“Allied”) and French veteran Isabelle Huppert (“Elle” and “Things to Come”), who could be this year’s Charlotte Rampling.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/where-the-oscar-race-stands-after-falls-major-film-festivals_us_58053431e4b0b994d4c0d45e?

My Current predictions 

1. Natalie Portman (JACKIE)
    2. Emma Stone (La La Land)
    3. Annette Bening (20th Century Women)
    4. Meryl Streep (Florence Foster Jenkins)
    5. Isabelle Huppert (Elle)

• This topic was modified 12 months ago by  13SV8.
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

Sounds like there is going to be a Portman Sweep.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

*If* Stone were to lose, and La La Land won Picture, she would be 2 for 2 on nominations in a Picture winner. What’s the record tally for that? Most unsuccessful nominations, but only being nommed for Picture winners?

ReplyCopy URL
    Jim Brooks
    Participant
    Topics:

Shirley Maclaine lost Best Actress for The Sound of Music and The Apartment, both Best Picture winers.

ReplyCopy URL
    13SV8
    Participant
    Topics:

*If* Stone were to lose, and La La Land won Picture, she would be 2 for 2 on nominations in a Picture winner. What’s the record tally for that? Most unsuccessful nominations, but only being nommed for Picture winners?

Do you think Academy members give a crap about this. Natalie Portman gives a transformative performance while Emma Stone basically plays herself in La La Land.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jim Brooks
    Participant
    Topics:

Thought of another one….Meryl Streep Lost Best Actress in Out Of Africa and lost Supporting for The Deer Hunter.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Sounds like there is going to be a Portman Sweep.

She can’t lose a televised prize.

ReplyCopy URL
    james14
    Participant
    Topics:

Current Predictions

Amy Adams, Arrival
    Annette Bening, 20th Century Women
    Jessica Chastain, Miss Sloane
    Natalie Portman, Jackie
    Emma Stone, La La Land

Alt. over Chastain if Lead – Viola Davis, Fences

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

The answer here SHOULD be Keaton, who was robbed of a nomination with Spotlight, and that would be even more shocking given it happened in consecutive years.

ReplyCopy URL
    jasonface
    Participant
    Topics:

Amy Adams, Arrival
    Annette Bening, 20th Century Women
    Viola Davis, Fences
    Natalie Portman, Jackie
    Emma Stone, La La Land

Ruth Negga, Loving
    Meryl Streep, Florence Foster Jenkins

And I’d love to see Jessica Chastain (Miss Sloane), Rebecca Hall (Christine), and Isabelle Huppert (Elle) nominated, but I consider their chances more unlikely.

ReplyCopy URL
    pacinofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Thought of another one….Meryl Streep Lost Best Actress in Out Of Africa and lost Supporting for The Deer Hunter.

Ralph Fiennes was nominated for both “Schindler’s List” and “The English Patient”. He has yet to be nominated again so no chance to break the curse.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jim Brooks
    Participant
    Topics:

And should haven for Schndler’s List.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sasha
    Participant
    Topics:

The Queen is back, bitches! Have you been missing me? Of course you have! Now it won’t be boring anymore because I’m gonna be as unPC as ever before. Balls to the wall, take no prisoners. And all hail to Dame Kate Beckinsale because she’s coming for that nod you silly muthafuckers!

ReplyCopy URL
    WaltEagle
    Participant
    Topics:

Natalie Portman‘s buzz is too big to ignore, and Emma Stone is a surefire nominee with her movie’s general buzz. Viola Davis will probably want to submit here and I wouldn’t call a win close to impossible. Ruth Negga feels like the type of first nomination they like to give out, and I’d also predict Annette Bening, one of their favourite losers.

Amy Adams and Jessica Chastain are definitely in the conversation and their stock could rise with buzz about their movies. Isabelle Huppert and Taraji P. Henson too, but it would take a lot more buzz. Having seen Florence Foster Jenkins, I don’t think Meryl Streep has a serious chance here; nominating her would be perfunctory. I don’t especially believe in Rebecca Hall, Kate Beckinsale, Rachel Weisz, or Marion Cotillard.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

The Queen is back, bitches! Have you been missing me? Of course you have! Now it won’t be boring anymore because I’m gonna be as unPC as ever before. Balls to the wall, take no prisoners. And all hail to Dame Kate Beckinsale because she’s coming for that nod you silly muthafuckers!

She’s not but I miss you.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 597 total)
Reply To: BEST ACTRESS 2017

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.