Home Forums Movies Best Actress Wins from 2007-2016- Does The Oscar World Love Em Or Hate Em?

Best Actress Wins from 2007-2016- Does The Oscar World Love Em Or Hate Em?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 100 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Teridax
jasonface
votoenrojo
  • Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

I just recently made this post on my blog, continuing my tradition of who are the most popular nominees of the Best Actress year, in a nutshell, who most people think deserved it the most(https://filmoscarsandmore.blogspot.com/2017/07/best-actress-overall-winners-part-6.html). This got me to thinking: What are the consensus opinions of the winners from the last 10 years or so, Cotillard to Stone? I think we’re all pretty clear that Halle Berry, Julia Roberts, Reese Witherspoon, Hillary Swank, ect are hated winners and Meryl in Sophie’s Choice, both of Vivien Leigh’s wins, and Swank’s first win are loved wins, and some of the winners I’m asking about are easy calls. But I’m wondering: What do you think are the general consensus about them? Love, hate, love it/hate it, or somewhere in between?

james14
    Participant
    Topics:

General Consensus (not my personal opinion):

Marion Cotillard – GOOD
    Kate Wnslet – MODERATE
    Sandra Bullock – BAD
    Natalie Portman – MODERATE
    Meryl Streep – MODERATE
    Jennifer Lawrence – MODERATE
    Cate Blanchett – GOOD
    Julianne Moore – GOOD
    Brie Larson – GOOD
    Emma Stone – BAD

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

Marion Cotillard – great
    Kate Wnslet – good
    Sandra Bullock – good
    Natalie Portman – good
    Meryl Streep – for this win maybe not great, but she is meryl so she is never bad
    Jennifer Lawrence – ehhh
    Cate Blanchett – great
    Julianne Moore – good
    Brie Larson – ehh
    Emma Stone – not favorably

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AndrewsArt

Check out my Store.

ReplyCopy URL
    tonorlo
    Participant
    Topics:

With the exceptions of Cotillard, who will be remembered as one of the category’s all-time greats, and Blanchett, who is very, very solid, all of the other women run a gamut from “adequate” to flotsam.

Winslet and Moore are always going to be dealing with a yin-yang issue of the universe being glad they’re Oscar winners/but why did it have to happen for such run-of-the-mill work?

Lawrence is going to suffer in a “you really had to be there” kind of way. Her narrative as an ascending meteor at the time of “Silver Linings Playbook” will be recalled most vividly by those who saw it take place (for fifteen minutes, the girl was virtually inescapable in every nook and cranny of pop culture-dom), but for future generations, her winning work is likely going to be seen much like the Audrey Hepburn win in “Roman Holiday” is typically assessed by the masses… Tough to deny the charisma on display, but is this really death-defying thespianship?

“SHE FINALLY GOT THE THIRD ONE!” will always drown out the applause/dissension over the Streep win. C’est la vie.

I’ll admit I’m more than a little chagrined at how durable the Portman win has proved to be over the past six years. I maintained at the time and still do maintain that I thought she was the weakest nominee in her lineup, but I suspect the formalistic erraticism of her vehicle will always touch a nerve in Oscar circles (to date, there’s nothing else quite like “Black Swan” in the Best Actress lineup), and make Portman look fetching. (I’m waiting for the masses to wake up and realize that 2010 saw Lawrence and Williams’s worthiest nominations [to date]).

Larson and Stone are still too soon to call, and the shapes of their future careers will have a lot to do with how their wins are seen in the future. For right now, though, I think Larson will probably hold up better in a non-passionate, muted-nod-of-general-approval kind of way (though I think Blanchett and Rampling will gain more appreciation for their nominated work as the years go by). Stone will suffer inevitable comparisons to other winning performances such as Streisand in “Funny Girl” and Minnelli in “Cabaret,” although if she can maintain career momentum, I think there will also be a general chorus of approval that she is an Oscar winner.

Bullock is going to “suffer” the most in terms of the prestige of her win. Virtually from the moment the Oscar was in her hand, she was being ranked with the Mary Pickfords and Loretta Youngs as being among the least deserving winners. Again: nobody’s going to mind her being an Oscar winner, but unlike Winslet and Moore, who at least make decent-ish cases as nominees, I think a lot of people will be scratching their heads in the future (as many are doing now) and wondering how “The Blind Side” ever got on Oscar’s radar. (Again, you had to be there, kids.)

ReplyCopy URL
    jasonface
    Participant
    Topics:

Three were the best of the past ten years who earned their award, four were just okay that had other reasons for winning, and three were bad winners due to the simple demands of their roles and the competition that they beat. (Why they won in parentheses)

Marion Cotillard – good (deserving)
    Kate Winslet – okay (overdue)
    Sandra Bullock – bad (wtf)
    Natalie Portman – good (deserving)
    Meryl Streep – okay (overdue)
    Jennifer Lawrence – bad (ingenue)
    Cate Blanchett – good (deserving)
    Julianne Moore – okay (overdue)
    Brie Larson – okay (ingenue)
    Emma Stone – bad (ingenue)

ReplyCopy URL
    KirbyNicholson
    Participant
    Topics:

Marion Cotillard-Freaking Masterful
    Kate Winslet-More Support, but Good
    Sandra Bullock-WTF
    Natalie Portman-Freaking Masterful Meryl Streep-It’s Meryl Streep, Meh JLO-I Honestly thought she was good in the film, I thought People were jumping on Riva because she won the Bafta and that she is some obscure foreign actress that High-class snobs considered her overdue Cate Blanchett-Freaking Masterful Julianne Moore-Meh Brie Larson-Good Emma Stone-Applies to Lawrence as well

"We will always have Paris"

ReplyCopy URL
    CitizenBlake
    Participant
    Topics:

Marion Cotillard – Excellent
    Kate Winslet – Shit, should have won for ESOTSM
    Sandra Bullock – Shit, Mulligan or Sidibe should have won.
    Natalie Portman – Excellent
    Meryl Streep – Good-ish, but quite a bit of soliloquies in this performance, and should have won years ago for TDWP while Mara or Davis won this one.
    Jennifer Lawrence – Shit. Was thoroughly outacted by Cooper. Riva should have won easily.
    Cate Blanchett – Excellent, but in recent weeks, Adele Excharchopoulos’ and Lea Seydoux’ works in Blue is the Warmest Colour grew on me to a point that if they were nominated, I would have really liked them as winners either one.
    Julianne Moore – Okay, but a much better performance was robbed, and we all know which one I’m referring to.
    Brie Larson – Okay-ish, but ALOT of histrionics made her look desperate for awards attention.
    Emma Stone – Shit. Portman was fucking robbed.

ReplyCopy URL
    jasonface
    Participant
    Topics:

Sandra Bullock – Shit, Mulligan or Sidibe should have won.
    Natalie Portman – Excellent
    Meryl Streep – Good-ish, but quite a bit of soliloquies in this performance, and should have won years ago for TDWP while Mara or Davis won this one.
    Jennifer Lawrence – Shit. Was thoroughly outacted by Cooper. Riva should have won easily.
    Cate Blanchett – Excellent, but in recent weeks, Adele Excharchopoulos’ and Lea Seydoux’ works in Blue is the Warmest Colour grew on me to a point that if they were nominated, I would have really liked them as winners either one.
    Julianne Moore – Okay, but a much better performance was robbed, and we all know which one I’m referring to.
    Brie Larson – Okay-ish, but ALOT of histrionics made her look desperate for awards attention.
    Emma Stone – Shit. Portman was fucking robbed.

Did..did I write this? Completely agree with everything.

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

Sandra Bullock – Meh, the others weren’t drastically better so i don’t hate it like everyone else
    Natalie Portman – Fraud, just like the movie
    Meryl Streep –  her third should’ve been one true thing and glenn close should’ve taken this one
    Jennifer Lawrence – 🙁 poor Naomi
    Cate Blanchett – Excellent
    Julianne Moore – Okay, but every other nominee except felicity jones was better
    Brie Larson – Nope, Ronan should’ve won
    Emma Stone – NOPE

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

I love pretty much all these actresses so I’ll comment on whether or not they deserved the wins here for their specific performances.

Marion Cotillard: I sadly still haven’t seen La Vie En Rose, so I can’t say, but when I was watching the ceremony that year, I assumed Ellen Page would win for Juno because so many critics had the film among their best of 2007; Roger Ebert had it at #1.

Kate Winslet: Her win here was deserving, although ideally it should have been her second win. I think she should have won her first for Titanic over Helent Hunt in As Good As It Gets.

Sandra Bullock: I’ll defend her win here. A lot of people hate for winning this, but looking at the competition that year, Bullock to me owned her film more than the other nominees that year.

Natalie Portman: Easily one of the best Best Actress wins of the 21st century. Holy moly, this was a transcendent performance!!

Meryl Streep: She truly embodied Margaret Thatcher in an only okay movie, but Viola Davis was a revelation in The Help and should have won.

Jennifer Lawrence: Many of my friends defend her win here because they adore Silver Linings Playbook to death. I however, see many flaws in the film, mainly David O. Russell’s over-the-top directing, which made its way into the performance. Jessica Chastain was way more grounded in her performance in Zero Dark Thirty and should have won.

Cate Blanchett: Phenomenal performance, but the movie ended on a cliffhanger and didn’t give her character a definitive, final ending. Sandra Bullock though, she was the movie Gravity, and she should have won.

Julianne Moore: Phenomenal performance and truly well-deserved of its win.

Brie Larson: Phenomenal performance and another well-deserved win.

Emma Stone: I adored La La Land and this is Stone’s greatest performance, but Natalie Portman was once again transcendent in Jackie. She literally became Jackie Kennedy. I did not see Natalie Portman there.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Marion Cotillard: Excellent
    Kate Winslet: Poor
    Sandra Bullock: Average
    Natalie Portman: Excellent
    Meryl Streep: Good
    Jennifer Lawrence: Good
    Cate Blanchett: Excellent
    Julianne Moore: Average
    Brie Larson: Good
    Emma Stone: Average

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Marion Cotillard: Great
    Kate Winslet: Great
    Sandra Bullock: Awful (Would have given to Carey Mulligan but really anyone)
    Natalie Portman: Great
    Meryl Streep: Great
    Jennifer Lawrence: Good (Would have given to Naomi Watts)
    Cate Blanchett: Great (Would have marginally given to Emma Thompson)
    Julianne Moore: Average (Any of Aniston, Pike or Blunt should have had this)
    Brie Larson: Average (This was Maggie Smith’s year. Blanchett and Mulligan were also superior)
    Emma Stone: Good (Would have given to Portman or Blunt but don’t begrudge)

ReplyCopy URL
    LaChienne
    Participant
    Topics:

Marion Cotillard: Excellent and deserved. No complaints.
    Kate Winslet: Blah win via rather weak year. Would have preferred Hathaway
    Sandra Bullock: It wasn’t even that bad of a performance but as a Best Actress win it was nigh indefensible. Would have preferred Mulligan/Sidibe.
    Natalie Portman: I know this is a GD golden cow but I’m an Aronofsky hater so I can only rate it so high. Plus the category also had two performances I liked better in Lawrence and Williams.
    Meryl Streep: Pretty good role, but I preferred Mara.
    Jennifer Lawrence: Suffered massive hype backlash along with Lawrence herself. Preferred Riva or Watts. But it’s not the Satan win it’s made out to be.
    Cate Blanchett: No complaints with the win but I preferred goddess Exarchopoulos. Oh that’s right, she wasn’t even nominated. Fuck the Academy. So with the nominees as it stands, deserved.
    Julianne Moore: I agree it was a makeup win. I preferred Pike to win 100% more, and on a lesser note Cotillard, who made a story about a woman trying not to get fired into a revelation.
    Brie Larson: I didn’t really agree that this was the performance that deserved to have dominated the awards circuit but OK. I liked the film and she was good in the role but my girl Saoirse was slept on as usual, and Rampling was excellent in 45 Years.
    Emma Stone: Nothing to be said here that hasn’t been said on these forums.

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m an Aronofsky hater so I can only rate it so high.

You are my soulmate <3

ReplyCopy URL
    KirbyNicholson
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel I’m the only one that likes Emma Stone’s Win…..

"We will always have Paris"

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 100 total)
Reply To: Best Actress Wins from 2007-2016- Does The Oscar World Love Em Or Hate Em?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.