Home Forums Movies Best Animated Feature (2014)

Best Animated Feature (2014)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
ETPhoneHome
KyleBailey
Tyler The Awe..
  • Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

In honor of the release of The LEGO Movie, and to good reviews at that, I have decided to honor this thread with which animated films next year will get nominated for the big prize.

Because there is no Pixar this year (sniffle), the Oscars will have to give the Oscar to someone else. I picked the nine most likeliest submissions (I am not good at picking foreign submissions, so I vetoed them. That’s what the “other” option is for.)

EDIT: Eliminated Home and Pinocchio since they are not going to be released this year. I want add a few more submissions but don’t know how to do so. A post down below on how to do so would be much obliged.

FEBRUARY 3RD
    ——————————————————————————————–

Book of Life‘s production is a little secretive, but looking at the plot, it looks pretty cool, of course this is going from the plot. It is made from the same production company as Free Birds, which sucked. That being said, the film could get good reviews nonetheless.

The Boxtrolls looks really amazing. Laika was nominated for their previous two films Coraline and ParaNorman. Could this be Laika’s best chance to win an Oscar.

How To Train Your Dragon 2 is the movie that I am most anticipating from the list. Upon hearing that Dragon 2 just breaks new ground and is totally epic and awesome (although the reviews could be lackluster, go figure), I am excited to see this, and I am putting this as the frontrunner for now.

The review for The LEGO Movie are coming in, and it turns out people are glowing. Who would have thought a movie about moving building blocks has captivated critics to give the film great reviews. It has difficulty because of it’s early release date, but that never stopped Coraline or How To Train Your Dragon 1.

Mr. Peabody & Sherman is cute, and fun and looks like a real showcase for good animaton, gags and voice acting. Could it be this year’s Rise of the Guardians, or will it branch out on it’s own and become a serious contender in the mix.

FEBRUARY PREDICTIONS

• Book of Life (Reel FX, Dir. Jorge Gutierrez)
    • The Boxtrolls (Laika, Dir. Anthony Stacchi & Graham Annable)
    • How To Train Your Dragon 2 (DreamWorks, Dir. Dean DeBlois)
    • The LEGO Movie (Warner Bros., Dir. Phil Lord & Christopher Miller)
    • Mr. Peabody & Sherman (DreamWorks, Dir. Rob Minkoff)

New Predictions (August 8th)

• Big Hero 6
    • The Book of Life
    • The Boxtrolls
    • How To Train Your Dragon 2
    • The LEGO Movie 

New Predictions (September 17th)

• Big Hero 6
    • The Boxtrolls
    • How To Train Your Dragon 2
    • The LEGO Movie
    • The Tale of Princess Kaguya 
    Beau S.
    Topics:

With the Pixar-esque reviews its getting and the almost inevitable box office performance, I daresay The LEGO Movie is our first lock for a nomination this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not sure if anyone else liked the first “Rio” movie besides me but I think the second one should be great.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ghost
    Topics:

Mr Peabody and Sherman has been getting mixed reviews, and since Dreamworks has HTTYD2 it probably won’t be a contender. Current predictions:

1. The Lego Movie
    2. How to Train Your Dragon 2
    3. Big Hero 6
    4. The Boxtrolls
    5. Rio 2 

ReplyCopy URL
    vndavid
    Participant
    Topics:

This is a totally different year! Pixar out of the race for the second time in a row (this time we know it won’t be there), that’s a race!
    I guess this is Disney to lose. After Frozen smash at the box office and the support of the critics (undeserved, IMO), we will open a new positive tide along Disney. Big Hero 6 is THE movie for the animated film fans.

‘The Book of Life’ has Guillermo del Toro behind and a great team with such an interesting theme. I’m sure its originality (and the Latin American people from the Academy) will translate this into an Oscar nomination. ‘How to train your dragon 2’ will take another spot. The Boxtrolls by Laika will be the little movie that could and the stop motion animated movie of the bunch (animators love stop motion and adore Laika). For the fifth slot I would expect some foreign entry or the Lego movie. We could have our line up just pretty locked up.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not sure if anyone else liked the first “Rio” movie besides me but I think the second one should be great.

I liked it, I just thought that that year there were better animated films. It would be my fifth favourite, after “Winnie the Pooh”, “Kung Fu Panda 2”, “Rango” and “The Adventures of Tintin”, in no particular order.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

LEGO could be the first American animated film with over a 75 on Metacritic since Toy Story 3.
    Last year only 3 wide releases from the first half of the year got a 75, and Mud/Side Effects/Before Midnight combined are dwarfed in box office power by LEGO.

Big Hero 6 and Dragon 2 should be competition too. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Nick Spake
    Participant
    Topics:

We might as well add The Nut Job and Planes: Fire & Rescue to the list. They won’t be nominated, but they’ll get submitted for consideration. Any idea if there will be sixteen or more animated films released this year?

ReplyCopy URL
    vndavid
    Participant
    Topics:

I think nowadays it’s very easy to get the 16 nominees than before. There are more animated productions, more companies working on this genre and more companies attached to this art. With The Nut Job and Planes 2, I count 11. Plus there’s Song of the Sea (from the creators of The secret of Kells). So at the end we could end up with 12 or 13 plus 3 or 4 foreign GKIDS entries and the Tinkerbell-Disney-movie-just-so-everyone-can-enjoy-the-five-nominees-cathegory.

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

No one has posted here recently, probably because it seems like LEGO might just walk away with it, but will it really have the momentum? I personally think that The Boxtrolls will end up being its biggest competition, and could win. Maybe I’m crazy, but stop-motion is always a good bet, and while there wasn’t one last year, 3/5 of the nominees the previous year were. One hasn’t won since Wallace and Grommit but there is no pixar movie in its way, and that bodes well for it. Also a summer release date is a good place for animated films to win. That’s usually the Pixar spot. Anyone else think it could take down LEGO?

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m dubious that LEGO will make the final nomination slate.  Remember THE SIMPSONS? Fairly good reviews and warm reception, but the animation branch puts its emphasis on quality of visual craftsmanship as opposed to original storytellling or excellence in writing.  So what got nominated that year instead?  SURF’S UP.  (Megacritic 64 vs. 80 for SIMPSONS, comparable to LEGO’s 82)

And let’s be honest, part of LEGO’s appeal is that the animation is well-done but still in a chintzy way (that’s part of the joke).  An undeniably clever and fun enterprise, but I can easily see it getting bumped, especially given the branch gravitating toward more foreign releases, too (6 of the last 18 nods were non-US) 

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

^The foreign film nomination trend has to be considered, but we don’t know the release dates for any foreign films this year yet. “When Marnie was There” could be interesting, but it will likely not come to North America until 2015.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

You can now predict Best Animated Feature in the Oscars 2014 predictions, but only three at a time for now instead of five.

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

It will be 5 by the end I hope? I really hope there won’t be 3 this year, it would be really dissapointing.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

We now have a 17th animated movie for consideration called Henry & Me starring Richard Gere  

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
Reply To: Best Animated Feature (2014)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.