Home Forums Movies Best Animated Feature (2016)

Best Animated Feature (2016)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 367 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

To honour the release of Zootopia coming on Friday, which has so far been really well received by critics, I figured I’d try to predict Best Animated Feature for next year, which already looks to be one of the strongest years ever.

Could it be Laika’s year after an awesome trailer for Kubo and the Two Strings come out? Will the nostalgia of Pixar’s Finding Nemo sequel and (presumably) large box office and fanbase push it for a win? Could Disney win again with a one-two punch of the forementioned Zootopia or the original Disney-Princess movie directed by Disney legends Ron Clements and John Musker? Or could it be someone else entirely. Such an exciting category that I will more than happy to follow for the rest of the year!

Predictions (03-02-16)

• Finding Dory
    • Kubo and the Two Strings
    • The Little Prince
    • Moana
    • Zootopia 
    Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

Dont forget about Only Yesterday from Ghibli. Its a old animation from 1990s but it just came out in USA so is eligible. I saw it, its great and has 100% on RT

1. “Finding Dory” – Pixar
    2. “Moana” – Disney
    3. “Kubo and the Two Strings” – Laika
    4. “Zootopia” – Disney
    5. “Only Yesterday” – Ghibli

6. “The Little Prince” – Paramount”
    7. “The Secret Life of Pets” – Universal
    8. “Kung Fu Panda 3” – Dreamworks
    9. “Storks” – Warner Bros
    10. “Trolls” – DreamWorks
    11. “Ice Age 5” – 20th Centruy Fox

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that the late year Disney offering will stand a better chance, so I’ll go with Moans beating Finding Dory as a very early pick. I don’t know if the little prince is eligible this year, or if it missed it last year, but I think it could have a a shot if it is. Laika has a great track record because of the academy’s affinity for stop motion so if that’s good, it will be a lock for a nomination. Then Studio Ghibli’s Only Yesterday will get the last spot, or it will be a random film that nobody has heard of.

ReplyCopy URL
    Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

So you think Zootopia with 100% on RT is out? And yes thew Little Prince is eligible this year.
    Its going to be very strong category.
    Moana, Finding Dory, Kubo and Two strings should make it if are good. Zootopia is great so i think it will make it. last spot between Only Yesterday and Little Prince

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m going for:
    The Breadwinner
    Finding Dory
    Kubo & The Two Strings
    Moana
    Zootopia

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh wait, I’m reading that The Breadwinner will have a 2017 release.

Was banking on that being this year’s Boy & The World/Secret of Kells/Song of the Sea.  

ReplyCopy URL
    benutty
    Keymaster
    Topics:

lol Zootopia is not going to be nominated why are you guys even trying it

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Because it’s RT score is a perfect 100%, and the box office is already almost 100 million worldwide and it hasn’t even opened in the U.S. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter Logan
    Participant
    Topics:

Having seen The Little Prince last Christmas, I can say that it will undoubtedly be a major factor in the race. Considering Zootopia’s 100% Certified Fresh rating, it will definitely be in as well.
    Finding Dory looks more like a Toy Story 3 than a Cars 2 based on the trailer, so it’ll probably make it in. It’ll need to be really good to win though considering the competition (which it very well could be). 
    Moana also looks promising, but I haven’t heard or seen much about it to say for sure.
    On paper, this is a three way race between the Little Prince, Zootopia, and Finding Dory. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

Zootopia is a lock with these reviews, box office (will make 300+ domestic) and is about diversity problems. Maybe even will get screenplay nom

And yeah Finding Dory looks very good on trailer

ReplyCopy URL
    Jalal Haddad
    Participant
    Topics:

Unless Finding Dory receives a huge amount of critical support I could see the animation branch shocking a lot of people and leaving it out, similar to when they left out Monsters University.

This early on I’m going to predict the race is between Moana and Kubo and The Two Strings. It all depends on critical acclaim and what creates the winning momentum. Of the two I think Kubo has a slightly better chance at winning the Globe so it might have a slight edge.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eduardo Galhardo
    Participant
    Topics:

My predictions…

1. “Finding Dory” – Pixar
    2. “Only Yesterday” – Ghibli
    3. “The Little Prince” – Paramount”
    4. “Moana” – Disney
    5. “Kung Fu Panda 3” – Dreamworks

Alternatives: “Zootopia” – Disney; “The Secret Life of Pets” – Universal; “Trolls” – DreamWorks 

ReplyCopy URL
    Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

Why Only Yesterday would be ineligible? Doesnt matter that it was released in 1990 in Japan. All that matters is USA premiere.

Kung Fu Panda could be in play because previous films of this franchise got nomination.

And dont count out Secret Life of pets which looks like Toy Story.

ReplyCopy URL
    benutty
    Keymaster
    Topics:

[quote=”benutty”]

Because it’s RT score is a perfect 100%, and the box office is already almost 100 million worldwide and it hasn’t even opened in the U.S. 
    [/quote]

The LEGO Movie 

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

^That’s also what I’m thinking. Movies with this early a release rarely factor into the race. It doesn’t matter how successful they are, they just don’t get remembered almost a year later.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 367 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.